Sign in with
Your question
Closed

1 gtx 690 vs 2 gtx 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2012 12:28:36 AM

Hello, I was wondering if i should get 1 gtx 690 or sli 670's. I have been doing TONS of research and was just trying to get more opinions on the card. I am planning on using nvidia surround and want 60 fps on games ultra.

Concerns
1. Although the 690 is 1 card it is multiple gpu. i have read that the gpu's have 2gb each of vram and games are already utilizing 2 gb and more. ]
2. With SLI i have heard complaints of microstuttering. Is there a way around this.

ANY FEEDBACK WILL BE AWESOME :D  :D  :D 

ps. dont suggest amd because i have had horrible driver support from them in the past :lol: 

More about : gtx 690 gtx 670

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:33:29 AM

GTX 690 = only 2GB of vram...2Gb not 2Gb per gpu. because the card is in SLi the vram doesn't stack so you only get 2Gb of vram not 4Gb... same goes with 2Gb 670/680. You will only get 2Gb of vram... if you got a two 4GB 670's or two GTX 680 4Gb's then you would have the 4Gb of vram you need. Me personally I might would get 2 of those 4Gb ftw 670's. Microstuttering? yes there are now ways around micro stutter. so its not as bad as it was.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:33:39 AM

I would go with two 670's it's cheaper and pretty close to the same performance i have two 670's and have no microstuttering doesn't mean you won't but i doubt it.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:37:22 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I would go with two 670's it's cheaper and pretty close to the same performance i have two 670's and have no microstuttering doesn't mean you won't but i doubt it.

Just the person who i wanted to show up and contribute.. I was thinking: now i know someone here with two 670's already...
Score
October 20, 2012 12:38:15 AM

Rockdpm said:
GTX 690 = only 2GB of vram...2Gb not 2Gb per gpu. because the card is in SLi the vram doesn't stack so you only get 2Gb of vram not 4Gb... same goes with 2Gb 670/680. You will only get 2Gb of vram... if you got a two 4GB 670's or two GTX 680 4Gb's then you would have the 4Gb of vram you need. Me personally I might would get 2 of those 4Gb ftw 670's. Microstuttering? yes there are now ways around micro stutter. so its not as bad as it was.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is what i thought was 4gb. or is it

This is the 670 i was thinking about getting

EDIT: fixed the link
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:49:43 AM

gah i explained it one time today i guess I can get in the mood to explain it again. See while the GPU's are all on one card.. there still has to be a SLI Chip in there to allow communication between the two GPU's. Now like 2 seperate GTX 680's (GK104's) in SLI with a SLI ribbon cable or whatever some call it. the SLI chip on the 690 acts as a sort of ribbon cable that works very similar. now how does this explain why the card doesn't actually have 4GB of vram which its listed that it does.. wel you take 2 seperate 680's or 670's or whatever and plug them up... check your available graphics memory. It will tell you on the monitor plugged into that graphics card that you have 2Gb's of vram well both cards have 2gb's on them So while the cards in SLi doesn't share vram to one monitor. You can plug 1 monitor to one card and that card and monitor will feed eachother data and Vram, plug another monitor to the 2nd card and it works just the same way... So why doesn't the 690 work like this? well while both options are in "SLI" you only technically have 1 card to work with versus two seperate cards.. so you can load down the 690 with monitors but your gonna get 2Gb's of vram... now i can't go much deeper than that for you. AND believe me its a very confusing process and if i was a Hardware engineer employed by NVIDIA believe me I'd be working my *** off to design the ability to stack vram but logically it won't happen really because you cant transfer Vram through a ribbon cable unless the cable was...

Well you get the idea hopefully...
Score
a c 268 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:50:20 AM

From a performance point of view, they are comparable solutions.

But, I see some advantages to the GTX690.

As a single card, a GTX690 will require only a 620w psu compared to 750w for sli GTX670.

The microstuttering issue is not there. Both of the GTX680 gpu's in the gtx690 are managed entirely within the card itself, so there is no timing issue in combining the rendered output.

It will run cooler.

It does not require a more expensive sli capable motherboard with two well separated pci-e slots.

It comes with 4gb of vram. How it is managed internally, I don't know. Since all the GTX690 resources are managed within the card, it is probably better allocated than with separate independent cards. Regardless, 4gb vram does not seem to really be any performance benefit according to this test:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Pe...

The downside is that it will cost a bit more.

Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:51:55 AM

kaoticxfalledhd said:

this is what i thought was 4gb. or is it

This is the 670 i was thinking about getting

EDIT: fixed the link

I was thinking of getting the Superclocked 670 w/backplate my self... really want it soo bad.. but i kinda would like to either see what the 700 series does and how much better its actually gonna be and cost.. versus getting a will be cheaper 680 signature super clocked or even a Classy
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:57:01 AM

geofelt said:

As a single card, a GTX690 will require only a 620w psu compared to 750w for sli GTX670.

The microstuttering issue is not there. Both of the GTX680 gpu's in the gtx690 are managed entirely within the card itself, so there is no timing issue in combining the rendered output.

It will run cooler.

It does not require a more expensive sli capable motherboard with two well separated pci-e slots.

It comes with 4gb of vram. How it is managed internally, I don't know. Since all the GTX690 resources are managed within the card, it is probably better allocated than with separate independent cards. Regardless, 4gb vram does not seem to really be any performance benefit according to this test:

the 690 is Unnecessary unless you wanna sound cool when you say i just got a 690... I mean so the card looks good but is that the only reason why you got it? I just can't see paying over a grand in some places for a single card (Dual GPU) versus two cards that will do fine and no the microstuttering isn't that bad anymore with all the programs you can run to eliminate it.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 12:58:09 AM

geofelt said:

It will run cooler.

I would agree with this if you don't mind the price so be it i wouldn't though ;) 
Score
a c 268 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:00:55 AM

Rockdpm said:
the 690 is Unnecessary unless you wanna sound cool when you say i just got a 690... I mean so the card looks good but is that the only reason why you got it? I just can't see paying over a grand in some places for a single card (Dual GPU) versus two cards that will do fine and no the microstuttering isn't that bad anymore with all the programs you can run to eliminate it.

I don't have a GTX690 because I don't need one.
I was just pointing out what I see as some alternative arguments.
And... it does look nice.
At this price point budget is probably not an issue for the OP.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:04:56 AM

geofelt said:

My appologies geo if i sounded like i was trying to rare at it. I just wanted to make a point clear that the 690 isn't a good choice because of the whole sli vram thing... unless your playing on a single monitor then your fine and dandy
Score
October 20, 2012 1:07:27 AM

Rockdpm said:
My appologies geo if i sounded like i was trying to rare at it. I just wanted to make a point clear that the 690 isn't a good choice because of the whole sli vram thing... unless your playing on a single monitor then your fine and dandy

im am using nvidia surround at 5760x1080 lol
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:09:22 AM

geofelt said:
That's true if they want to spend that go for it i recommend you read these reviews first OP then decide http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/gefor...
http://hexus.net/qabgvv
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:10:52 AM

kaoticxfalledhd said:
im am using nvidia surround at 5760x1080 lol

Yea then that answers your question right there... get the 4Gb 670's.. But still read Bigcyco's articles he listed.. they might can tell you something
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:12:04 AM

If you are getting a 690 you are probably going to be looking at or have a fairly decent mobo with at least 2 capable pcie lanes anyway , if not then somethings not right about the build...

A decent amount of the budget should be allocated to the PSU as well...

I reckon 2 670's is the better deal and not only for price to performance, I recall seeing a benchmark that had shown only a couple of % difference...

Sometimes you'll find yourself having to disable sli to play some games and in those cases the 670 can overclock a bit whereas the 690 with its down-clocked cores wont budge at all really...

I vote the 670's they can handle pretty much anything at the moment..

Edit: Just seen your res, recommend 4gb versions
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:13:50 AM

Single 670 plays everything flawlessly at around 60-70fps average on most every game at 1080p
Score
October 20, 2012 1:17:09 AM

Here is build if interested

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.93 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($116.93 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($424.86 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($424.86 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH232H 23.0" Monitor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2439.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:35:37 AM

Very nice parts list.. unless you want gigabyte I'd say you got a very nice overall system.. but let me ask you this.. your computer case you picked. did you pick that case because you like the way it looks and if so are you comfortable with its features and layout. because a computer case can look dark sexy and have WORST cable management and features placement over others that were cheaper. the 500R is a mighty fine case and does decent with cable management but.. for the money i'd rather have a scout 2
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:53:38 AM

i gotta say for gaming, the I5 3570K is all you need unless your going to be doing nothing but battlefield 3.. BF3 loves hyperthreading even still my i5 handles bf3 easily thanks to the work of the 670
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 1:56:13 AM

I forgot hes going to be needing the i7 my bad mate
Score
October 20, 2012 2:11:48 AM

The dual 670s are better deal, and they're easier to cool since you have two separate heatsinks than one heatsink on them.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:18:20 AM

Dual GPU's will be hotter because they obviously like "A bad day" said, they don't have much room to breath since its Chip next to chip on a a power hungry card
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:21:15 AM

Good selection of parts, not really much to critique, but if I had to I would get a different case and PSU... If you wanted to stick with corsair the 600t would be a better option, airflow can make some substantial differences and the PSU I would stretch to the AX for better cm/looks/airflow
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:28:29 AM

paddys09 said:
Good selection of parts, not really much to critique, but if I had to I would get a different case and PSU... If you wanted to stick with corsair the 600t would be a better option, airflow can make some substantial differences and the PSU I would stretch to the AX for better cm/looks/airflow

I think one of the reasons he went with HX was because of the blue modular connections on the power supply. But yea your right bitter Airflow case and a better quality power supply but the HX series is just fine
Score
October 20, 2012 2:32:17 AM

Thanks everyone for posting.

I will be getting the 670ftw 4gb from your suggestions.

I really do appreciate all the feedback.
Score
October 20, 2012 2:34:02 AM

Best answer selected by kaoticxfalledhd.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:37:05 AM

kaoticxfalledhd said:
Thanks everyone for posting.

I will be getting the 670ftw 4gb from your suggestions.

I really do appreciate all the feedback.

not a problem. If you ever have any questions or want to talk hardware or learn more. PM me or any other member, were always here to help YOU. Again glad we were able to help you make your purchase
Score
October 20, 2012 2:39:18 AM

1 thing i am 99% sure this will not happen but could my i7 bottleneck my gpu's??
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:44:47 AM

No but the EVGA FTW run a bit hot i will get a better case if i was you just a suggestion do as you prefer
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:46:15 AM

bigcyco1 said:
No but the EVGA FTW run a bit hot i will get a better case if i was you just a suggestion do as you prefer

Yea i might would try to get a little bit bigger case.. the CM Storm Stryker is white and is only like what? 30$ more?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:48:00 AM

kaoticxfalledhd said:
1 thing i am 99% sure this will not happen but could my i7 bottleneck my gpu's??

No you should encounter a bottleneck. and if there was one, itd be small enough to counteract with a overclock from your CPU. the aftermarket heatsink you picked out should get you to 4.4GHZ with your i7
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 2:58:45 AM

Rockdpm said:
I think one of the reasons he went with HX was because of the blue modular connections on the power supply. But yea your right bitter Airflow case and a better quality power supply but the HX series is just fine

The HX is semi modular and the sleeving on the attached cables isnt the greatest IMO and has fewer options for upgrades to it, but yea like I said I was being fussy the HX is a fine choice...

I think he will be very happy with the build either way

Edit: The case is the real bit of info to take on board, I was fairly shocked when I first saw the difference that 200mm fans made to noise/performance especially on the graphics
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 3:02:41 AM

Rockdpm said:
Second link takes me to Newegg page. But the Haf 932 was and still is a record breaking case and is a lot of people's favorite full tower
Thanks for heads up i posted it correct this time :lol: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 3:09:30 AM

oh wow same price
Score
October 20, 2012 3:14:11 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Thanks for heads up i posted it correct this time :lol: 

I have done more research and i do like this case. Any problems i should encounter??
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 3:22:29 AM

kaoticxfalledhd said:
I have done more research and i do like this case. Any problems i should encounter??

So you still like the 500R? well just be warned if you get the 500R, your airflow won't be as much as it would with a full power nor will your components have as much space... the 500R should be ok. Me and bigcyc like to have plenty of room for our parts to breath cooler and more space. But a persons computer case is of his own personal preference so i don't recon we can change that
Score
October 20, 2012 3:31:25 AM

Rockdpm said:
So you still like the 500R? well just be warned if you get the 500R, your airflow won't be as much as it would with a full power nor will your components have as much space... the 500R should be ok. Me and bigcyc like to have plenty of room for our parts to breath cooler and more space. But a persons computer case is of his own personal preference so i don't recon we can change that

LOL MY BAD i didnt post link LMFAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 3:39:41 AM

kaoticxfalledhd said:
LOL MY BAD i didnt post link LMFAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Nope, I approve of that case. But if i were you i'd get the blue one that bigcyco recommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119213

Since everything else thats in your build has blue to it. for the most part its the same exact case as the one you linked except it just comes with blue fans instead of red ones and a tad bit smaller but still has the side part for a 200mm
Score
October 20, 2012 4:00:26 AM

Rockdpm said:
Nope, I approve of that case. But if i were you i'd get the blue one that bigcyco recommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119213

Since everything else thats in your build has blue to it. for the most part its the same exact case as the one you linked except it just comes with blue fans instead of red ones and a tad bit smaller but still has the side part for a 200mm

Edit: how is cable management

holy *** that case is a beast! has 3 230 mm case fans. ill take it! Thanks bro
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:33:33 AM

Thank bigcyco he's the one that recommended the case. I just merely re-linked it!
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:34:08 AM

kaoticxfalledhd said:
Edit: how is cable management

holy *** that case is a beast! has 3 230 mm case fans. ill take it! Thanks bro
:lol:  Your welcome!If you need anymore help just let us know. ;) 
Score
!