Weird lines on the display. Video card fail??

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hi!
When trying to start my computer I get these weird vertical lines on the display. Windows is able to boot but after 2 secs or so the display fucks up and then black screens. My best guess would be a corrupted video card. I'm using a HD4870x2.

I have had this problem a year ago but back then I was able to solve the issue by completely remove the video drivers and reinstall them. Since this is not working I don't know what to do. :(

Hope u guys can help me out :)

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If you uninstall the AMD drivers and rely solely on Windows drivers, do you get the same symptoms on the screen ? If you don't, then I suggest you do a memory diagnostics first.

If problem persists with Windows drivers, either, then try to boot to Safe Mode. Run HWMonitor to check for voltages and temps. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

By the way, what is your OS ? Your other system components ?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Yes, that is a GPU problem.

Mainly running at extreme temps cause that, try cleaning it, and your case too if it is not clean, most of times that fix overheating issues.

There are a few things to consider before saying that the GPU is dead, for instance, what is your Power Supply, how old is your computer? maybe now your PSU isn't handling properly the ammount of energy that your 4870x2 is using causing it to work at wrong voltages displaying that kind of problem.

But if your case is already clean, your PSU is good enough to handle it. and you have already upgraded/rollback drivers and it was not the driver that was causing this problem, I would consider buying another GPU.

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Sorry for not being more specific.
I'm running
Windows Vista 64-bit
Core i7-920 running at 4.0 ghz
6 gig corsair 1500 mhz
850W PSU

Thanks for the help so far! I'll try what u said and let you know :)

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

Actually I have never cleaned my video card so can u give me some advice on how to clean it?? :)

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007

Remove the card, use some compressed air to blow the entire thing out. If you feel comfortable doing so, remove the cover and fan and blo/wipe off everything using compressed air and a quality cleaning solution. Clean the contacts. Replace the thermal compound (if applicable) and reassemble.

As long as you're doing all this you might as well blow all of the dust out of the case while you're at it. Be sure to hold the fan blades so they don't spin while you blow air on them.

If all that doesn't fix the issue your card is fried.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

There are a lot of ways of doing so, and depends on how much you know about it, the way i would do it, is remove to case and check if there is dust, if there is, and then use a very soft brush to remove the dust.

There are other ways, like blowing air from the back of the card "don't let the fan spin". (do that outside because depending on how much dust there is, the room will be full of it ^^)

Some people open it and clean with Q tips it also can work.

Just don't drop water into it, and don't use any material that conduct electricity.

TURN OFF the computer before doing any of those.

EDIT:
If you never did it, probably is good doing so, but to be sure you can use any software that measures the GPU temp to check if it is really high.

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Okay it seems like gpu temps has nothing to do with it. I just took the card out cleaned it and put it back in. Everything seemed to work when I windows booted. But as usual when I opened a video game the card crashed again.

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

/Users/Hensch/Desktop/Foto den 19-10-2012 kl. 15.53.jpg

/Volumes/KINGSTON/tomshardware.jpg

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
The gpu temps was low about 57 degrees celsius. I would have posted a couple of screen shots that I managed to take before it crashed but I can't post them...
I will try to uninstall the drivers again and see what happens when running just the windows drivers

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
this is kinda strange... I have managed to stay in windows for 10 minuttes without any crash or any weird behavior. The been has even been 86 degrees and everything works fine. This is weird....

tobiashensch

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

I bought it mid 2009 so it's about 3 years old :)

If I may ask you guys about something. Is it possible that a single software can screw up the video card? It seems like every time i launch FSX with a specific aircraft it crashes. It works with every other aircraft. And what is very strange is that after a crash it is not able to boot into windows like if the driver has been damaged in the process...

bloodoak

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
For you to post the picture you have to first upload them somewhere. I can recommend http://imgur.com.

You can't just copy the local path into your comment as if it was a locally hosted html file :)

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

It is possible that a software is stressing the gpu to a level were it crash, but i don't think that a software would be "forcing the crash" it is just a software that requires a lot of gpu power, and maybe when the gpu gets there it can't handle and crashes (could be due to a problematic/weak PSU) or Overheating, or simply the card is on the final days.

When the GPU turns of it is normal to see a driver crash problem, i don't think that it is causing the gpu to fail, and if you said that you have installed other versions already it should not be it.