ATI AGP 8X video card

Tacoboy

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Need to find the best ATI AGP 8X video card I can for $20-$30?
Have an older vista dual core computer using built in graphics and it's graphics performance is showing it's age.

This will depend on what support for newer cards your motherboard has. the best first course of action is to look up the makers website and check for GPU support.
Next, if this is limited you can check the net for a third party Bios that adds support for different GPU's to those supported officially.
Although to be fair your budget will probably restrain your choice considerably. Your probably best looking second hand on internet auction sites.

What is it that you are looking to do with the new card ?

Mactronix :)

Tacoboy

Distinguished
May 13, 2006

My old roommates HP Pavilion A527X (using on-board video) is having sluggish graphics or texts is covering other text, scrolling will freeze.
When playing music videos, graphics will freeze, but audio keeps playing.
Tried everything software and drivers wise I could thing of to speed things up, but on luck.
So though installing an add-on graphics card might help.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
HP Pavilion A527X

AMD Athlon(T) XP 3000+ running at 2.10 GHz:

Advanced 400 MHz front side bus
Socket A

Chipset
Via KM400

The radeon 4670 AGP is overkill and is worth double the price of the actual computer.

The XP 3000+ when released was not bad at all, but now, I am not 100% sure it even has the power to play a 720P youtube video.

With that said, perhaps a used agp Nvidia Geeforce 4 MX or Ti, or a radeon 9600 would do serve it well... It's also they generation of cards that went with the hardware at the time.

Not sure where you are located but I would recommend a new "Old" computer considering I see that budget maybe limited.

I suggest looking within kijiji, craigslist or similar and to get a 90$ to 150$ computer that sports at the very minimum an 939pin, AM2 or LGA775 CPU.

Something with one of these cpus
Athlon X2 3800 to 6000+
Core2Duo with about 1.86Ghz

I purchased a few days ago the following
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-Lenovo-IBM-E6300-Core-2-Duo-1-86GHz-1GB-80GB-DVD-100-W0QQAdIdZ387097060
I got 2 of them for 180$

The big flaw of the above station is that it doesn't even have a PCIE that is capable of a standard videocard.... But they run great for basic needs or VOIP servers :)

Tacoboy

Distinguished
May 13, 2006

ATI RADEON 9600, guess I'll check those out, thanks.

Sounds to me like you could use one of ATI's old AIW (All in Wonder) cards. 9600 or 9800 should do just fine.
When I had my 3000+ rig built I specified the 9800 AIW as it was the top end AIW card back then and I was keen to get the media benefits of such a card. I upgraded it to a X800XL which is/was a more powerful card than the X800 pro, but you are right that you wont do much better for the price.
Just make sure that what ever you get you get the driver disc that came with it or you could find yourself hunting around trying to find a driver that works properly.

Mactronix :)

TRENDING THREADS