Asus N53SV WiFi Problem: Atheros AR9002WB-1NG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew9012

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Hello,
I have an Asus N53SV and the wireless will only stay connected for a few minutes when I am in certain locations. If I am in a room which is 2 floors up and on the opposite corner of my house from the router it will work fine. As soon as I take a few steps towards the router, or away it disconnects. If I return back the place where it once worked, it won't work anymore until I restart the computer. In public places it will stay connected for a few minutes then eventually will fail to see any networks and it just shows a red X on the icon in the system tray. I have tried the wireless on linux and a clean install of windows with no luck. Also, I have other wireless devices that work fine, iPods, desktop computers and other laptops.

Any ideas anybody? Is it just a bad wireless adapter? Have you experienced anything like this before?

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello Matthew9012,

Welcome to Forums!

I once had a similar issue with a laptop. I had then updated BIOS and to my surprise, there were no issues after that.
So you may give that a try - good luck!

Merry Christmas!!!

Matthew9012

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Sorry I have system restore disabled, but I did try it on a clean Install of windows 7 and it still had the same problem. Also I tried it On Linux and it still had a problem. I contacted Asus and they told me to bring it to their technician to look at. Unfortunately I live in Canada where there are very few Asus stores/ service locations. I most likely will just buy an intel wireless adapter off eBay and replace it myself. Unless for some reason it starts working miraculously or somebody finds a solution.

Edit: Just found this:

http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Warranty/NB_ANSP/index.html

If you scroll to the bottom and click most convenient location for Canada it has nothing in the drop down menu.
FAAAAAANTAASTIC

Matthew9012

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
If you/anybody still care(s). I fixed the problem without the help of Asus. I opened the laptop up and found that one antenna was disconnected. It works flawlessly now. I knew it couldn't be a software problem. Thanks for your help anyways.

YippieYo

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Matthew9012, Do you have any details (w/pictures?) about the procedure that you used to diagnose and fix this problem? My issue with the N53SV sounds exactly like the one you were experiencing. and it drives. me. crazy.

Thanks!

G

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=N53SV&s=252&hashedid=Gjsm3Kp4pjz9iJM1&os=&no=1773

Status
Not open for further replies.