BF2 with an TI4200 GF4 card (128MB)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 28, 2005 4:13:17 AM

Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
card ?
Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.

Mark
June 28, 2005 4:25:37 AM

Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
the game is worth buying it.

Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
patch or someting.
seems that BF2 is a big nono then.
June 28, 2005 8:01:07 AM

tnx i will trie it and let it know

Mark
Related resources
June 28, 2005 8:15:44 AM

it works but alot of the times I get half screen or more blue pieces in
it(even when there is nothing happening like looking at a wall, makes
it hard to see your opponent.
could run it on 1280 X 960 without a problem (only those blue pieces)
details set a high as the program would let me.

I hope EA games will come out with a patch because it seems that the
TI4200-128MB has no problem keeping up whatsoever.
June 28, 2005 8:17:35 AM

not worth buying if you have to buy at least a $200(150 Euro) card with
it to play it properly.
June 28, 2005 9:32:02 AM

Personally i think the Ti4200 is capable. i think EA and Nvidia just
codes it so people are forced to upgrade,. they know this aproach works
when its that time.

Mark1 wrote:

> Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
> card ?
> Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> Mark
June 28, 2005 10:28:35 AM

When these things happen I begin to think that mabye the videocard
makers had some influence on the game makers, forcing alot of people to
buy new videocards means alot of cash for them.
June 28, 2005 12:11:55 PM

Borked,
It's not that i have'the 'wrong' grapic card, it's that EA only wants
to support the newest ones, the TI4200 will do very well if the game
would support it, that has already been proven
http://zox.game-deception.com/­downloads/Direct3D/BF2ShaderMo­d.zip

Now it's up to EA to come out with a good support for TI cards, if they
spen so mutch money in making a game they should very well be able to
make it work for good cards like the TI4200.
June 28, 2005 12:14:58 PM

On 28 Jun 2005 00:13:17 -0700, "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
>card ?
>Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.

As previously discussed, BF2 doesn't work with GF4's.
June 28, 2005 12:31:40 PM

On 28 Jun 2005 00:25:37 -0700, "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
>to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
>the game is worth buying it.

Read:
http://www.populartechnology.net/
a b \ Driver
June 28, 2005 3:05:34 PM

"Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
> card ?
> Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> Mark

Here is a download link to a mod that is supposed to make it work. (Thanks
to Filecutter.)
I havn't tried it myself.
http://zox.game-deception.com/downloads/Direct3D/BF2Sha...

Gubb
June 28, 2005 4:11:09 PM

On 28 Jun 2005 04:01:07 -0700, "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>tnx i will trie it and let it know

Just bear in mind that Punkbuster will probably reject such hacks as
cheats and you won't be able to play online.
a b \ Driver
June 28, 2005 5:45:32 PM

Mark1 wrote:
> not worth buying if you have to buy at least a $200(150 Euro) card with
> it to play it properly.

It works well with my 5900XT

regards,

Achtung Ecco
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 28, 2005 6:09:08 PM

Mark1 wrote:
> Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then,
<snip>

Hmmm, you have the wrong graphic card...and it's EA's error??
The nerve of them!!
--
borked
Anonymous

Mark1 wrote:
> When these things happen I begin to think that mabye the videocard
> makers had some influence on the game makers, forcing alot of people to
> buy new videocards means alot of cash for them.

On the other, they shrink their potential market.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 28, 2005 10:32:37 PM

"Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen" <nospam@nospam.no> wrote in message
> Mark1 wrote:
>> not worth buying if you have to buy at least a $200(150 Euro) card with
>> it to play it properly.
>
> It works well with my 5900XT
>
> regards,
>
> Achtung Ecco

Hi Achtung, what settings do you use on your 5900XT?
June 29, 2005 12:16:55 AM

"Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
> card ?
> Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> Mark

basically because EA is working with Nvidia..wonder how much Nvidia did pay
EA to do this...

http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield...
June 29, 2005 1:12:33 AM

> Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
> to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
> the game is worth buying it.
>
> Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
> patch or someting.
> seems that BF2 is a big nono then.

The game is definitely worth buying
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 29, 2005 1:12:34 AM

Bryan wrote:
> "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
>>to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
>>the game is worth buying it.
>>
>>Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
>>patch or someting.
>>seems that BF2 is a big nono then.
>
> The game is definitely worth buying

Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be able
to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience anyway.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 29, 2005 1:12:35 AM

Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>> "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
>>>to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
>>>the game is worth buying it.
>>>
>>>Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
>>>patch or someting.
>>>seems that BF2 is a big nono then.
>>
>> The game is definitely worth buying
>
> Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
> viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
> modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be
> able to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience
> anyway.

I happened to be upgrading, a few days after downloading the demo, from a
system based around a Radeon 8500LE/XP1700 to a Radeon 9800 Pro/XP3000 and
you know what? The game plays exactly the same. It's no more or less fun -
if anything the shortcomings (i.e. dodgy browser) are even more infuriating
on a "good" system. You pay attention to the extra eye candy for all of 30
seconds, before you start actually playing and forget you're even running
it on a different machine.

higgy.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 29, 2005 1:12:35 AM

Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
> viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
> modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be able
> to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience anyway.

I think the main issue people have with this is that the Radeon 8500 is
supported. The 8500 is at best an equal card to the Ti4200 and a lesser
card to the Ti4400 and Ti4600.

The reason that the Ti series is not supported is due to the shader
support being 1.3 with the Ti's and the Radeon supports 1.4. AFAIK this
only affects the performance levels of the cards and is not a graphical
quality issue.

Trouble is the Ti4200 still beats or equals the performance of an 8500
and the Ti4400 and Ti4600 are faster cards.

Essentially Dice are forcing out cards which actually lie within their
'performance bracket' for no real reason. It's akin to supporting a
game to be run on a 256MB card but not on a 128MB card. A 128MB 6800
GPU is still going to be faster than a 256MB 6600.

That's how I understand it - I stand to be corrected.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 29, 2005 1:12:36 AM

higgy wrote:
> Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen wrote:

>>Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
>>viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
>>modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be
>>able to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience
>>anyway.
>

> I happened to be upgrading, a few days after downloading the demo, from a
> system based around a Radeon 8500LE/XP1700 to a Radeon 9800 Pro/XP3000 and
> you know what? The game plays exactly the same. It's no more or less fun -
> if anything the shortcomings (i.e. dodgy browser) are even more infuriating
> on a "good" system. You pay attention to the extra eye candy for all of 30
> seconds, before you start actually playing and forget you're even running
> it on a different machine.

True. The main thing for me, is that the game runs fast and smooth. I
don't know if that can be achieved with Radeon 8500/Ti4200.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 29, 2005 1:12:36 AM

Stoneskin wrote:
> Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen left a note on my windscreen which said:

>>Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
>>viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
>>modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be able
>>to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience anyway.
>

> I think the main issue people have with this is that the Radeon 8500 is
> supported. The 8500 is at best an equal card to the Ti4200 and a lesser
> card to the Ti4400 and Ti4600.
>
> The reason that the Ti series is not supported is due to the shader
> support being 1.3 with the Ti's and the Radeon supports 1.4. AFAIK this
> only affects the performance levels of the cards and is not a graphical
> quality issue.
>
> Trouble is the Ti4200 still beats or equals the performance of an 8500
> and the Ti4400 and Ti4600 are faster cards.
>
> Essentially Dice are forcing out cards which actually lie within their
> 'performance bracket' for no real reason. It's akin to supporting a
> game to be run on a 256MB card but not on a 128MB card. A 128MB 6800
> GPU is still going to be faster than a 256MB 6600.
>
> That's how I understand it - I stand to be corrected.

You are right, it doesn't seem to be an optimal approach. I was
impressed with the flexibility of Half-Life 2 when it came out,
regarding hardware. That should also translate into larger sales...

Valve Software carries out hardware surveys. GForce2-4 card is still the
majority of graphic cards, as far as I remember.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
June 29, 2005 1:12:37 AM

> True. The main thing for me, is that the game runs fast and smooth. I
> don't know if that can be achieved with Radeon 8500/Ti4200.

but you can play with a FX 5200...that card is much slower than a Ti4200...
June 29, 2005 3:34:24 AM

tnx for the update, I hope someone (mabye even ea games) will come up
with a 100% solution
June 29, 2005 4:21:02 AM

the BF2ShaderMod-2 does not work for me(TI4200), it totaly freezes the
computer when trieing to load map.
June 29, 2005 5:28:35 AM

Found the problem, this time it was the firewall not the shader mod.
June 30, 2005 4:40:45 AM

it's still not 100% sometimes I get a half light blue screen, looking
to you rright or left solves that sometimes, probebly a bug or
something.
Hop ea will come out with a fix, because frankly i'm not that impressed
with the demo.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 2, 2005 6:06:45 AM

"Christian" <askformail@(TDCCUSTOMER)mail.dk> wrote:

> "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200
>> Aeolus video card ?
>> Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to
>> work.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> basically because EA is working with Nvidia..wonder how much
> Nvidia did pay EA to do this...
>
> http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield...
> rial.jsp?src=launch_party

They definitely are not working with Microsoft... considering the
video files are in Apple format.
!