Overclocked with CCC too much, can't reset settings

jamiethemorris

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Hi everyone, I was messing around with my Gigabyte HD 6850 trying to overclock it with CCC and I did a little too much and crashed windows. Luckily, I don't have it set to open on startup. I booted into safe mode and went to preferences>reset settings, and also moved the 3 files inside Appdata/local/ATI/ACE, thinking those 2 things would reset my configuration. I don't even know why it's still crashing windows, it seems like there should be no way for it to use anything but the default settings. But anyway, I think it's safe to assume that the settings are still set the same, although I can't see them because windows crashes before CCC even starts up. Also, if I try to load a game it crashes Windows now, which is very strange since it shouldn't be loading CCC in that situation.

I'm going to try uninstalling CCC, is there anything else I should do?

First, you should overclock in MSI Afterburner. While CCC will do the same thing, MSI Afterburner has many more features.

Can it not load into Windows regular?

And an easy way to do it is to just physically take out the card and boot, then run Windows, then shut down and put the card back.

Its not the most simple way, but I find it usually works, as when Windows installs the drivers, everything is reset back to stock.