dsteinbacher

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2001
Does anyone have advice on cd-writers for a person with a tight budget. I see lite-on is realatively cheap. I have a Lite-on cd-rom, not too impressive, but I was wondering if the writers were any better. Thanks

Be happy, Build your own computer

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Actually, I've read that they're not too bad. The fastest one from Lite-On (I think) is the LTR-24102B: 24x10x40 w/SMART-Burn. I was thinking of getting this sometime from <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=5&manufactory=1336&DEPA=1" target="_new">Newegg.com</A>, which is selling it OEM for $80.

LG is out with a 32x CD-writer though...and that's pretty darn fast. I thought 24x was fast, but they're always gonna get better.

Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A> last updated 12/6/01

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Lite-On has been in the business for a long time and are very well established in the OEM and system integrator market. I have never had a problem with any of their drives and would recommend them to anyone.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I hear they are very decent for the price. They aren't the fastest at anything, but are well rounded. DAE extraction quality/speed, subcode extraction, anti-coaster, sound/vibration damping, burn speeds...the worx.

With almost every other drive 'cept Yamaha/Plextor, you give up some kind of capability.

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I own both the DVD and the CD/RW (forget the model#, too lazy to look) and I haven't had any problems with them.

I don't want an Intel Inside! (all those sharp corners and pins)

Atlanta, GA

spacecc

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2001
I have installed 6 LITE-ON's 12X CDRW & never had any trouble until I updated to WINDOWS ME, Now I get a "Hardware ERROR Tracking Servo ERROR (4:0x09:0x01). I have exchanged the CDRW once & get the same error. Not sure if it is the drive 0r the software. This is being reported by the latest version of Clone CD.

Fred

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, Windows Me is awesome. It's like putting a Rolls Royce Merlin 2k hp motor in your father's VW Bug.

It was impressive in the past, but it's gone as far as it's going to go (i.e. Ms-Dos).