Sign in with
Your question

How to get my Gateway GM5472 to work with Comcast

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2012 11:37:39 PM

I have a Gateway GM5472 which came with an Avermedia TV Tuner card. My daughter has been using the PC and just brought it back home. I used to be able to just plug the coax cable from Comcast into it and Windows Media Center would set it up. Now it isn't doing that. In the time since it's been out of the house Comcast did go all digital and we had to get converters for our old TV's. Do I need one for this? I tried setting it up with one of those in place and thought I'dhit success briefly as I could see the tv signal. I just couldn't save the setup.

Any advice would be SO appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike
a b x TV
October 21, 2012 12:36:24 AM

Need to know, specifically, what TV Tuner card is installed and what tuners it has available. If you're connecting the TV Tuner card to the coaxial run directly from the wall, the tuner card will need a Clear-QAM tuner and even so, it's only going to pick up those channels Comcast sends unencrypted. If the card is connected to the coaxial output of the Comcast set top box, the card will need an NTSC (I think) tuner. For free over-the-air broadcasts of local channels, the tuner card would need an ATSC (digital tuner).

The problem with Tuners and Set top boxes is that the set top box does all the tuning and your TV Tuner card essentially becomes like an old TV that needs to be on channel 3 or 4 the whole time.

Let us know what TV Tuner card came with your system and we can probably assist you better.

-Wolf sends
m
l
October 21, 2012 2:19:34 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Need to know, specifically, what TV Tuner card is installed and what tuners it has available. If you're connecting the TV Tuner card to the coaxial run directly from the wall, the tuner card will need a Clear-QAM tuner and even so, it's only going to pick up those channels Comcast sends unencrypted. If the card is connected to the coaxial output of the Comcast set top box, the card will need an NTSC (I think) tuner. For free over-the-air broadcasts of local channels, the tuner card would need an ATSC (digital tuner).

The problem with Tuners and Set top boxes is that the set top box does all the tuning and your TV Tuner card essentially becomes like an old TV that needs to be on channel 3 or 4 the whole time.

Let us know what TV Tuner card came with your system and we can probably assist you better.

-Wolf sends

Thanks for the quick response! The tuner card is an AVerMedia M791 PCIe Combo NTSC/ATSC card. I found a link on the web to Gateway's site about the card as well - http://support.gateway.com/s/vidcard/AVerMedia/6008105R....

If I wanted to get a new tuner card which is Clear-QAM would you have any recommendations?
m
l
Related resources
a b x TV
October 21, 2012 10:06:34 PM

If you have more than just the basic cable subscription (requires a set top box for decoding encrypted channels), then I would only recommend going with a cablecard solution like one of the following:

Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E - $200
Ceton InfiniTV4 USB = $200
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3CC = $170
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 = $125

These tuner cards, with the addition of a cablecard from Comcast, will replace your current Comcast Set Top Box (Tuner - not digital to analog converter). While charges may vary from locale to locale, a set top box rental in my area was about $15/month. I think a DVR rental was about $17/month. A CableCard rental in my area is only $2/month.

If your cable subscription does not require a set top tuner box (again more than just a digital to analog converter box), then any tuner card with a QAM tuner would work for you. Pretty much the gold standard for these types of tuner cards is the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 for $110 ($100 without remote). You could even drop down to the Hauppauge 1850/1250 PCI-E versions for a bit less.

I used to recommend the AVerMedia PCI-E White Box Combo, but the second version seems less reliable than the original (which I used to use).

All in all, it comes down to what your cable subscription is. If you have encrypted channels, then any of the CableCard solutions would be my recommendation. If none of the channels you subscribe to are encrypted (your TV has a QAM tuner and you can view all the channels you subscribe to without a set top tuner box), then any of the Hauppauge cards I suggested would work for you.

-Wolf sends

Edit: I'd note that I list my HTPC specs (with Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E) in my signature. I've been extremely happy with my HTPC!
m
l
!