How does this $260 upgrade look?

Will be doing a fair bit of handbreaking etc on this PC and also hoping to use it to play games on decent settings.

Upgrading from P4 HP desktop.


This is what I have so far.

Mobo : http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8659
CPU: http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8616
Ram: http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=9823
PSU: http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8638
GPU: http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8733


So how well did I do?

and how well will it perform in games (bf3, skyrim etc)
Plus will it handle rendering etc?

I think its pretty good for the price.
14 answers Last reply
More about upgrade look
  1. I would try to grab a dual channel kit (2x2gb, 2x4gb). It will run most games out there at high and bf3 medium/high.
  2. zooted said:
    I would try to grab a dual channel kit (2x2gb, 2x4gb). It will run most games out there at high and bf3 medium/high.

    Yeah in a week or 2 I'm going to grab another 4GB stick (same ram) and yeah thats the kind of settings I was hoping for ^_^
  3. Actually, what kind of performance hit will I be getting if I use single channel ram? Very relevent or not really that much?
  4. Almost none. You can barely tell the difference in benchmarks either.
  5. BreadWhistle said:
    Almost none. You can barely tell the difference in benchmarks either.

    Alright cool, Btw, Should I get an aftermarket cooler instead of another stick of ram?
  6. BreadWhistle said:
    Almost none. You can barely tell the difference in benchmarks either.

    Alright cool, Btw, Should I get an aftermarket cooler instead of another stick of ram then?
  7. I suppose you could. But really you aren't going to get a very high clock out of the Athlon.
  8. BreadWhistle said:
    I suppose you could. But really you aren't going to get a very high clock out of the Athlon.

    I won't be pushing it to far, probably see if I can get to 3.4GHZ or so, Ive seen people clock higher but it gets a bit buggy on llano aparently.
  9. So, Is their anything you guys would suggest me to change?
  10. I'd stay away from powercolor GPU's. Their cooling isn't very great.
  11. BreadWhistle said:
    I'd stay away from powercolor GPU's. Their cooling isn't very great.

    Yeah, I think I'm going to get the MSI or Sapphire version, they seem to be quieter and OC better.
  12. Everything seems good. But that CPU won't get you very far for long. I'd save up for atleast an i3 3220 (Or whatever is out when you do upgrade) but that shouldn't be very soon. Since that Athlon is a quad core, it extends it lifetime a bit longer.
  13. BreadWhistle said:
    Everything seems good. But that CPU won't get you very far for long. I'd save up for atleast an i3 3220 (Or whatever is out when you do upgrade) but that shouldn't be very soon. Since that Athlon is a quad core, it extends it lifetime a bit longer.

    Yeah, But $50 for the quad core, or $45 for the dual core celeron... I Prefer the Athlon xD
  14. Lol, I meant as in an upgrade. Seems fine as it is.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Games Systems