BF2 with an TI4200 GF4 card (128MB)

Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
card ?
Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.

Mark
28 answers Last reply
More about ti4200 card 128mb

    Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
    to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
    the game is worth buying it.

    Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
    patch or someting.
    seems that BF2 is a big nono then.

    tnx i will trie it and let it know

    Mark

    it works but alot of the times I get half screen or more blue pieces in
    it(even when there is nothing happening like looking at a wall, makes
    it hard to see your opponent.
    could run it on 1280 X 960 without a problem (only those blue pieces)
    details set a high as the program would let me.

    I hope EA games will come out with a patch because it seems that the
    TI4200-128MB has no problem keeping up whatsoever.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    not worth buying if you have to buy at least a $200(150 Euro) card with
    it to play it properly.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Personally i think the Ti4200 is capable. i think EA and Nvidia just
    codes it so people are forced to upgrade,. they know this aproach works
    when its that time.

    Mark1 wrote:

    > Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
    > card ?
    > Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.
    >
    > Mark
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    When these things happen I begin to think that mabye the videocard
    makers had some influence on the game makers, forcing alot of people to
    buy new videocards means alot of cash for them.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Borked,
    It's not that i have'the 'wrong' grapic card, it's that EA only wants
    to support the newest ones, the TI4200 will do very well if the game
    would support it, that has already been proven
    http://zox.game-deception.com/­downloads/Direct3D/BF2ShaderMo­d.zip

    Now it's up to EA to come out with a good support for TI cards, if they
    spen so mutch money in making a game they should very well be able to
    make it work for good cards like the TI4200.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On 28 Jun 2005 00:13:17 -0700, "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
    >card ?
    >Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.

    As previously discussed, BF2 doesn't work with GF4's.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On 28 Jun 2005 00:25:37 -0700, "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
    >to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
    >the game is worth buying it.

    Read:
    http://www.populartechnology.net/
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
    > card ?
    > Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.
    >
    > Mark

    Here is a download link to a mod that is supposed to make it work. (Thanks
    to Filecutter.)
    I havn't tried it myself.
    http://zox.game-deception.com/downloads/Direct3D/BF2ShaderMod.zip

    Gubb
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On 28 Jun 2005 04:01:07 -0700, "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >tnx i will trie it and let it know

    Just bear in mind that Punkbuster will probably reject such hacks as
    cheats and you won't be able to play online.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Mark1 wrote:
    > not worth buying if you have to buy at least a $200(150 Euro) card with
    > it to play it properly.

    It works well with my 5900XT

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Mark1 wrote:
    > Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then,
    <snip>

    Hmmm, you have the wrong graphic card...and it's EA's error??
    The nerve of them!!
    --
    borked
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Mark1 wrote:
    > When these things happen I begin to think that mabye the videocard
    > makers had some influence on the game makers, forcing alot of people to
    > buy new videocards means alot of cash for them.

    On the other, they shrink their potential market.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen" <nospam@nospam.no> wrote in message
    > Mark1 wrote:
    >> not worth buying if you have to buy at least a $200(150 Euro) card with
    >> it to play it properly.
    >
    > It works well with my 5900XT
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco

    Hi Achtung, what settings do you use on your 5900XT?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200 Aeolus video
    > card ?
    > Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to work.
    >
    > Mark

    basically because EA is working with Nvidia..wonder how much Nvidia did pay
    EA to do this...

    http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/editorial.jsp?src=launch_party
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
    > to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
    > the game is worth buying it.
    >
    > Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
    > patch or someting.
    > seems that BF2 is a big nono then.

    The game is definitely worth buying
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Bryan wrote:
    > "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
    >>to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
    >>the game is worth buying it.
    >>
    >>Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
    >>patch or someting.
    >>seems that BF2 is a big nono then.
    >
    > The game is definitely worth buying

    Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
    viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
    modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be able
    to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience anyway.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen wrote:

    > Bryan wrote:
    >> "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hmm, seems the makers of BF2 made some huge error then, i'm not going
    >>>to spend a huge ammount of $$ before I even can play a demo to see if
    >>>the game is worth buying it.
    >>>
    >>>Was hoping someone found a solution to the problem or ea even made a
    >>>patch or someting.
    >>>seems that BF2 is a big nono then.
    >>
    >> The game is definitely worth buying
    >
    > Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
    > viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
    > modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be
    > able to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience
    > anyway.

    I happened to be upgrading, a few days after downloading the demo, from a
    system based around a Radeon 8500LE/XP1700 to a Radeon 9800 Pro/XP3000 and
    you know what? The game plays exactly the same. It's no more or less fun -
    if anything the shortcomings (i.e. dodgy browser) are even more infuriating
    on a "good" system. You pay attention to the extra eye candy for all of 30
    seconds, before you start actually playing and forget you're even running
    it on a different machine.

    higgy.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
    > viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
    > modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be able
    > to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience anyway.

    I think the main issue people have with this is that the Radeon 8500 is
    supported. The 8500 is at best an equal card to the Ti4200 and a lesser
    card to the Ti4400 and Ti4600.

    The reason that the Ti series is not supported is due to the shader
    support being 1.3 with the Ti's and the Radeon supports 1.4. AFAIK this
    only affects the performance levels of the cards and is not a graphical
    quality issue.

    Trouble is the Ti4200 still beats or equals the performance of an 8500
    and the Ti4400 and Ti4600 are faster cards.

    Essentially Dice are forcing out cards which actually lie within their
    'performance bracket' for no real reason. It's akin to supporting a
    game to be run on a 256MB card but not on a 128MB card. A 128MB 6800
    GPU is still going to be faster than a 256MB 6600.

    That's how I understand it - I stand to be corrected.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    higgy wrote:
    > Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen wrote:

    >>Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
    >>viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
    >>modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be
    >>able to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience
    >>anyway.
    >

    > I happened to be upgrading, a few days after downloading the demo, from a
    > system based around a Radeon 8500LE/XP1700 to a Radeon 9800 Pro/XP3000 and
    > you know what? The game plays exactly the same. It's no more or less fun -
    > if anything the shortcomings (i.e. dodgy browser) are even more infuriating
    > on a "good" system. You pay attention to the extra eye candy for all of 30
    > seconds, before you start actually playing and forget you're even running
    > it on a different machine.

    True. The main thing for me, is that the game runs fast and smooth. I
    don't know if that can be achieved with Radeon 8500/Ti4200.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Stoneskin wrote:
    > Rasmus Dyhr Frederiksen left a note on my windscreen which said:

    >>Yes, and considering the accomplishment on the graphics side (huge
    >>viewdistance, good scaling, great effects), I think it is fair that a
    >>modern graphics card is expected. The Ti4200 might in principle be able
    >>to run BF2, but it would probably not be an enjoyable experience anyway.
    >

    > I think the main issue people have with this is that the Radeon 8500 is
    > supported. The 8500 is at best an equal card to the Ti4200 and a lesser
    > card to the Ti4400 and Ti4600.
    >
    > The reason that the Ti series is not supported is due to the shader
    > support being 1.3 with the Ti's and the Radeon supports 1.4. AFAIK this
    > only affects the performance levels of the cards and is not a graphical
    > quality issue.
    >
    > Trouble is the Ti4200 still beats or equals the performance of an 8500
    > and the Ti4400 and Ti4600 are faster cards.
    >
    > Essentially Dice are forcing out cards which actually lie within their
    > 'performance bracket' for no real reason. It's akin to supporting a
    > game to be run on a 256MB card but not on a 128MB card. A 128MB 6800
    > GPU is still going to be faster than a 256MB 6600.
    >
    > That's how I understand it - I stand to be corrected.

    You are right, it doesn't seem to be an optimal approach. I was
    impressed with the flexibility of Half-Life 2 when it came out,
    regarding hardware. That should also translate into larger sales...

    Valve Software carries out hardware surveys. GForce2-4 card is still the
    majority of graphic cards, as far as I remember.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    > True. The main thing for me, is that the game runs fast and smooth. I
    > don't know if that can be achieved with Radeon 8500/Ti4200.

    but you can play with a FX 5200...that card is much slower than a Ti4200...
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    tnx for the update, I hope someone (mabye even ea games) will come up
    with a 100% solution
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    the BF2ShaderMod-2 does not work for me(TI4200), it totaly freezes the
    computer when trieing to load map.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Found the problem, this time it was the firewall not the shader mod.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    it's still not 100% sometimes I get a half light blue screen, looking
    to you rright or left solves that sometimes, probebly a bug or
    something.
    Hop ea will come out with a fix, because frankly i'm not that impressed
    with the demo.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    "Christian" <askformail@(TDCCUSTOMER)mail.dk> wrote:

    > "Mark1" <vonkenboer2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone got BF2(demo) working with an AOpen GF4 TI4200
    >> Aeolus video card ?
    >> Even with the new drivers from nvidea I can't seem to get it to
    >> work.
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>
    > basically because EA is working with Nvidia..wonder how much
    > Nvidia did pay EA to do this...
    >
    > http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/edito
    > rial.jsp?src=launch_party

    They definitely are not working with Microsoft... considering the
    video files are in Apple format.

Drivers Games Video Games