Sign in with
Your question

Red light CPU/DRAM; no beeps, no video, bent socket pins?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Light
  • CPUs
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2012 7:04:34 PM

Hello, I finally got my build to turn on and stay on, but it makes no beeping sound, and sometimes the CPU red light is on, sometimes the RAM light is on (always one or the other but never at the same time). I've hooked my PC up to my HDTV using an HDMI cable, but it says there is no signal (I'm certain the right source is selected).

After looking over the forum's troubleshooting list, I remembered that some of the pins in my MoBo's CPU socket looked bent when I was installing my CPU. Due to my inexperience, I thought they were just supposed to look that way. Could that be causing the CPU/RAM to light up red, and causing my PC to not be recognized by my HDTV? Is it safe for me to straighten the pins myself?

Here are my components:

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Hard Drive: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Thanks!

More about : red light cpu dram beeps video bent socket pins

December 9, 2012 8:29:55 PM

Here is an image of my LGA 1155 socket. Sorry for the bad quality. Am I right that there are bent areas there?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 206 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 8:34:58 PM

more pins there bent....dont look like install issues looks like shipping damage there bent bad. there more pins bent on the right side of the slot too a few single pins. i call up the shipper and do a claim on the mb also check the cpu for damage/burn marks. i would for safty rma or replace the cpu too. there are a lot of one and two bent pins all over the slot. most time on an install issue you get a small area or one or two pins that you can fix..the pins on the left side look bent and melted.
m
l
December 9, 2012 10:51:26 PM

That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. :( 

The part wasn't shipped to me, I bought it from a local Mirocenter. Hopefully the pins aren't actually melted, and it's just the bad image quality making them look that way. Here's a better image.

On second look, I really don't think the pins are melted, but they are badly bent. I'm going to talk to a friend who build PC's to see if he thinks he can salvage them. Is it pretty certain that the bent pins are causing the other problems I'd mentioned in my first post?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 206 à CPUs
December 10, 2012 3:00:52 AM

yah bent pins and new cpu dont mix well. you can try and make them straight on see if micro center take it back.
m
l
!