I haven't done a build in a while. Please advise.

r3dsix

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I'm sure you've never seen a thread like this before. Sorry...

I'm pretty out of touch with the new computer tech. My job and other hobbies have kept me fairly occupied. I'm looking to build a new gaming rig and wanted to start with my case. My lian li pc 62 was a great case but slightly cramped to work in and my friend(who I need to stop listening to) went on and on about how great his antec case is. so I saw a twelvehundred on sale and pulled the trigger. Well that was my first mistake. all the super cool kid mother boards all seem to be e-atx which the twelve hundred cant handle. :??:

so since I screwed myself once, I'd rather get feedback before making further decisions. :lol:
I plan on buying everything in a couple of weeks, so not a huge rush. After e-window shopping during work this is what Ive come up with:

Intel i5 3570k
Corsair H50 cooler
ASUS sabertooth Z77 MoBo
G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM RAM
Corsair CSSD-F240GBGS-BK SSD

I plan to use my current graphics card setup for now, maybe a pair of 680s later. Also gonna tack on a mass HDD

g-unit1111

Titan

r3dsix

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Thanks for your advice, ive modified my list. I've put everything on a newegg public list and am now just deciding on a mother board. ive narrowed it down to 4. I've had good experience with all of these manufactures. Although i did once get a kind of funky board from asus once, an Ai series.

Any input on the boards?
is thunderbolt gonna be the bees-knees? or is it just the latest thing they can try and sell you?

here is a link to the list
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20856765

On a side note, I like to name my computer after ones found in movies, tv shows, or books. If you're curious about the wishlist name.

g-unit1111

Titan

Thunderbolt will definitely be worth it if you transfer videos to your computer or large amounts of data, or work with ultra high resolution displays.

As for the motherboards on that list go with either the Gigabyte or the Asrock.

r3dsix

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Thatnks for your help. I settled on the asrock. Its a little cheaper and looks like it has pretty much the same features.
Buying crap soon!