~$650 First Time Gaming/Video/Photo Editing PC - Questions!

InfinityDelta

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hello All,

As my christmas present to myself this year, I plan on building a gaming and video/photo-editing PC. I have a rough idea of what I want, but also a few questions I would like to have answered. Without further ado, my parts list:

[Link to PCPartPicker, which I am using : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rEdK]

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($96.42 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($78.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 ($15.00)
Other: Rosewill RFA-120-K 120mm Case Fan [X3] ($15.00)
Total: $680.23

Now, my questions :)

First and foremost, if you see something that doesn't look like it's going to fly with this build, please say so :) :na:

Now on to the more specific questions:

1.) PCPartPicker has picked various sites for me to use, based on the cheapest price, sometimes by 5 cents and other times by $10. I have heard amazing things about NewEgg's RMA policy, and am wondering if you guys have ideas on whether to go for all NewEgg, or whether to get some from Amazon and NCIX where the part(s) are considerably cheaper. The FX 8350, for example, is 40 bucks cheaper at NCIX.

2.) I have chosen to go with an AMD 8 core processor, as AMD says they will be using AM3+ for at least a few more generations, and I would prefer decent future-proofing. I am on the line, however, between getting an 8350 or getting a 8320 and the Hyper 212 cooler and OC'ing. Are they the same chip, with one simply set at a higher clock?

3.) If I end up going with the Hyper 212, people say it's huge, and covering some RAM slots (in some cases), and often just barley clears the side of their case. Do you guys think it will fit? Should I just go with the 8350? :D

4.) I need a display - I'm pretty much thinking larget size : cost ratio. Objections? ;)

5.) I plan on using this system for moderate gaming, such as LoL, but not anything like MW3 anytime soon. Is the 7750 a good enough GPU? I'd prefer not to go crazy, as I already have to find a way to shave 50 bucks off this build (Ideally).

6.) Is a 32GB SSD a large enough boot drive? I'm kind of short on money, as I said above. Should I just stick with the 64?

7.) Last but not least, I'm thinking I will wait until around the 15th to get this - Is that smart? Should I just start getting stuff now?

My Apologies for the long post, but I am a complete n00b to this stuff, and I would prefer to have as few surprises as possible while building this - Kinda like going to the dentist. :kaola:

Thanks in advance, have a good Christmas/Hanukkah/whatever you celebrate, and cheers! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

∞∆

Michael31

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
1.Okay first of all you are missing RAM on your PC part picker and if you are really going for a good Gaming, Editing, Video-making machine you are going to need a better GPU, You might want to get 8 gb of RAM.

2. If you are on a strict budget I would get rid of your SSD disk completely, The price for a faster startup is in my opinion not worth it, I used to have an SSD but went back to HDD because of the cost for the benefit.

3. The good news is you now have 60$ you can spend on a much needed better graphics card. For a gaming, editing machine the most important things are a CPU and a GPU.
I would recomend the GTX 650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130828 only 120$ and you get Assassins creed 3

If you can swing the price the GTX 650Ti would be a much better buy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121669 about 160$ and you get Assassins creed 3

4. The Hyper 212 Evo should fit in your case and not obstruct the ram, it doesn't with my case the corsair 300r.

5. You might want to find a new case because The Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports. Thats not that big of a deal but you might want to take advantage of those usb 3.0.
See if you can find a new case if not no bid deal.

6. If you really need to just shave money of the build keep the build the same and remove the SSD, Your current Radeon HD 7750 Will be able to run games like LoL just not at ultra graphics with out some frame rate issues.

Good Luck on your build

InfinityDelta

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
OK - So I have updated the PPC page to have ram, no SSD, and the new video card. However, I still have a few questions.

1.) Does anyone have a recommendation for a case with USB 3.0 in this price range? I really like this case, I find it looks pretty cool and is really cheap.

2.) NewEgg Question Remains - Have other people had OK experiences ordering for NCIX? Should I just stick with NewEgg and bite the bullet?

3.) If in the future I decide to get another 650 and SLI them, will my PSU be able to support that?

4.) Is this a good quality PSU? It seems like a good deal, but from an OK brand like CoolerMaster.

Cheers Again!

∞Δ

InfinityDelta

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Thanks Again for the great advice - It appears that I am back for round 2.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfgj

A good 50% of my build has changed - PSU, Cooler, and MOBO. Do these choices make sense?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($139.00 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($60.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 ($15.00)
Other: Rosewill RFA-120-K 120mm Case Fan [X3] ($15.00)
Total: $794.91

The only reason this is even close to my price range is because of sales and the like - $794 represents pretty much noting except the CPU on sale, but price history shows most things significantly cheaper, most of the time. Anyway, do you guys have input on this? It could be the final build.

I have opted to go with the GTX, as it seems to only occupy 1 PCI-E slot, and I would like the option to run SLI.

The PSU, I realized I was playing it cheap, and so I just manned up and got a better quality one. I'm debating going with a 8320 to save cash - Do you guys think that is a smart choice?

Thanks in advance!

∞∆