Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best graphics card I can get for about $400-$500?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2012 12:36:21 AM

Hey folks,

Just looking to upgrade my graphics card in my gaming rig. I'm currently running dual ATI HD 5870's in Crossfire, which is actually a pretty powerful combo for running most games at high settings. But I want to do away with the dual card nonsense and just run one newer dedicated card.

CURRENT SYSTEM SPECS:
Processor: Intel i7 950 3.06 Ghz
Motherboard: asus p6x58d premium
RAM: 12 Gigs Kingston Hyper X
PSU: Corsair 1,200 watt
GPU: ATI HD 5870 1 GB (x2)

I play World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Empire Total War, Crysis, Elder Scrolls V Skyrim, Dead Space 2, Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, and pretty much any of the latest shooters and combat games out.

My budget is $400-$500. Would like to be able to play most of my games on High or Ultra Settings if possible. I can do that now for the most part, but I don't always get the frame rates I would like to get. WoW has suffered in particular since the latest release Mists of Pandaria.

One card, $400-$500, just looking for suggestions. I'm open to either AMD or Nvidia, I don't have a preference. I could bump the budget into the $500-$600 range if need be.

Thanks.

More about : graphics card 400 500

a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 1:20:09 AM

670 or 7970 if you want to save money 680 if you want the best of the best
Score
Related resources
October 21, 2012 1:21:55 AM

680 is a waste of money
Buy a 670 and overclock it up to a 680
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 1:22:58 AM

but then you can overclock the 680
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 1:47:49 AM

devilofdeaths said:
670 or 7970 if you want to save money 680 if you want the best of the best

Lol" best of the best" anyway the 7970Ghz is the fastest card. If you can get your hands on the Sapphire Vapor X 7970Ghz Edition you wont regret it. Other option are the 670 PE, or the 7950Ghz sapphire. The 680 is a good card but it needs a price drop further. I am running SLI 680's because I use Cuda and game in 3D so I purchased them when they first came out.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 1:51:52 AM

redeemer said:
Lol" best of the best" anyway the 7970Ghz is the fastest card. If you can get your hands on the Sapphire Vapor X 7970Ghz Edition you wont regret it. Other option are the 670 PE, or the 7950Ghz sapphire. The 680 is a good card but it needs a price drop further. I am running SLI 680's because I use Cuda and game in 3D so I purchased them when they first came out.

TBH after i posted that comment i thought"should put the 7970Ghz in there" but i was lazy and decided not to put thanks for proving a point
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 2:02:44 AM

devilofdeaths said:
TBH after i posted that comment i thought"should put the 7970Ghz in there" but i was lazy and decided not to put thanks for proving a point

Thats fine, I want trying to prove your statement incorrect. As you know it really comes down to what games you want to play, overall the 7970Ghz is a little faster with OC the lead increases. There are games that favor Nvidia and some AMD, if the GTX 680 could be priced a little under the 7970Ghz than I would consider it to be the best priced/performance card. For SLI and 3D Nvidia has the edge as well.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 2:02:49 AM

I would say get a GTX 670 and maybe SLI it later, nvidea's adaptive vsync, and physx are 2 awesome nvidea exclusive features, most people also say nvidea has better drivers, and a proven fact that we can see in benchmarks is that SLI is superior to CFX by a good bit.
Score

Best solution

a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 21, 2012 2:20:46 AM

I would go for AMD's HD 7970 and its more powerful brother HD 7970 GHz Edition have been on the market for a while now. MSI has also launched their HD 7970 Lightning in June. Now ASUS has released the HD 7970 Matrix - a card that will directly compete with MSI's HD 7970 Lightning.ASUS has increased clock speeds to 1100 MHz. That is 50 MHz more than the GHz Edition and higher than any other HD 7970 card, including the MSI Lightning. Memory clock is, with 1650 MHz, also higher than any other AMD card.

The card comes with a powerful triple slot cooling solution and adds many features for hardcore overclockers like support for VGA Hotwire, voltage control, and three buttons for direct GPU voltage control. You will also find voltage measuring points and a Turbo-fan button to set fan speed to 100% on the card.

Price-wise, the HD 7970 Matrix comes at $480, which is quite a price increase given AMD's recent price drops for the HD 7970.The other card i recommend is Nvidia? Simple, GTX 680 DirectCU II was born TOP, a video card generous in every respect. With high performance and the heat sink slot DirectCU II to the top of the range 3 ASUS is set to make inroads into the hearts of hardcore overclockers thanks to a generous factory overclock and quality components designed to increase the frequency.Although not part of the series "ROG" the GTX 680 DirectCU II Top trace the line between video cards ASUS Classic those belonging to the elite end, it encloses, in an evening gown, the muscles of a ROG without but resume particulars identifying video cards Matrix.This 680 is the shot caller slaps the other 680's around makes them bow down! I would be all over that Asus TOP for its high factory overclock, cool temps, and really, really quiet fans,heavily modified PCB, with an efficient VRM design to produce low temperatures, improved voltage regulation circuitry, much better Chil controller , specially binned chip and voltage control and monitoring support that you won't find on most other non-reference cards.The thing a straight beast!If you prefer to spend less i would go for one of my cards.

a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 2:24:44 AM

BeastLeeX said:
I would say get a GTX 670 and maybe SLI it later, nvidea's adaptive vsync, and physx are 2 awesome nvidea exclusive features, most people also say nvidea has better drivers, and a proven fact that we can see in benchmarks is that SLI is superior to CFX by a good bit.

Adaptive Vsync and Physx are underwhelming features in my view, 37 physx titles since 2007? Borderlands 2 really didnt look any better with it enabled and I still do not see a difference between Regular vsync and adaptive. SLI has better support though cfx and has better scaling still, but it is changing with AMD's Gaming Evolved taking off picking up games like Farcy 3, Hitman Absolution etc
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 2:40:02 AM

redeemer said:
Adaptive Vsync and Physx are underwhelming features in my view, 37 physx titles since 2007? Borderlands 2 really didnt look any better with it enabled and I still do not see a difference between Regular vsync and adaptive. SLI has better support though cfx and has better scaling still, but it is changing with AMD's Gaming Evolved taking off picking up games like Farcy 3, Hitman Absolution etc

Believe what you want, but both manufacturers have advantages in some games, the games are more then likely made to run on an AMD system, and let's see you play ARMA 3 with out physx, maybe even the Dayz standalone, and what about Kenshi? I just named 3 games that could easily be played for a year for some people, and they would definitely look much better with physx, and run superior with adaptive vsync, because who wants graphic tearing in their games?
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 21, 2012 2:41:11 AM

Another great card for the price should be highly recommendable imo is Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.
Pricing of the Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X is $330 which is a 10% premium. Also,MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks.That would be a solid choice for the price imo they currently are going for $409.99 a piece that doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks but it's up to you.

Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 3:19:59 AM

BeastLeeX said:
Believe what you want, but both manufacturers have advantages in some games, the games are more then likely made to run on an AMD system, and let's see you play ARMA 3 with out physx, maybe even the Dayz standalone, and what about Kenshi? I just named 3 games that could easily be played for a year for some people, and they would definitely look much better with physx, and run superior with adaptive vsync, because who wants graphic tearing in their games?

So since the arrival of adpative vsyc the tearing issues have been solved?? Umm NO! I have played so many games without Physx and ARMA3 will not change anything in the gaming world, if physx was a game changer it would be implement in more games. Even the most popular game BF3 doesn't need physx yet has decent FX. Bottom line AMD 7970Ghz is faster supports more monitors, has more bandwith oh and it overclocks more with better scaling. Really the only advantages that the 680 has that are not gimmicky are Cuda and 3D.

BTW BeastLeeX what cards are you running in your system?
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 3:24:17 AM

I am running a Radeon HD 6870
Score
October 22, 2012 1:39:03 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your great suggestions! You kind of voiced out loud what I was already fleshing out in my head, I appreciate you giving validity to it for me.

For my price range, it's pretty straight forward for me, looks like it's down to either AMD's 7970, or Nvidia's GTX 680. They both seem to be what I'm shooting for. Single GPU that can run any game out there. I also like that a lot of companies who manufacture these put multiple cooling fans on them. That is one thing I was frustrated about with the HD 5870s. Single tiny fan that you have to bump the profile up on and run at high speed at all times to keep it cool.

Thanks again guys! Off to make my wallet lighter.... :_
Score
October 22, 2012 1:41:28 PM

Best answer selected by OinkusBoinkus.
Score
!