Sign in with
Your question

Buying a PC

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2012 11:39:53 AM

I am planning to buy a PC mainly for gaming purposes and for streaming my gameplay with XSplit.

I managed to set-up the following config:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
Memory: Kingston 8192MB HyperX Beast DDR3 1600MHz CL9 KIT
VGA: Gigabyte GV-N66TOC-3GD GTX660Ti 3GB GDDR5
HDD: Western Digital 1000 GB Caviar Blue 7200rpm 64MB SATA3
PSU: Chieftec CFT-650-14CS 650W
CASE: Aerocool VS-3

This is the best config I could come up with considering my budget.

What worries me is that I am not really sure if that motherboard is good enough. I do not know what is the difference between the above one and a more expensive one.
I am also not sure about the CPU. I do not know if I should go with the 3770k or a 2700k would be enough. I do not plan or overclock and I am not sure if I should buy CPU cooler or the one that comes in the box from intel would be enough.

I do not have huge requirements toward this config. I just want to be able to play the newest games in 1980x1080 w/ medium graphics for the next couple(2-3) years

note: sorry for my English, it is not my first language

More about : buying

December 9, 2012 1:55:45 PM

If you're not gonna OC don't bother with the i7. for gaming a 3450 is all you'd need.
December 9, 2012 2:07:07 PM

Quote:
note: sorry for my English, it is not my first language

Could have fooled me! :) 

My first thought was to worry about the power supply you selected, but according to this XBitLabs review, it's made by the same company that makes Corsair power supplies (Channel Well) and they use a similar layout to Seasonic and FSP.

The motherboard should be fine. Just make sure it has all the expansion slots. internal USB and SATA ports you're looking for. Generally speaking, what makes one motherboard more expensive than another is the total number of PCI-E, and the number of the latest USB (3.0)/SATA (6.0Gb/s) connections it has, and what northbridge, southbridge chip-sets it uses.

Since you do not intend to overclock the processor, you do not need a "K" series processor (CoreI7 3770 vs. CoreI7 3770K). For a gaming system, you should probably drop down to a CoreI5 processor anyway. You won't gain anything in gaming when using an I7 over an I5. So based on your budget, I'd recommend a Core I5 3750 if possible or drop down to Core I5 3470 and put the $15 you save towards a better graphics card.

Finally, since you're not overclocking, you will not need a third party cooler as the stock Intel cooler should suffice in keeping your CPU cool. However, you may wish to consider a cooler if you later determine that the stock cooler is too loud when spinning at high speeds.

The rest of your system looks fine to me.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
December 9, 2012 2:10:00 PM

Hey OP what's your budget I'll put together a build, If you don't feel like reading all that^
December 9, 2012 3:10:05 PM

Oops wrong thread cx
December 9, 2012 3:10:45 PM

OOPS LEL. wrong thread. multiple tabs. sry.
December 10, 2012 3:03:27 AM

Thank you for the answers. I decided to go with the Intel Core i7 2700k. I've read that 3770k has a minimal gain over that one (4% overall, from what I understand). I'd prefer to stick with the i7 due to the fact the streaming uses a hell lot of computing power.

Now, just to make things more complicated, I cannot decide if I should go with the video card posted above.

Comparison

GV-N66TWF3-3GD is not yet available in my country although it looks promising. I do not know if I should wait for it. Would +1 GB of VRAM make any difference?

Note: I'd like to stick with Gigabyte as I had that in my previous system and I had no problem with it.
!