Sign in with
Your question

Do I Need A New Power Supply if...

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2012 6:36:48 PM

Hi guys. I'm currently planning to upgrade my rig as i just got a bonus from my employer this Friday, i was wondering if i could run my gpu in a crossfire setup as im going to add 2 more displays to my current display for an eyefinity setup, so i was wondering if my power supply was powerful enough to run my dual card setup, many power supply calculators state different results, some say ive got enough horsepower but others disagree.

My current Setup is:
CPU:8210 (OC'd to 4.2ghz) (Stock cooler)
Ram: 4x4gb 1600mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Memory
MB: Asrock 990FX Extreme3
Case: NZXT Phantom
Power Supply: Corsair TX-850-V2
GPU: Sapphire Dual X 7970 OC
Hard Drives: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 SSD
2x 5.25 1TB Hard drives (non-raid)
Sound Card: Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion
Optical Drives: 2x DVD Drives
1x Blu Ray Drive
Fans:3x200mm
1x140mm
3x120mm
(all high performance)
2x Blue LED Strips

Exterior:
Keyboard, mouse,headset, webcam, mic ,Wacom Bamboo Tablet, Often Charge upto 4 devices at once on it.

Planning to add:
Another Sapphire Dual X 7970 OC
2x 3tb Hard drives
possibly H80
Raid card

Will my power supply support these upgrades, as results hugely vary for power supply calculators. I am willing to stock clock my gpus if it means i can crossfire them. If i can't have all of those upgrades but can just have certain components run onb my power supply please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

More about : power supply

December 9, 2012 6:48:23 PM

I would say, YES, since you plan to run quadfire. Probably go for like 1200W+ high quality PSU
December 9, 2012 6:59:31 PM

850 Watts should handle all that, just make sure that its not crappy amperage running over the 12 volt line/s. With both cards at max power should draw around 450 Watts, just for the cards. If you are super concerned about it, get a line reader off newegg. Basically you plug it into your wall and plug the computer into it and it will tell you how much juice your computer is currently drawing. If its at least 350 Watts under 850 then you shouldn't have a problem at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
December 9, 2012 7:00:44 PM

yyk71200 said:
I would say, YES, since you plan to run quadfire. Probably go for like 1200W+ high quality PSU

Actually The 7970 is a single gpu card and quadfire is for 2x dual gpu cards or 4x single gpu cards.
December 9, 2012 7:02:51 PM

MotherFerJones said:
850 Watts should handle all that, just make sure that its not crappy amperage running over the 12 volt line/s. With both cards at max power should draw around 450 Watts, just for the cards. If you are super concerned about it, get a line reader off newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Basically you plug it into your wall and plug the computer into it and it will tell you how much juice your computer is currently drawing. If its at least 350 Watts under 850 then you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Thanks Man, ill try that, is there any other way of checking the wattage.
December 9, 2012 7:07:02 PM

MotherFerJones said:
850 Watts should handle all that, just make sure that its not crappy amperage running over the 12 volt line/s. With both cards at max power should draw around 450 Watts, just for the cards. If you are super concerned about it, get a line reader off newegg. Basically you plug it into your wall and plug the computer into it and it will tell you how much juice your computer is currently drawing. If its at least 350 Watts under 850 then you shouldn't have a problem at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Oops. You are right. I confused his 7970 with Dual GPU 7990, my bad. 850W should be enough as long as it is good quality.
December 9, 2012 7:14:30 PM

Not really, any time your testing something invisible you have to have equipment to do so. If you were in the market for a UPS, most UPS's now-a-days have a LCD screen and can tell you all sorts of info like the wattage draw, along with several other pieces of info. I have a 820W UPS from APC with an LCD screen on it, it also came with software so i could monitor the draw from my computer screen.

My setup is

Core i5 2500K
Z68 Gigabyte mobo (cant remember the exact model number)
4GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce edition
Corsair CX 500W PSU
Intel liquid cooling solution for LGA 1155
Samsung Blu-ray burner
60GB Patriot Pyro SSD (OS drive)
128GB Samsung 830 SSD (game storage)
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD (slow storage)
2TB Seagate External HDD USB 3.0(slower storage) (<--has its own PS)

And my UPS only says im drawing 130-150W idle and 200-250W when im gaming. I mean the meter is only 22 bucks, not a bad price to pay for peace of mind.

EDIT: I also have my monitor plugged into it as well, my monitor is a Westinghouse 39" LED TV, doesn't draw much but i figured i put it out there for completion's sake.
!