Cyberpower's little details, I need some answers.

TheDirectorChris21

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Alright, let's get started *cracks knuckles*

I haven't upgraded my pc in seven years, I'm still running Radeon's X1900 xtx, no jokes please, and I'm looking to finally take the plunge. I've saved up enough money to get pretty much whatever I want and before anyone asks or tells me, I know it would be cheaper to build one myself but I know that there is more to pc components than simply putting them in their place, airflow and all of that jazz so, I'm going to Cyberpower.

Search results have made me believe that they are one of the best companies to get this kind of thing from and they have customizable options out the a** and that's awesome. Anyway, I need everyone's opinion on the setup below and I also need a few questions answered about certain things and I really appreciate anyone who replies (hopefully a lot of you).

Anyway, a little about myself, I'm looking to get the best, holy s***, computer that I won't have to upgrade in the next year or two (or ten hopefully) and I'm also a Youtuber and I record, edit, and render HD videos so keep that in mind for your responses.

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ dual 200mm fans, integrated fan controller, front USB 3.0 Port & Side-Panel Window (laser engraved with "Big Balls", haha...no, I'm just kidding...really.)

Extra Case fan upgrade: 500-1,200 RPM extreme silence (The last one of the list, apparently cooler is better)
All the noise reduction technology, neither the girlfriend, nor I, would enjoy listening to an F22 Raptor in the living room

CPU: i7-3970 Extreme Edition 6 core 3.5 GHz (I don't plan on overclocking anything)

Cooling system: CoolIT ECO II-240 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooling System 240MM Radiator & Dual Fans

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ TUF Armor, SSD Caching, 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

RAM: 16 GB, was going to go with just regular but they've got five options available (Ripjaws, Vengeance, etc, which one of these would you all recommend? Also, I know 16 Gb is overkill but like I said, I don't to worry about upgrading for a LONG time.

GPU: Nvidia GTX 680, Just one, I don't plan on using anymore than one monitor and I'm not even sure if I'll play games at 1080p but I REALLY DON'T want to upgrade for awhile so I'm assuming this card will last me.

PSU: Thermaltake Smart Series SP-850M 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply. I've heard Thermaltake is a good brand but what do you all think?

HD: 240 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write

Data HD: 2TB (2TBx1) Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Monitor: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X246W-1080P LCD (Viewable 23.6")(Black Color) w/ Built-in Speaker, DVI & Input

OS: Should I get Windows 8 or Windows 7, I know 8 is new but 7 has been out and apparently is pretty good, what is your opinion.

That's it everybody, sorry if it was long winded and I appreciate all who read it and reply back.

Honestly, its pretty much that. You really just screw stuff in. The only thing you have to worry about is static electricity, and hardly any people ever have this problem. Probably close to 1/1000. As long as you are careful, its never a problem. I've never had a problem for it, and I never use any of this anti-static stuff unless I am building for someone who is buying.

I would say go for the i7-3770 and then go for the ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP. Its alot cheaper, but I pinky swear you will not see any performance difference in that opposed to that processor you picked there.

Also, Radeon cards are more suited to rendering work at this point in the market. I don't remember why, but I do remember there including charts and whatnot.

16GB is fine. You won't use all of it or nearly close to all of it, but its nice to have. I have no arguments against it at this pricepoint and orient.

Thermaltake is not fantastic.

TheDirectorChris21

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Well, the 7 year old antique that I mentioned was put together by me and my dad. The fan count, I believe, is four including the one on the motherboard's heat sink (I think that's what it is) and the GPU's fan and I have that set to go to 60-70% when it hits 90 celsius and that thing comes kicks into gear all the time, granted, it's not a huge gaming case, just an HP Media Center desktop but still, I'd feel more comfortable with letting a professional do it and Cyberpower even has an option to do that, for a little extra of course but it's not too much. I honestly think they lie about the static stuff just to cover their butt because, in the past, when I've been tinkering, I've practically begged the computer to short out from static and that's never happened to me either.

As for the processor, I'll check that one out, basically, I want a six core one and I really don't see the need in buying the "Extreme Edition" other than the fact that it's a cool name so thanks for that tip. I also don't want to sound like a complete retard but you lost me at the H77 thingy, is that a processor or a cooling system because I've seen some cooling systems called H70...or something so if you don't mind, please clarify that.

Regarding the GPU, I'll probably stick with the Nvidia because I looked at some tests and they seem to do better at gaming and I've heard that the main thing you need to look at when it comes to rendering is RAM and CPU. HD video aren't graphics being rendered, it's just a video of a game. Programs like Photoshop and Cinema4D need good GPUs I think but I can't a GPU that's fit to run games into the ground not performing well with programs like that. I'm not the expert though so I'll definitely look into that.

Lastly, what brand of PSU would you recommend? I saw they had Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Standard, and maybe a couple others.

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Cyberpower is often worse than building it yourself, because if you get a bad one you are stuck with no knowledge of computers, and you have to send it back or suffer through their terrible representatives try to tell you how to fix your machine and give you the endless runaround. Plus they often are even worse at assembling computers than a complete newbie, sometimes wires are not fully attached, side panels are not fully flush with the case so they get dislodged during shipping and dirt and water gets in.

Also Cyberpower's customization actually isn't as great as you think, you can't choose specific models of graphics cards, for instance, if you wanted a GTX680, they could give you a crappy reference, or a very high end Twin Frozr/Classified. Also a lot of coolers and cases are not even included in the customization.

Not to mention cyberpower is extremely overpriced, often you pay 200-300 more than what you'd get building it yourself and that differential only increases as the cost of the rig increases.

However, if you insist:

1. That is a very low end liquid cooler, it will easily be beaten by a high end air cooler such as a Gelid GX2, Noctua NH-D14, or a Thermaltake Frio. If those aren't included pick one up yourself and replace the stock fan.
2. I'd reccomend 2 7950 in CF instead of a single GTX680, you have much higher bandwidth and you have higher speed due to the CF scaling. Also both 7950 can be overclocked(GPU overclocking is easy, it's literally just incremental slider clicking) better than a 680.
3. A 3930k will perform the exact same as a 3970x in most situations, you can clock it higher(again, overclocking unlocked processors is just incrementally typing different numbers into your multiplier in the BIOS), and is half the price.
4. Thermaltake I'd say is a tier 3 or 2 PSU manufacturer, OCZ is the best(more well known as PC&P or Seasonic, their PSU brand names), Corsair is good with it's AX/HX series, EVGA is great if you can afford it, and Antec is pretty decent too but it's a tier 2 brand.
5. As a warning the Sabertooth X79 has 2 board fans, these are a pain to clean out and can make extremely disgusting noises and even system damage if not cleaned out regularly. Use the money saved from your CPU to get an ASRock X79 Champion or if you're willing to deal with a single fan, the Rampage IV extreme.

Good luck!