A very odd problem PLEASE HELP!!!

zazally

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
First of all lets start off with my PC specs.

i5-2500k @3.3ghz stock.
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Ripjaws Gskill ram 8 gig DDR3
Asus P8Z68-VPRO motherboard.
2 Radeon 6950 2 gig cards crossfire XFX.
Corsair HX professional series 850 wat power supply.

I am having a really weird problem, I know nothing about computers but I know this website is good for solving problems. I can't play games with crossfire enabled in my CCC when I do I get instant hard locks the picture freezes and I have to reset my computer there is no other way you can not alt, f4 you can not ctrl, alt and delete to bring up the task manager you have to hold the power button or click the reset button to restart your computer.

I heard that the 12.8 drivers a lot of people were having this problem I rang my technician and he told me to download driver sweeper, express uninstall my CCC and then restart the computer in safe mode and use driver sweeper to clear my AMD display thingy and then reboot into normal windows and download the 12.9 beta drivers but this did not work :(

I have played several weeks non stop with crossfire disabled and I am having no problems it feels like my computer performance is much better higher fps, smoother game play it just feels better which is really weird since crossfire is meant to improve your gaming. I have checked the temperatures of my cards as well they do not go higher then 70 degrees c. I am thinking that one of my cards is busted. Both cards are under warranty.

I would love all the help I can get I really look forward to your replies take care everyone and thank you so much for reading.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yea, take the 2nd card out test them both seperately as your only card installed. See if the card gives you problems gaming with it installed alone. Since you can game fine without crossfire, it's probably your secondary card that's giving you the issues. The secondary card should be the bottom card. However, I'd still test each card seperately first to at least rule out either card being bad.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Driver conflicts/bugs can make a system lock up. If it's hardware related, you should have problems in most games essentially. If it's xfire driver porblems, then you should have problems in certain games and you should be able to find similar cases with the same games from other people on the internet.

It's just going to take some trial and error tests to narrow it down to just xfire/driver issues. The problems you have when trying to xfire game, are they consistent? As in do the problems happen everytime? Or is it a sporadic occurrence?

I have had annoying problems off and on with crossfiring. first time ever. separated cards to different machines, all is well. think the guys at amd are slipping or getting lazy or the ones that really know what they are doing are working for someone else or are or soon will be in the unemployment line.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Well at least that proves that suggests that your cards should be fine. I did have issues like you are experiencing with a single 6950 playing SW:TOR. My system would just lock up randomly and I'd have to reset the computer and reboot. Fought with it for a month or two. Then, I used Driver Sweeper, which I think is now Driver Fusion, to delete everything AMD and installed the latest beta drivers. That worked for me. Since that didn't work for you, it suggests that it might be xfire issues witih specific games. But you should be able to find complaints on the internet of other people having the same problems with the same games if that's the case. What games are giving you problems?

zazally

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
Hello I can confirm my computer works 100% perfectly fine with crossfire disabled. I only get hard locks when crossfire is enabled and I play fullscreen mode on some games it doesn't happen on all games it is very weird.

I am thinking my second graphics card slot on my motherboard is busted?
or is it the graphics card itself?

I know it is one of these. Thank you.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You can test your main card which you know works in your other slot. See if you get the problems. If everything works, test your second card in your main slot. If everything works again, then I would say it's just driver issues. I'm pretty sure your power supply is plenty for 2 6950's. And sorry it took me a few days to respond, I've been moving all weekend and it sucks lol.

zazally

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012

No it's fine good to see that you are safe after moving thanks for this.