Client-Server System Setup

mob259

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I have some questions regarding a system I want to set-up. First, I'll give an overview of requirements.

REQUIREMENTS
Components
■ Client machine (X-server) has 2.80GHz and 2GB RAM (I think I'll be able to get better than this but this is a worst-case scenario)
■ Terminal/Application Server machine (X-client) is a Dell PowerEdge 2500
■ Data server machine is a Dell PowerEdge T310
■ Connections will be over standard ethernet cables
Functionality and Performance
■ All machines will be varying
■ The client should be able to perform the following with the terminal/application server:
■ Perform system administration of both servers
■ Launch processor-intensive (but not graphics-intensive) applications via GUI
■ Build applications with application server software via GUI
■ Build intranet pages with content management system via GUI
■ Access data and files via GUI
■ The terminal/application server should use the data server as the store from which user files are accessed. The data server will essentially have a flat file structure, while the terminal/application server will render html documents, etc. and add a layer of frontend organisation to the file system.
Security
■ Everything will be local, so this shouldn't be a problem

QUESTIONS
What I specifically want to know is what protocols and software I should use to:
(a) connect the terminal/application server to the data server
(b) connect the terminal/application server to the client
From what I understand some of my options for (b) are as follows:
■ Remote video connection, e.g. VNC, NX (too processor-intensive for client? privileges?)
■ SSH with X (limited GUI functionality?)
■ Fileshare (only data?)
■ Thin client server software, e.g. Edubuntu (don't know whether this can provide functionality outlined above)

As for (a) I believe a fileshare should be sufficient, but am unsure of any higher-level software that may add extra functionality.

Any clarifications, corrections, etc. please say!
Thanks.