Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Photo + Video editing rig around 1500-1800

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2012 5:05:31 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a rig mainly for my photo + video editing works. I will mostly use Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom + Premiere Pro combo. Might use Vegas Pro occasionally, too.
Other things that I might do with my PC are casual gaming and watching HD Videos.

This is the build that I already made : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rFQ3

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (C9)
HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (6TB total)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 660W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Total: $1653.66

It's all still open for suggestions, but there are 2 things that I'm not really sure :
- CPU cooler : I never build any rig that's using a lot of CPU resources before, so I'm not really knowledgeable on this. Is CM 212 Evo the way to go ? Or is there any other better budget CPU cooler ?

- Graphics : I'm not sure if I need graphic card for a Video editing machine. Most of the retailers in my area (Singapore) don't sell GTX570 anymore, so I go with 670 for now. I definitely can cut back to GTX660 Ti (or lower) if graphics is not that important.

Oh, and I'm going to use Cooler master K350 for the case.

I won't need a Windows copy, keyboard, mouse and monitor. Just going to build the box.

Thanks for your help guys! :) 

Best solution

December 9, 2012 10:01:23 PM

Quote:
- CPU cooler : I never build any rig that's using a lot of CPU resources before, so I'm not really knowledgeable on this. Is CM 212 Evo the way to go ? Or is there any other better budget CPU cooler ?

The Hyper 212 Evo is a great solution and it's not that much money. Another good choice would be the Noctua NH-U9B.

Quote:
- Graphics : I'm not sure if I need graphic card for a Video editing machine. Most of the retailers in my area (Singapore) don't sell GTX570 anymore, so I go with 670 for now. I definitely can cut back to GTX660 Ti (or lower) if graphics is not that important.

The 670 is a good choice for gaming but for professional graphics it would be better to go with something like a Fire Pro V5900. You can use gaming cards for professional uses but you can't use professional cards for gaming.

Quote:
Oh, and I'm going to use Cooler master K350 for the case.

Not sure I'd trust $1650 of components in that case - it would be better to invest in a good case, that's one thing that you will use and reuse again so having a good one is important. Try an NZXT Phantom or Corsair 400R instead. If you post the store you're buying from that will help to suggest a case. The rest of the build looks really good.
December 10, 2012 3:31:14 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. This definitely helps.

Quote:
The 670 is a good choice for gaming but for professional graphics it would be better to go with something like a Fire Pro V5900. You can use gaming cards for professional uses but you can't use professional cards for gaming.

I was also researching on the Quadro/FirePro option, but decided to use a non-pro card instead since I won't do a lot of 3D works. Do you think my video editing work would benefit a lot from the pro cards ?
If not, I think it would better if i cut back on this. I have the 1800 budget, but definitely it would be better to hit the 1500 point than the 1800 one :p 

Also thanks for the input for the case..would definitely consider these two cases. Looks like the NZXT have better reviews overall, though.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 3:40:57 AM

Quote:
I was also researching on the Quadro/FirePro option, but decided to use a non-pro card instead since I won't do a lot of 3D works. Do you think my video editing work would benefit a lot from the pro cards ?

Depends on what you want to get out of it. I've used Fire Pro cards and they handle extremely fine redraws very well. But that doesn't mean that a gaming card can't handle that either. Like I said you can use gaming cards for professional uses but it doesn't work the other way around.

Quote:
Also thanks for the input for the case..would definitely consider these two cases. Looks like the NZXT have better reviews overall, though.

NZXT makes some great cases. If you post where you're buying I can check and see if there's any others I usually recommend.
m
l
December 10, 2012 4:30:23 AM

Quote:
Depends on what you want to get out of it. I've used Fire Pro cards and they handle extremely fine redraws very well. But that doesn't mean that a gaming card can't handle that either. Like I said you can use gaming cards for professional uses but it doesn't work the other way around.

Cool, So I think I would go around and check for GTX570/580 first since they offer GPU acceleration for Adobe products and can definitely help me indulge in some gaming :) 

Do you think GTX 670/680 will ever support Adobe acceleration ? If they do, I guess I'll invest the extra 100 dollars for the better card.

I probably would walk around my local electronic mall and get parts from here and there.
But these are the 2 main stores that I will visit :
http://fuwell.com.sg/uploads/misc/Fuwell081212.pdf
http://www.best-bargain-computers.com/pricing/pricelist1.pdf

And here's the other store that do sell NZXT cases : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13691724/PC_Themes_components_2012_12_08.pdf

Oh and the budget i posted is in USD, not SGD like in these pricelists.

Thanks again for your help!
m
l
December 10, 2012 4:36:43 AM

Quote:

Cool, So I think I would go around and check for GTX570/580 first since they offer GPU acceleration for Adobe products and can definitely help me indulge in some gaming :) 

Do you think GTX 670/680 will ever support Adobe acceleration ? If they do, I guess I'll invest the extra 100 dollars for the better card.

All NVIDIA cards support CUDA - even my low end 550TI that I use in my HTPC does. So yeah the 670 and 680 do support it. I'd go for the 670 myself.

Quote:

I probably would walk around my local electronic mall and get parts from here and there.
But these are the 2 main stores that I will visit :
http://fuwell.com.sg/uploads/misc/Fuwell081212.pdf
http://www.best-bargain-computers.com/pricing/pricelist...

That second list didn't look like it had much of a selection but from the first one I'd highly recommend the Fractal Design Define R4, the Corsair 500R and 550D, and the Antec P280. The Phantom 410 and Phantom Full Tower are excellent choices as well. I like the Phantom 820 but it's a monster case and very expensive.
m
l
December 10, 2012 5:22:17 AM

Quote:
That second list didn't look like it had much of a selection but from the first one I'd highly recommend the Fractal Design Define R4, the Corsair 500R and 550D, and the Antec P280. The Phantom 410 and Phantom Full Tower are excellent choices as well. I like the Phantom 820 but it's a monster case and very expensive.

Thanks for the recommendation for the casings. Looks like the fractal design packs the same features and performance in a slightly smaller form factor and cheaper price. So, I might go with that now.

So, It looks like this right now, just below the 1800 mark :)  :

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($148.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.00 @ B&H)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($102.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 660W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.74 @ Mwave)
Total: $1761.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-10 02:20 EST-0500)

Definitely an interesting build, and thanks a lot for your help.

Looks like I'm settling with this build, maybe researching a bit more on the motherboard. But I guess Z77X-UD3H is a good choice for value.
m
l
December 10, 2012 7:23:30 AM

Best answer selected by rvm123.
m
l
!