Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best 120hz gaming monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 3:37:21 AM

i want it to have a relatively thin bezel cause eventually i want to to have 3 monitors in surround gaming, but i cant decide between the samsung s23a700dsl and the benq xl2420t, id like it to be under 400 bucks, if their are any other good led 120hz monitors under 400 bucks then let me know

More about : 120hz gaming monitor

a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
October 21, 2012 4:39:40 AM

If you have any inclination to try out 3D, then you will likely want the Samsung if you have an AMD setup (and plan to stick with that brand), or the Benq if you have Nvidia.

The BenQ has good reviews and is a popular one for 120hz gaming.
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 4:46:20 AM

brother, what difference does it make what video card manufacturer it is ? and please make it convincing.
Score
Related resources
October 21, 2012 5:12:02 AM

Well, lesse, 3d, and remember I'm not an expert so I may be off on some ideas. Generally speaking, Nvidia has been doing 3d gaming for a while now, 10 or 12 years something like that, you need 120Hz monitor, and an Nvidia 3d kit or whatever the name is. ATI/AMD is new to 3d and keeps adding new and interesting features to their cards that NVidia had for years. Nvidia is generally considered to be better at 3d, and in the last article I read, it seemed that Nvidia had a better grasp on 3d gaming. Nvidia if I remember right, was closed source, only Nvidia works on their stuff, that being said, they do a good job. AMD is open source, cheaper, but not as impressive visually. With either chip, you need a beefy graphics card to get the best out of it, it taxes the system pretty hard. I know they did an article here a few years back now about it, I'd say there really isn't a convincing argument for either, you're probably a fan of one or the other, and at this stage in the game, both are probably gonna do you right. I plan on an AMD 3d system myself (Fan I am), but I'll be getting a 50in 3d TV for my monitor. THAT being said, I still think 3d is a fad at this point. I can see it in theaters, but for home, well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
October 21, 2012 5:15:30 AM

swifty_morgan said:
brother, what difference does it make what video card manufacturer it is ? and please make it convincing.

The reason it matters is Samsung supports HD3D, but not 3D Vision. The BenQ supports 3D Vision 2, but not HD3D. So, you choose the card that best fits the video card. It might be possible to get some hacked drivers to make it work, but I am not aware of them.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:18:47 AM

Ok put 3d aside, what is the best 120hz led monitor under 400 bucks?!
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
October 21, 2012 5:19:05 AM

jossrik said:
Well, lesse, 3d, and remember I'm not an expert so I may be off on some ideas. Generally speaking, Nvidia has been doing 3d gaming for a while now, 10 or 12 years something like that, you need 120Hz monitor, and an Nvidia 3d kit or whatever the name is. ATI/AMD is new to 3d and keeps adding new and interesting features to their cards that NVidia had for years. Nvidia is generally considered to be better at 3d, and in the last article I read, it seemed that Nvidia had a better grasp on 3d gaming. Nvidia if I remember right, was closed source, only Nvidia works on their stuff, that being said, they do a good job. AMD is open source, cheaper, but not as impressive visually. With either chip, you need a beefy graphics card to get the best out of it, it taxes the system pretty hard. I know they did an article here a few years back now about it, I'd say there really isn't a convincing argument for either, you're probably a fan of one or the other, and at this stage in the game, both are probably gonna do you right. I plan on an AMD 3d system myself (Fan I am), but I'll be getting a 50in 3d TV for my monitor. THAT being said, I still think 3d is a fad at this point. I can see it in theaters, but for home, well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

A couple notes about your 3D TV purchase in the near future. See if you can possibly find one that supports HDMI 1.4b (the b is key), if one exists, so that you can use it at 1080p with your PC, otherwise, you'll have to use 720p to get 60 FPS (per eye). Also, 3D gaming is far better than movies when the game supports it well. Rather than looking like cardboard cutouts, like most movies, 3D gaming actually renders the scene in true 3D.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
October 21, 2012 5:20:14 AM

computernoob29 said:
Ok put 3d aside, what is the best 120hz led monitor under 400 bucks?!

If you like glossy, go Samsung, if you want matte, go BenQ.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:31:41 AM

Is their a difference in picture quality between matte and glossy
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 5:41:44 AM

if you get something with a glossy bezel every bit of light that hit's it will raise havoc with your eyes while watching it. had a flat, next one had a shiny.... makes a difference..... glare like.

to the guy above......... I don't really pick sides anymore. get what i think is best for the money/desired performance
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 21, 2012 6:02:12 AM

This is the best 3D monitor with 144hz (NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit sold separately) that recently came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Series-VG278HE-27-Inch-LED-lit-Mo...

With 144hz, you're getting 72hz in 3D. You will want to use 120hz for 2D gaming of course.

Also, 120hz will be pointless if your PC can't put out 120fps constantly.

If you don't like the above I mention, go with the Benq for 3D Vision, it will be better.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
October 21, 2012 6:43:56 AM

edogawa said:
This is the best 3D monitor with 144hz (NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit sold separately) that recently came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Series-VG278HE-27-Inch-LED-lit-Mo...

With 144hz, you're getting 72hz in 3D. You will want to use 120hz for 2D gaming of course.

Also, 120hz will be pointless if your PC can't put out 120fps constantly.

If you don't like the above I mention, go with the Benq for 3D Vision, it will be better.

He mentioned he wasn't interested in 3D, though I think that might be short sighted if you are already getting a 120hz monitor. That said, you don't need 120 fps to notice an improvement. I noticed an improvement even at 80 FPS.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 7:51:31 AM

Well i cannot add too much to this because i was always told by my friends 120Hz was a waste of money and that it was a gimmick because the the human eye cannot process any information above blah,blah,blah so people that claim there noticing a big differences are in need of possible professional help because the mind is playing tricks on them they may think they can but neuroscience says otherwise.I believed this for quite some time.However i ended up with a BenQ and i can notice a difference *shrug*.It's my friends are full of it or i am nuts lol either way i honestly believe i notice when gaming it's overall much smoother details are more crisp, smoothly rendered, and lifelike.I will not ever game on anything else anytime soon i have this monitor currently and i highly recommend it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... anyway good luck mate.

Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 8:38:22 AM

you're not nuts, your friends are.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 C Monitor
October 21, 2012 3:35:26 PM

A lot of the difference is due to latency, and not the actual FPS. 120hz monitors reduce latency, and higher FPS reduce latency. At least, that is what I've come to realize makes the biggest difference.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 4:11:19 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you're not nuts, your friends are.
:lol:  thanks for the support i think their just bias.
Score
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 4:22:37 PM

bystander said:
A lot of the difference is due to latency, and not the actual FPS. 120hz monitors reduce latency, and higher FPS reduce latency. At least, that is what I've come to realize makes the biggest difference.
It's kind of hard for me to explain but i even believe i notice it's more responsive i will admit at first i was a bit worried my mind is playing tricks on me but i decided even if it is so what there good tricks i am enjoying :lol: 
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
October 21, 2012 5:08:02 PM

I have the Samsung one you're talking about and love it. I don't use the 3d ever though, I just wanted a 120hz for gaming...It looks great. Its good for movies and general web browsing too. It comes down to preference though. I personally like glossy.

Good luck!
Score
March 12, 2013 10:28:42 PM

I don't know if this could help you find what you are looking for but here are just some of the <a href="http://www.squidoo.com/best-120hz-monitor">top 120hz monitor</a> choices you can choose from:

1. Asus VG278H 27-Inch 3D Full-HD LED Monitor with Integrated Stereo Speakers

2. ViewSonic V3D245 24-Inches LED 3D-Ready Monitor - Black

3. Acer HN274H BMIIID 3D 27-Inch LED Monitor - Black

I hope this helps. Cheers! = )
Score
!