Windows 7 computer causes my router to reboot or crash

Hi, I currently have a Netgear rangemax wnr834bv2 running ddwrt and acting as a repeater for a linksys vonage router. This setup has worked for a while to give wifi coverage to my house. I currently have 1 xp home computer on via wired connection to the linksys router, 1 xp pro computer on wired connection to the netgear router, 1 xp media center laptop on a wireless connection to whichever router is closest. Until thursday of last week, i also had 1 win7 computer connected wirelessly to the netgear router. Last thursday, for some unknown reason, i woke up to find that everytime the windows 7 computer tried to connect, the router would reboot and give the computer limited connectivity. If I rebooted the win7 computer, then i could connect, but the connection would stay active just long enough to check email, then the router would do a soft reboot and would then give limited connectivity again. Other computers connected wirelessly or wired, would simply re-establish the connection and work fine.
I chose a restore point before thursday on the win7 computer and it works, only for about 12 hours or so, then i come home and have to restore again. I have turned off active updates and i check to see if anything has been changed, but i cannot find anything.

Has anyone heard of this happening or would know what to even check. So far, i bought another router to test with just 1 new 'win 7 compatible' router and it did the same thing. i'm just stuck.

Thanks for any help.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows computer router reboot crash
  1. Check the Event Viewer for the appropriate time period.

If the Restore function worked initially, then you either have something updating that causes this problem, or you have a virus like situation.

You might try connecting the Window 7 computer to the router via a hardwired connection to see if that has any affect.
  2. hardwiring the router would do the same thing. I ended up just reinstalling win7 (not aformat/clean install, but just a quick reinstall) and it worked. I was then able to update and i have set it to manually update so i would be around when things happen and would not wake up to a computer that is doing something strange.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Connection Computers Windows 7