Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What video cable to use?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2012 12:01:49 AM

Ok I bought an LG IPS235V monitor. The store tech said the box included cables. so I get home and it has what I think is a D-sub cable. Hmm, I plugged it into the D-sub port on the monitor (which also has DVI-D). On the pc side (AMD Radeon HD 7770) I couldn't see a place for DVI-D so I attached a D-sub to DVI converter. Is this the best solution for the system? I am not to up on my video ports since they have changed a lot lately.

More about : video cable

a c 503 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 1:38:00 AM

The Radeon HD 7770 usually comes standard with at least one Dual-link DVI-I and an HDMI and a DisplayPort ports.

Since the LG IPS235V has both DVI-D and HDMI input ports it is preferable to be using one of those. I would suggest getting an HDMI cable instead of DVI.

D-SUB is a dead-end standard. It has already been obsoleted from Intel's specifications.
October 21, 2012 2:52:04 AM

Thanks, I will order an hdmi to hdmi cable. I will look around for one online.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 2:57:53 AM

Buy cables from Amazon you can get them for really cheap. Right now I'm using a $5 HDMI to DVI cable, and I also have a DVI cable that I got for $.83 that I use for my second monitor.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 3:22:20 AM

I would go with a DVI cable. Its cheaper than HDMI and fits more securely due to the thumb screws.
a c 503 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 5:22:47 PM

DVI-I is considered a legacy interface and support for it is being eliminated by 2015. That means that there's going be no more analog video signal device support.

Motherboard, graphics card and display panel makers are starting the move to HDMI and DisplayPort only products.

There's a huge selection of good cables here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_i...
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:42:45 PM

Well we're talking about cables I got a quick question to throw in. Does DP output both analog and digital? In another thread someone stated that they were using just a mini DP to VGA convertor without a signal converter.

Best solution

a c 503 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 11:21:21 PM

mace200200 said:
Well we're talking about cables I got a quick question to throw in. Does DP output both analog and digital? In another thread someone stated that they were using just a mini DP to VGA convertor without a signal converter.

DisplayPort is a digital display interface based on packetized data transmission.

To get VGA signals requires an active adapter to convert the protocol and signals to the desired analog output. VGA adapters are powered by the DisplayPort connector.

Can you provide a link to that thread about not having to use a signal converter?
October 29, 2012 12:42:27 AM

Best answer selected by Maravill.
October 29, 2012 12:51:24 AM

Thanks to everyone who posted :-) I just plugged in the hdmi cable that I ordered from Newegg.com. I usually go with Amazon but Newegg has a better deal with free shipping. It was a great buy for 4 bucks. Now I have to learn how to take the HD from from my old PC and use it as a secondary drive.
!