Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer Crash, Lines Across Screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2012 5:24:51 AM

So, I have had this computer for about a month now, and just a couple days ago I have been getting this problem. When playing a game the display crashes to a screen of vertical lines and after a few seconds the sound stops as well. I have to restart my computer to fix it. I have normally been having this problem about once a day and it is pretty random. Normally when it happens, I am alt tabbing back into a game, but sometimes it has happened where I am just playing normally and it crashes. I have the most updated drivers and overheating is not an issue. I have my CPU overclocked to 4.2ghz and my GPU overclocked as well. I am trying without my GPU overclock but since it happens randomly it is hard to tell whether that is fixing the problem.

I have an idea that the problem is related to either a bad PSU or a bad GPU. I do not think it is because of my CPU or its overclock but I could be wrong.

Specs:
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
RAM: Ripjaw G-Skill 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair 650w
Case: Coolermaste HAF X
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio
HD: Western Digital 1TB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB
DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW

Picture of Screen:
October 20, 2012 4:33:47 PM

Bump
Score
October 20, 2012 5:39:48 PM

Check out MyPcBackup! It is a easy, fast program that will backup your whole computer. If your compuer happens to crash, at least save your files. I don't know why the screen does that, but I had a similiar problem. I just backed up my computer, and then re-formatted it afterwards. Then all I had to do was log in to my MyPcBackup account and download my stuff again. It was really easy! Get your free download today http://goo.gl/eLJSm
Score
Related resources
October 20, 2012 9:42:59 PM

Bump, just wanted an opinion on whether this is a power supply or video card issue. I am most likely going to get a new video card but I would like to be sure.
Score
October 20, 2012 11:49:35 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem.

I originally posted this is a thread they they have since closed, even though several people were having the same problem and the issue remains unsolved:

"I have an AMD Radeon HD 6700 video card; brand new in a brand new PC and I'm getting these pink screen lock-ups (with vertical dark pink lines over a lighter pink background), not whilst watching You Tube, but frequently in games, very irritating!

It's been doing it a lot in "Rise of Prussia", a graphically undemanding 2D strategy game that I'm currently playing."

Since posting that the screen is now generally a blue-grey, but with the same vertical lines, and does it 2-4 times per 8 hours (a complete lock-up requiring a hard re-boot), it's driving me nuts!

I have an ASUS motherboard as well, and it is also a brand new PC (3 months old).

In the old thread some thought it an Nvidea problem, my and your cards are ATI family so it isn't a graphics card problem it seems.

Can anyone help us!
Score
October 21, 2012 8:22:45 PM

Bump
Score
!