New rig for gaming, school. personal use

CalicoPatches

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase/build as soon as possible. My budget range is approximately $800.00 USD. I will use the system for gaming, school, and personal use.

The rig must be minimum:

Hardware and Periperals
Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
6GB System RAM
Wifi and blue tooth capable
1024x768 resolution monitor or greater and supporting video card (3D Capable preferable)
Sound card with speakers
CD-ROM drive
Computer microphone
A web camera capable of video web conferencing and editing

Operating system:
Windows® 7
Microsoft Office2010 (PC)
Office suite must include Microsoft Access.
Recommended is Microsoft Office Professional Academic 2010 (PC)

Adobe® Reader 9.0 or later
Adobe Flash plug-in 10.0 or later

also it must be able to handle:

Microsoft® Visio®
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
Microsoft SQL server
Red Hat Linux
Adobe Flash Professional
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Acrobat Standard
LabSim from TestOut
Oracle Database XE

Game programs I use regularly:
Dofus
WOW
RLC
Skyrim

Need Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers. Possible overclocking. I am not stuck on brands.... just know that I want the best I can afford that will be future proof/upgradable. I also want to ensure that the graphics card is discrete and that the power supply is more than sufficient to power anything thrown at it.

Any suggestions for builds would be greatly appreciated.

His budget is kinda silly low...

OP, are you saying you want a mid-quality tower with a monitor, sound card, speakers, microphone, webcam....

AND windows 7, and Office 2010 professional?

It looks like you just copied+pasted from your school's website of requirements, but I can tell you that you're not going to get that for anywhere CLOSE to $100.

Windows 7 is $100, the Professional version of Office is $250, a monitor will cost you about $150, then you have all the other crap...

So say we have $300 - a webcam, speakers, ect... (Oh, and a high-end motherboard that has bluetooth connectivity, for whatever reason) and that budget has to include a SOUND CARD? Be happy with onboard audio. Also, I'd say to be happy with onboard video, because your demands are way too high for your budget.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

That being said, are you sure you're not looking for a laptop? Because of the low resolution screens and features typical in laptops, you may be able to find what you're looking for there. (Though either way, you won't be able to game well.)

CalicoPatches

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
The budget I posted within the post is 800.00 and I am female. Furthermore, the specs were minimum requirements from the school.... I was listing what I do regularly. Thanks for the responses.

Apologies on your gender, but it still stands... in order to meet your school's requirements, you're going to have to up your budget - as it is, your monitors, webcam, speakers, ect... would cost more than the computer itself.

What sort of school is this? It's inane to "require" a sound card for anything but music editing... It's also extremely odd that they require bluetooth connectivity, since basically no desktop has it - there's no need.

I'd call your school, and talk to them about why they actually require such things - if anything else, they should be supplying such things as the $250 Office Suite, when you could get the students' version (but without access) for about $30.

CalicoPatches

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I honestly don't plan on buying the office suite that they recommend. I can do away with the blue tooth and sound card as well. I just copied and pasted what they sent to me.... maybe the advisor was sending what they had to run on their end.

CalicoPatches

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
No,
I wont continue to use the laptop. And yes, I am looking for a desktop. My laptop is just barely holding on as is. I have decided to gather the necessary prices/build and purchase all round income tax time to be able to bolster my budget.