Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Studio XPS 435T Won't POST without manufacturer keyboard

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2012 3:26:45 PM

Hi everybody. Quick question. I have a Dell Studio XPS 435T that will not start without the keyboard that came with it from the factory. The computer will absolutely not POST without the keyboard. I have tried other keyboards, and it will not start. I thought that this was very odd. :heink:  Any ideas??
December 9, 2012 3:41:52 PM

macmooda said:
Hi everybody. Quick question. I have a Dell Studio XPS 435T that will not start without the keyboard that came with it from the factory. The computer will absolutely not POST without the keyboard. I have tried other keyboards, and it will not start. I thought that this was very odd. :heink:  Any ideas??
. Just so everybody knows, I am not crazy. I know how all this sounds and looks. The computer runs fine when the keyboard from dell is plugged in, but without that keyboard, no good. Will not work. I use the computer all time. The only reason I discovered this is because I took it to a friends house to download some really big files and did not take the keyboard with me. When I set it up there, without my keyboard it would not post. I could not figure it out. I brought it home plugged it all back in and worked like a champ. It made me think. Tried a different mouse. Worked fine. Different monitor worked fine. (not that any of this should matter to a computer starting up) Then I tried a different keyboard. The computer would not start up. Just sat on the Dell splash screen. Would not post. Plugged the dell keyboard back in and boom, computer posts and not problems what so ever. I sat there dumb founded for a few minutes. Then tried the whole thing over again. I just can't figure this out. I have never seen anything like this.
December 9, 2012 3:58:21 PM

Was one a USB keyboard and the other a PS2 keyboard?
Related resources
December 9, 2012 6:41:40 PM

getochkn said:
Was one a USB keyboard and the other a PS2 keyboard?

Nope they are both usb keyboards. It is a really weird issue.

Best solution

December 9, 2012 7:00:34 PM

A shot in the dark, but check in BIOS if there is an option to disable keyboard error messages. Does another keyboard work if you plug it in after Windows boots?
January 19, 2013 4:00:19 PM

Best answer selected by macmooda.
!