Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't turn On with Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2012 8:35:49 PM

Hi everybody,

I have recently changed by set-up from AMD to Intel... replaced my AsRock 970 extreme4 with MSI b75Ma-P45; changed from FX 6100 to Intel Core i5 3570K. Everything was the same. I loaded up new OS and the computer was working. I had installed the motherboard's drivers and utilities and was able to install Adobe reader, flash player etc... Then I shut the computer down and connected my Sapphire HD 6870 to the MoBo; connected the 6Pin PCI-e connector to the Vcard to my CM GX750 PSU...then my computer will not start. I removed the Vcard and the computer was OK again. I already changed the primary graphics from the integrated graphics to the PCIe device. The graphics card was truly working and I think I have enough power to turn on my device. And as I said the system was fully functional with my AMD set-up...

I have already cleared CMOS and changed CMOS battery... Since the computer will not start I switched back to my AMD set-up and my computer was working again...

Any help will truly be appreciated...
October 20, 2012 8:56:30 PM

What do you mean won't start? - do you see BIOS messages?

Are you certain that the intel set-up is properly powered - some components need a minimum amperage & wattage - recheck this using >1 on-line psu calculators (don't rely on one alone).

If the psu is ok, recheck all connections, seatings, etc. Try removing all excess components - those non essential to computer boot up (e.g. sound card, data hard drives, etc). Does it boot up now? if yes, install one component at a time until you get to the 'problem' component.
m
l
October 20, 2012 9:15:24 PM

thanks for the quick reply... The computer will not even POST if the Vcard is inserted. I believe 750Watts is enought to power the system I only have 2 HDDs and 2 fans on the case and to isolate the problem, yes I dettached every unneccesary components but the computer was still not even POSTing...
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2012 11:18:17 PM

- Can you get hold of another Vcard - any that will fit - to try out....might be a dodgy card.

- If your CPU has gfx onboard (most modern intel cpu's do) try removing the gfx card and see if it will boot up.
m
l
October 20, 2012 11:55:49 PM

Yes I did that... as I said I already made the PCIe device as primary Graphics Option....
m
l
June 25, 2013 10:25:26 AM

Hi im using the same motherboard and I was curious to how you turned on PCIe and changed it from onboard because im having the same issue
m
l
!