Low Volume

VAA

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop. I am having trouble with low volume. I have all settings at 100% but still hard to hear. Have to put speaker up to my ear to hear, but then can't watch screen. No volume button on the outside anywhere.

Solution
I have the same laptop and had the same issue. In case you didn't already figure it out, here's the fix...

1. Right click on bottom right speaker icon
2. Click on the little speaker above the sound bar
3. Click on advanced
4. Select a higher 24 bit mode
5. Click apply/ok

Problem solved. The sound quality isn't great on this laptop even when it's finally loud enough to hear clearly, but at least you'll be able to hear your media comfortably. Hope the delayed response helps everyone having the same issue. Otherwise, I got this laptop for under $300 about 6 months ago from Walmart, and for a bargain basement computer it works fine and handles video streaming and mp3's great. Good luck! Jim

bigj231

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Try playing media from a different source. I.E. YouTube instead of Windows Media Player.
Check the sound settings in windows by right clicking on the little speaker icon on the taskbar next to the clock.
Select "Playback Devices".
Click on the speaker that is having problems.
Click on "Properties".
Go to the "Levels" tab.
Drag the slider(s) all the way to the right.

If that doesn't fix it, you might want to look into returning the laptop or sending it in for warranty repairs.

VAA

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

bigj231,
Thank you for the advise. My level tab in properties is already all the way to the right. I don't understand a computer not coming equipped with a volume button. Makes no sense to me. I will try the "you tube" suggeston.
Thanks again!
VAA

jmartinco

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I have the same laptop and had the same issue. In case you didn't already figure it out, here's the fix...

1. Right click on bottom right speaker icon
2. Click on the little speaker above the sound bar
3. Click on advanced
4. Select a higher 24 bit mode
5. Click apply/ok

Problem solved. The sound quality isn't great on this laptop even when it's finally loud enough to hear clearly, but at least you'll be able to hear your media comfortably. Hope the delayed response helps everyone having the same issue. Otherwise, I got this laptop for under $300 about 6 months ago from Walmart, and for a bargain basement computer it works fine and handles video streaming and mp3's great. Good luck! Jim

Solution

VAA

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

THE 24 BIT WORKED! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!
Vicky