Adding 4 hard drives to my a1720n

sizzlefire

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Hello,

I currently own an HP A1720N: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3340228 which I am currently running with a raid 0 with 3 drives in it. The problem is these drives are older and I would prefer to move over to an SSD while keeping all of the current drives in place and in their current raid 0 configuration. I have opened up the computer many times and I know that I still have enough room on the motherboard and PSU to add on the SSD, however I am out of bays in the front to store it in. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to somehow add enough room to hold my SSD without giving up one of my current drives or other compnents? I am considering removing the CD bay however I would prefer not to as I do use it.

Finally, I have noticed there are these clips on the bottom of the bays inside the computer: http://i.imgur.com/eBtML.jpg I was wondering if perhaps these would perhaps allow for some sort of additional bay to be snapped onto them, or if this is what they were for.

Thanks!!

Solution
Man, how were you able to add that many drives to it. I had a a1730n, which still actually works today.

You might be able to like hang it with wire ties or something. Anything to get it to work right?

And aren't there only 3 SATA ports? Unless the DVD drive is using IDE, you might be out of SATAs.
An SSD has no moving parts to it, so it doesn't vibrate nor will it be damaged by falling. You could just get some strong double sided tape and stick it to the case. Even if it fell it would be fine.

Dont know what that is, suspect its just something to make manufacturing the case easier. I guess you could run string through them to hold the SSD in like a hammock if you wanted too.

Man, how were you able to add that many drives to it. I had a a1730n, which still actually works today.

You might be able to like hang it with wire ties or something. Anything to get it to work right?

And aren't there only 3 SATA ports? Unless the DVD drive is using IDE, you might be out of SATAs.

Solution

sizzlefire

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Right now I am planning to go with some sort of contraption of hanging it off the bottom of the rack, not quite sure what I'll use yet, probably find some string somewhere or something, also I do still have 1 SATA port open, the CD drive is IDE luckily, so that won't be a problem luckily. Glad they put those little slots there though, it leaves me with a great position for the drive as it is in easy reach of my final sata power port and my motherboard. Unless there are any other suggestions, I'll go for it and report back on how it goes, looks like its still a day away from getting here right now :/

sizzlefire

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Thats not exactly where the issue is, the problem was at the time of setting this computer up, all I had laying around were 3 old 40GB drives, so the 1 ssd will be doubling the amount of space in the computer. I mainly just use it for programming, so its only got about 60GB of 120GB used right now.

TRENDING THREADS