Sign in with
Your question

Router maxxed out on allowed MAC addrs. Suggest a better one?

Last response: in Networking
November 30, 2011 7:17:27 AM

I use a DLink DIR-655 router but it only allows around 24 MAC addresses to be specified in the filter list of ALLOWED MAC ADDRs. With a few laptops in the family, a game box, NAS, printer, e-readers, smart phones, I'm maxed out. Can someone suggest a better router? Alternatively, could I daisy chain them to have one handle wireless devices only and another handle wired devices? If so, I could probably dealt with 24 max wireless MAC addresses specified for a while. If there's a better router out there that's not so limited, I'll upgrade.

Yes, I see a daisy-chainish solution here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33700-42-ultimate-mod...

I'd prefer a simple single-router solution without the d-link limit.
November 30, 2011 12:58:35 PM

Could I ask you something? What's the purpose of MAC filtering anyway? It’s really a useless feature if you're already using wireless encryption. Even if you weren’t, MAC addresses are easily spoofed, so it has no practical purposes in terms of security (if that's the intent). The only purpose I can imagine (and only marginally interesting to most ppl) is preventing *accidental* access to your network. So, for example, if you had wireless security disabled or were offering a public/open SSID, and wanted to limit access to known devices, then perhaps it would be useful (but again, that could easily be circumvented through ARP poisoning). Beyond that, and certainly as a security measure, I just don't get it. Esp. if you're already using wireless encryption. It’s reminds me of ppl who disable their SSID broadcasts; absolutely pointless and only provides a false sense of security.

I just want to be sure this even makes sense before you go out and spend yet more money on what is generally agreed to be a useless feature.

m
l
December 1, 2011 4:02:54 AM

He could be using it to block internet traffic. My dad did this when I was little, by blocking port 80 on all of my computer's mac addresses, but he did it in reverse by making a deny list instead of a Allowed list. So it was easy to get pass. ;)  I guess that just proved eibgrad's point :) 

I don't know of a good router that will do that, but depending on what you are doing, you could look in to making your own router with linux and a old computer with multiple nics.
I like Untangle or pfsense. Untangle is probably the most user friendly, and does have alot of cool stuff like blocking spyware, web filtering, virus scanning.
Both are designed for business class environments so they will support alot more network devices, then your standard home router.

YOu could also look in to third party router OSs like DD-WRT but I checked and your router you have currently isn't supported on DD-WRT :( 
m
l
!