GTX 550 ti keeps crashing

SirRagnas

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hello everyone and thanks for taking time out of you day to read this. It would please me very much if my issue can get resolved.

So this past week I have been buying parts for my computer. Every thing except my monitor, is new out of the box from the past week. After installing all the parts to my computer, I run into the issue of my screen will flash a bunch of different colors, and then it will crash. After the crash I will get either a blue screen, it will return to desktop with error message "Drivers stopped working but recovered" (something like that), or my computer will just turn off and restart.

To try and fix this problem I have taken the following actions:

-I have made sure that all drivers from my motherboard to the GPU are up to date.
-I have made registry changes to the TDR.
-I have lowered the clock speeds of my GPU all the way to the minimum.
-I have disabled through the bios the "auto overclock" feature that comes with my CPU.
-I have tested older GPU (VisionTek Radeon 4650 512MB) and it works fine during benchmark.
EDIT:
-updated BIOS to latest version to support the FX4100 (didnt fix GPU error)
-re-installed video drivers

But to no avail the damn thing keeps crashing while I do my benchmark/stress test (will fail during game play as well).

During all these "fixes" I have made sure that my system is under proper cooling, and temps dont rise past operating levels.

Im sure there is more I have tried im just so tired/frustrated I cant think anymore.

This video is almost exactly how my GPU reacts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySxA6BGH_mM

System specs:

Operating System:
-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU:
-AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM:
-8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard:
-Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2P (Socket M2)
Graphics:
-monitor: W2061 (1600x900@60Hz)
-GPU: 1023MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
Hard Drives:
-466GB Seagate ST95005620AS ATA Device (SATA)
-466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-003CA0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives:
-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90 ATA Device

here is a link to my PSU: (700W)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7220655

Possible causes:

I read up that the card requires a +12v rail at a rated 26 amps. The PSU I have has 3 rails at 16 amps each, from what I read that this should not matter because the max power output will be sufficient for the card its self. Before I go out and buy a new PSU I want to make sure that it would be 99.9% the problem.

Also I noticed that my system is registering my RAMs clock speed at 669MHz, when I purchased the RAM it said it was 1333MHz RAM which is the max that my mother board can support. So naturally I purchased it. I went through the BIOS and manuely set the clock speed to 1333MHz but when I load up the system specs it still says 669MHz. I dont know if the GPU uses the RAM as bus to the CPU and if its not communicating fast enough. Could this be a problem?

Summary:

I ask of your help! if you see any error in any thing I have done/have please point it out. I know the GPU could be bad, but like I said this was out of the box new 3 days ago.

Also I was wanting to attempt to un install all drivers and re install just the newest ones, but I have problems doing that. (I dont know how) I will attempt this next, but please read over my issues and post a reply!

SirRagnas

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Reinstalled with the latest drivers. blue screen.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8007F5C4E0
BCP2: FFFFF88013BA1630
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\102012-16208-01.dmp
C:\Users\Ragnas\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-28423-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Rebel1973

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
did u ever clean or blow air out on your PC.......each major part of your PC that has fans needs to be rid of dust and other particles. CPU, GPU, PSU and PC Case....overall....one of your fans are faulty.

SirRagnas

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
All brand new out of box.

Trying to use the "Q-Flash" utlitly to update my BIOS but I keep getting "ID CHECK BIOS ERROR" or something like that.

Tried making USB first boot but nope...

EDIT: I found the Correct Rev of my Mobo and installed the correct BIOS.

I ran a benchmark now and its giving me "nvidia error code 3" then reinstalled chipset drivers just to make 100% sure that they matched my exact mobo, and got another BSOD with the 116 error.

EDIT:

Well I have done just about everything I can think of at this point. So until I get some more feed back im throwing my 4650 HD back in. Sadly this card is out performing the 550 ti by ten folds. Really hope I can get a fix on this thing. Really hope I didn't throw $150 down the drain.

Rebel1973

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
try to get the new 650Ti from Nvidia...it's under 170 USD from Newegg.com. 500 series is completely phased out. Take the 550ti back to the manufacturer to get your refund.

SirRagnas

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I was thinking about exchanging it for a Radeon 6950 I have been nothing but impressed with there cards. I thought the 550 ti was going to be a nice cheap upgrade. Dont think ill be buying Nvidiea again.

In the case of me not being able to get it returned I would still like to be able to fix my current problem. There shoulden be any reason this card wont work on my computer.

Ive just ran out of ideas of how to fix it...