Abit KT7A (possible DDR mobo) 135
256MB PC133 SDRAM 90
Thermaltake Volcano II heatsinkfan 16
arctic silver 2 thermal paste 10
DiamondMaxtor 45GB 7200rpm ATA100 150
Englight 300Watts Midtower 2 80mmfans 70
sound blaster and videocard from ebay 20

total 640

I am ready to go except for that I don't know where to get PALOMINO.. Anyone knows it?
Thank you very much.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
$20 dollars for video card and sound card, man you sure have deep pockets.

You would buy a new car and tell the dealer to put on 4 compact spare tires please, I dont plane on going over 40Mph.

dhlucke

Polypheme
i think sound blaster live is fine unless you want to get 5.1 surround for speakers or you are into editing...

video....don't kill yourself...the 20 bucks won't get you an 8 mb card....and that's ridiculous...go spend at least 70 on a radeon....

G

well I can see a few small flaws in your plan ......
as far as I know the Palamino is not out yet and when it does come out it won't be avail as slow as 900.
I think you missed a 0 of the price of you video and sound cards, and if you go DDR your memory will cost more than $90

Sorry but if you add a Radeon / Geforce II card in and change the palamino to Athlon then your system would be fine (even if without CD floppy etc)

UK Prices are <font color=red>toooooooooo</font color=red> high , keep competition going to bring em down :smile:

BMan33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
trust me, if 8mb agp is enough for you, you're better off just plunking down about $250 for an entire system from ebay, complete with a screaming 233MHz processor, a gigantic 3.5 GB hard drive, premium 16-bit sound, astonishing quad-speed cd-rom, superfast 33.6 modem, and oh yeah a killer integrated 8MB 3d accelerator. That ought to suit you just fine! :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
I completely agree. If 8MB VGA will suit your needs, go with a K6/2 550 on an Asus P5A w/ 128M RAM and save yourself $150 or so. If you are gonna build a system like that, at least go with a GeForce2 MX (I think about $120 for 32M but haven't checked lately). Personally I don't like ATI, but the Radeon is SUPPOSED to be good as well. Don't ruin your system with an 8M VGA. That would be like putting a 1/2 inch exhaust pipe on a Dodge Viper - A total waste...

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JustPlainJef on 02/26/01 11:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have a question, is the new 1.3GHz Athlon Palomino? The way I understood it is that AMD was going to wait for Palomino for their next Athlon CPU. Thanks

Jacob

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
plaomino current athlon's code name is mustang.
palomino is next type of athlon, which consumes a lot less power than mustang.
more details go to www.amd.com and search for palomino

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
I don't understand what you are saying. I have 4mb agp video on p2 300 and I have no problem using it. I didn't feel any problem playing all games I like(broodwar, redline, quake2,halflife...). I don't do video intensive things like 3D MAX. I just need 900+ cpu, ATA100 and 256 ram to run my applications fast such as forte for java. I uses amd750 512 ram pc for this at friends house, and I want faster pc.

G

Mustang was going to be AMD's high-end server chip with lots of cache. AMD nixed it. There is no Mustang any more, only the Palomino and Morgan which both use the Mustang core. Also, there won't be a Palomino with a clock speed as low as 900Mhz. It won't be long until you won't be able to buy a T-Bird at that speed. By the time the Palomino comes out the lowest clocked Athlons will probably be in the 1.1 - 1.2GHz range. You'll probably be able to buy a Morgan at 900MHz in Q2 though.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's funny ppl are still waiting for the dual mb's and are desperately searching for the type "c" t-bird,...where are they?

you're a genius!

"Amd cpu...Gone in -60 secs!"

G

Shut the f*ck up you idiot. Your typical useless comments have no relevance to anything I said or this thread.

Hey, lucky for you you're able to hide behind the Internet. You wouldn't last one minute with me jackoff!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, but the difference is that you CAN put together a dual P3. And dual P4s WILL be available in the future. And no one ever said that the Northwood would already be out. And it WILL be available soon.

Where as you CAN'T put together a dual AMD chip system. And Mustang was slated to come out and never did.

Intel delivers.

AMD makes statements that it may or may not actually live up to.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what a crock of sh*t. intel promised faster memory speeds than every with rambus on the p3 chipsets but did they deliver? they promised AND EVEN SHIPPED a 1.13ghz p3, did they actually deliver? p3 has been promising a 64bit chip for 2001 but will it happen? the answer to all these is no. intel doesnt deliver, theyre the ones making "statements that it may or may not acutally live up to." get your facts straight before you post such worthless bullsh*t.

My name is Mud.

G

The 1.13GHz PIII was vapour for a long, long, long, long, long, long time. (was that too many?) When it finally did appear, they withdrew it cos it didn't work. I don't think AMD ever withdrew its flagship product.

Oh yeah, and I forgot about 820MTH. I could rant for hours about that, but when a 5 year old BX motherboard can outperform one, it makes me shiver. Another example: How long have we been waiting for Itanium and Merced now? What about the Northwood P4 and it's incompatibility issues...

Intel have had their fair share of vapourware products over the years. But Intel have also made serious mistakes which AMD rarely ever does.

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~