Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Only 60hz on 120hz LCD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 20, 2012 3:37:16 AM

I have a COBY 32" LCD 120hz tv that I bought to use as my PC monitor. It supports VGA and HDMI - currently using VGA. My video card is the MSI GTX660ti DDR5 2GB Power Edition OC Edition. Both of these components should support 120hz. I dont' get what the problem is. Currently, coming out of TV via VGA and into DVI on card (via VGA to DVI adapter - Dual Link) into card. The resolution is fantastic - full native 1080p. Just a hz issue.

Ive gone into every config I can see and there is no option to go above 60hz. I even tried setting a custom setting using 120hz but it says it does not support it and kicks back out.

This TV
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coby-32-Class-LCD-1080p-120hz...

This Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : 60hz 120hz lcd

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 3:50:41 AM

The TV does not have real 120hz, unless I am mistaken and there are TV's that do, all TVs have an actual refresh rate of 60hz, they just insert frames between other frames to give it that documentary look(frame-interpolation).

You're out of luck it appears. You need a monitor for 120hz.
Share
October 20, 2012 4:03:30 AM

edogawa said:
The TV does not have real 120hz, unless I am mistaken and there are TV's that do, all TVs have an actual refresh rate of 60hz, they just insert frames between other frames to give it that documentary look(frame-interpolation).

You're out of luck it appears. You need a monitor for 120hz.


And that's a best answer.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 177 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:14:46 AM

There are tvs that are actual 120hz. Even tvs that interpolate are still 120hz but are only inputting 60hz, so to say their refresh rate is only 60hz is incorrect.

The issue is vga, it does not support 120hz. Hdmi would need to be 1.4, and I can't seem to find what version the tv is.
m
0
l
October 20, 2012 4:29:48 AM

I originally was using HDMI to HDMI (tv to vid card and still 60hz), but the settings were not quite right (had to do some manual resizing of the screen) so I ended up using the vga port and everything snapped into place. Weird that VGA would not support 120hz yet support 1080p. I read thru the entire manual and no specifics about the vga port. Really nothing mentioned about the refresh rate at all. When VGA is in use, the tv does have something under "computer settings" called "Clock" and "Phase" with slider bars 0-100, but didn't seem to have any effect.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:33:56 AM

k1114 said:
There are tvs that are actual 120hz. Even tvs that interpolate are still 120hz but are only inputting 60hz, so to say their refresh rate is only 60hz is incorrect.

The issue is vga, it does not support 120hz. Hdmi would need to be 1.4, and I can't seem to find what version the tv is.


HDMI 1.4 only support 60hz. The closet to 120hz it gets is HD3D at 720p at 60hz per eye.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:35:31 AM

drivium said:
I originally was using HDMI to HDMI (tv to vid card and still 60hz), but the settings were not quite right (had to do some manual resizing of the screen) so I ended up using the vga port and everything snapped into place. Weird that VGA would not support 120hz yet support 1080p. I read thru the entire manual and no specifics about the vga port. Really nothing mentioned about the refresh rate at all. When VGA is in use, the tv does have something under "computer settings" called "Clock" and "Phase" with slider bars 0-100, but didn't seem to have any effect.


In conclusion though, you can't get 120hz on the TV; it won't accept anything above 60hz. And VGA supports up to 2048×1536 @85hz.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:35:57 AM

drivium said:
I originally was using HDMI to HDMI (tv to vid card and still 60hz), but the settings were not quite right (had to do some manual resizing of the screen) so I ended up using the vga port and everything snapped into place. Weird that VGA would not support 120hz yet support 1080p. I read thru the entire manual and no specifics about the vga port. Really nothing mentioned about the refresh rate at all. When VGA is in use, the tv does have something under "computer settings" called "Clock" and "Phase" with slider bars 0-100, but didn't seem to have any effect.

You won't get 120hz at 1080p with a VGA connection. However, if you were wanting to try, right click the desktop, choose screen resolution, then select advanced properties, select the monitor tab, and refresh rates can be adjusted there. However at 1080p, you won't be able to see 120hz.
m
0
l
October 20, 2012 4:40:27 AM

Sounds like a lost cause. I'm just trying to squeeze the most out of my new pc rig. I know when you watch a movie at 120hz the picture looks so fluid. Oh well, can't have it all I guess. I appreciate all of the responses.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:48:11 AM

drivium said:
Sounds like a lost cause. I'm just trying to squeeze the most out of my new pc rig. I know when you watch a movie at 120hz the picture looks so fluid. Oh well, can't have it all I guess. I appreciate all of the responses.


I can understand. 120hz is nice, but TV's aren't setup to except input beyond 60hz.

I never realized how bad 60hz TV's can look until watching a couple scenes where there was a view that panned horizontally across a plain (Beginning of Cowboys and Aliens for example). 60hz looks fine when the scene doesn't move too fast side to side, which most movies don't do, but looks really choppy if they do. With gaming, there is the added latency that is even worse.
m
0
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:54:45 AM

1.4b does support 1080p/120.
m
0
l
October 20, 2012 9:50:01 AM

k1114 said:
1.4b does support 1080p/120.


Is that to say that I should be able to achieve it with my setup? Or is that just informational... :)  ?
m
0
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 10:09:46 AM

That's just informational.
m
0
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 20, 2012 4:10:04 PM

I found it. 1.4b supports 120hz.

Quote:
HDMI 1.4b was released on October 11, 2011.[145] One of the new features is that it adds support to 1080p video at 120 Hz.[146] All future versions of the HDMI specification will be made by the HDMI Forum that was created on October 25, 2011.


You have to have 1.4b for it to work. I have 1.4a, which is why it doesn't work for me, and you also do not have 1.4b.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
m
0
l
October 20, 2012 4:45:25 PM

Damn - I wish I could choose more than 1 best answer. You have all shed a lot of light for me. Cheers to you all. Tom's hardware is the shiz. Thanks all.
m
0
l
October 20, 2012 4:47:00 PM

Best answer selected by drivium.
m
0
l
!