Sign in with
Your question

DVDROM not recognized in Setup (IDE Config)

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 9, 2001 2:33:48 PM

Samsung SD-612 12X DVDROM Not recognized in Setup (IDE Configuration)

I just got a new CDRW TDK Internal 16x10x40. It replaced the SONY CD-R/RW CRX140E-DL. When I installed the TDK, I installed it as the Secondary Master also changed the jumper to master. I also changed the DVDROM to Secondary Slave from Secondary Master. I also tried using cable select on both the TDK and DVDROM. TDK plugged into end of cable & DVDROM plugged into middle of cable. The DVDROM is still not recognized either by using cable select or setting the TDK as Secondary Primary and the DVDROM as Secondary Slave. In the System control panel under device manager both the CDRW and the DVDROm are working properly.

I tried flashing the BIOS again as per Dell. I had A11 and flashed it again with the most current BIO which is A11. This did not correct the problem.

The DVDROM works because I can play DVDs on it. In the system device manager (the CDROMS) CDRW & DVDROM are running properly.

TDK recommended that that the CDRW be set as Primary. If I set the DVDROM as Secondary Master & TDK as Secondary Slave, the DVDROM will show up in the IDE config as Secondary Master. Does it make a difference in burning CDs if the burner is set as Secondary Primary or Slave?

DELL XPS T800R
A11 BIOS
WIN98SE
512MB RAM
40.0 GIG Maxtor HD (Primary Master)
40.0 GIG WD HD (Primary Slave)
Samsung SD-612 DVDROM (Jumper set to Secondary Slave)
TDK 16x10x40 CD-R/RW (Jumper set to Secondary Master)
HP970CSE Color Inkjet
Visioneer 4400 Scanner

Thanks
December 9, 2001 3:01:23 PM

It shouldn't make much difference whether it's master or slave. I've got a DVD master w/RW slave and everything works just fine.

Dorr, Michigan (home)
December 9, 2001 6:15:48 PM

Are you getting some kind of error message during the POST?

From what I can gather from the thread, the only problem is that the new DVD is not being recognized in the BIOS. Is that correct?

Generally, the settings in the BIOS for an optical device are "AUTO". Optical devices are not recognized the same as hard drives in the BIOS... you don't have to set the tracks, cylinders, etc.

You mentioned that the DVD and CR-RW are identified in the Device Manager, and that the DVD is functional. Is the CD-RW also working properly? (As in, actually functional, not just identified as such.)

It doesn't really matter which device is the Secondary Master and which is the Secondary Slave. If they are jumpered correctly, and both working without errors, then you don't have a problem.

Note: You should be aware that when flashing the firmware of an optical device, it is usually a good idea to temporarily have only the device to be flashed on the cable until the process is complete. Afterwards, you can reconnect both devices back on the same cable.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847&lt;/A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 9, 2001 9:13:30 PM

Thank you for responding.

The TDK CDRW and Samsung DVDROM are bothing working properly (Plays DVDs & Burn CDs). I actually flashed the system BIOS not the the optical drive. This community is so much better than DELL's community or Phone technicians. After numerous calls to DELL, one of the technicians told me that the DVDROM will not show up in the IDE configuration even if its jumper is setup as a slave unit so my desktop is ok. If I setup the DVDROM as the Master and the CD Burner as a Slave, the DVD will show up as Master and the CD Burner as Slave using cable select jumper or specifying the DVDROM jumper as Master and the CD Burner jumper as Slave.

Thank you for all your help!
December 16, 2001 9:52:16 AM

avoid to put cdr & dvd on the same channel

avoid setup them to master but slave

put each one on each channel as slave

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.
!