Sign in with
Your question

Great FPS but Choppy on Directx11

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2012 4:43:30 AM

When I play Nexuiz on DX9 fps is like avg 36 and the fps looks pretty smooth. When I turn on DX11(I have a8 crossfire with 6670 so dx11 games play better fps than dx9 games) the fps is now like avg around 42 and the game looks waaay choppy like it's running at 20fps or something but the is really running at 40s. Why is it like this? Is it something with my directx drivers or gpu drivers? This happens in a lot of games. Like blacklight retribution, dx11 is really choppy even though game is running above 30fps and when I turn it off it runs a lot better. Usually on dx11 games run really choppy unless I turn down visuals and make the fps 60+ then it doesn't look choppy so everything under 60 makes it look really choppy.
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:03:01 AM

just saw a vid of the game. might have to look into it.............

there was a lot of stuff going on. lots of smoke, debris and textures. you're only going to push the A-8 so far before it won't give you what you want.

if you insist on playing in DX11 you'll need to make concessions and turn back settings in the games control panel and maybe in the catalyst suite.

alone or together the video cards aren't exactly primo. if you want more upgrade the graphics card to something much better than what you have.

also, the APU's work best with fast memory. I wouldn't put less than 4gigs and probably 8gigs of 1866 memory.
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:10:26 AM

swifty_morgan said:
just saw a vid of the game. might have to look into it.............

there was a lot of stuff going on. lots of smoke, debris and textures. you're only going to push the A-8 so far before it won't give you what you want.

if you insist on playing in DX11 you'll need to make concessions and turn back settings in the games control panel and maybe in the catalyst suite.

alone or together the video cards aren't exactly primo. if you want more upgrade the graphics card to something much better than what you have.

also, the APU's work best with fast memory. I wouldn't put less than 4gigs and probably 8gigs of 1866 memory.

I don't think it's because my system is weak, maybe something wrong with my direct x drivers, this happens in a lot of games with dx11 and it shows the fps is really good but it looks choppy.

Also playing a dx9 game with the a8+6670 would only use the 6670 since it's not a dx10 or dx11 game but when I turn dx11 the a8+6670 combine and make a 6770 so it is better to play on dx11 and when i play on dx11 the framerates do boost up about 10-15 but then it starts looking like it's lagging even though the framerates say it's really good. This happened with blacklight retribution I was getting around 45fps on dx11 and it looked choppy but then I just turned off dx11 and I was getting like around 40fps and it really smooth now.
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 7:24:35 AM

dx10 and dx11 bring so much more to a game that cripple low end cards.
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:34:21 AM

swifty_morgan said:
dx10 and dx11 bring so much more to a game that cripple low end cards.

But it might not be because of my card because fraps is giving good framerates but it still looks choppy and when i play the same game with same settings on dx9 I get about the same framerates but a little lower and it looks much smoother.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 7:39:56 AM

that's because it's rendering less.
m
l
October 21, 2012 8:16:24 AM

swifty_morgan said:
that's because it's rendering less.

Rendering less what? Shouldn't the gameplay be smooth when the fps is good?

I switched to presets to medium and it runs around 50fps and it still looks choppy. 50 fps is pretty darn good but why is it still looking choppy on dx11?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 8:35:12 AM

your video card doesn't have enough vram and it's slow........ even in xfire.

the shadows are different, there's tessellation to deal with and a slew of other stuff that's rendered in DX11 that will kill low end video cards.

you have to go into the games control panel and turn back settings until you find what's causing the problems.

list the rest of your hardware.
m
l
October 21, 2012 8:52:03 AM

swifty_morgan said:
your video card doesn't have enough vram and it's slow........ even in xfire.

the shadows are different, there's tessellation to deal with and a slew of other stuff that's rendered in DX11 that will kill low end video cards.

you have to go into the games control panel and turn back settings until you find what's causing the problems.

list the rest of your hardware.

Processor: AMD A8-3870K APU
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006J420UE/ref=ox_sc_s...

DVD Drive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YIG9AQ/ref=ox_sc_s...

Power Supply: 400w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: 8GB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JO3L40/ref=ox_sc_s...

Motherboard: ASRock MB-A75MHVS [$64.99]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KSBDDK/ref=ox_sc_a...

HDD: 750GB
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PED78S/ref=oh_deta...

Case: NZXT M59 Classic Series ATX[$49.99]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OEBILK/ref=ox_sc_a...

Graphics Card: http://www.amazon.com/EAH6670-DIS-1GD5-Radeon-128-bit/d...

So is there anyway to fix this problem?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:38:23 PM

6950 2gig on up video card.
m
l
October 21, 2012 5:42:01 PM

Its because of crossfire. Try disabling crossfire and running the game on DX11 with only your dedicated 6670. Should run a little worse but you won't get microstuttering. It works fine in DX9 because there's no crossfire.
m
l
October 21, 2012 6:34:10 PM

rambisco said:
Its because of crossfire. Try disabling crossfire and running the game on DX11 with only your dedicated 6670. Should run a little worse but you won't get microstuttering. It works fine in DX9 because there's no crossfire.

I can't stand playing the game where crossfiring doesn't work though because a 6770 is 2x better than a 6670. And I don't think it's microstuttering, the fps stays at a good 40-45 all the time sometimes drops to 35s in graphic intensive areas. I wish I could show you guys but recording it wouldn't really show it would it?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:47:55 PM

6770 and 6670 are basically the same card. you're not paying attention. lower you expectations and lower the settings in the games control panel until you find where it won't "mico stutter". your video card can't handle the demands being put on it.. I don't understand why you just won't grasp that.
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:20:21 PM

When you have 2 cards that are processing franes, especially when one is faster than the other, there will be a difference in the length of time inbetween frames. Even when software still sees 45fps, its not .75 per second. It fluctuates. It is still technically 45fps, but it doesn't look smooth because of this, which is called microstuttering.
m
l
October 21, 2012 8:30:42 PM

rambisco said:
When you have 2 cards that are processing franes, especially when one is faster than the other, there will be a difference in the length of time inbetween frames. Even when software still sees 45fps, its not .75 per second. It fluctuates. It is still technically 45fps, but it doesn't look smooth because of this, which is called microstuttering.

But why does this only happen in DX11 games? When I turn it to dx9 the framerate lowers but then the game looks smoother. And 6770 isn't the same as 6670
http://www.hwcompare.com/10711/radeon-hd-6670-oem-vs-ra...
6770 looks better.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 8:41:12 PM

romeodakins said:
I can't stand playing the game where crossfiring doesn't work though because a 6770 is 2x better than a 6670. And I don't think it's microstuttering, the fps stays at a good 40-45 all the time sometimes drops to 35s in graphic intensive areas. I wish I could show you guys but recording it wouldn't really show it would it?

What you describe is microstuttering. Microstuttering is a result of frames being rendered at different speeds, causing every other frame to take longer then the others. The result is the games look choppy, but without a loss of FPS. Since you aren't experiencing a loss of fps, but having choppy play, you are having the classic symptoms of microstuttering. This is likely due to the APU and your discrete card not performing exactly the same.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 8:46:07 PM

romeodakins said:
But why does this only happen in DX11 games? When I turn it to dx9 the framerate lowers but then the game looks smoother. And 6770 isn't the same as 6670
http://www.hwcompare.com/10711/radeon-hd-6670-oem-vs-ra...
6770 looks better.

This is because, as you said many times, it does not crossfire in DX9 or 10, but only in DX11. Because crossfire causes every other frame to be rendered by a different card or APU and card in your case, it is only in DX11 that you experience the microstuttering.
m
l
October 21, 2012 10:50:09 PM

bystander said:
This is because, as you said many times, it does not crossfire in DX9 or 10, but only in DX11. Because crossfire causes every other frame to be rendered by a different card or APU and card in your case, it is only in DX11 that you experience the microstuttering.

The crossfire works for dx10 and dx11 games and when I play syndicate(a dx10 game) it is pretty smooth and it's 45fps. So I'm experiencing microstuttering I guess, how do I fix this? This occurs in a lot of games, most games it's not that bad but it's really bad in nexuiz.
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:20:22 PM

romeodakins said:
The crossfire works for dx10 and dx11 games and when I play syndicate(a dx10 game) it is pretty smooth and it's 45fps. So I'm experiencing microstuttering I guess, how do I fix this? This occurs in a lot of games, most games it's not that bad but it's really bad in nexuiz.

Only way is to disable crossfire. You could buy another 6670, but you would probably experience the exact same issue. You're just going to have to deal without crossfire until hybrid crossfire is drastically improved on.
m
l
October 21, 2012 11:39:55 PM

rambisco said:
Only way is to disable crossfire. You could buy another 6670, but you would probably experience the exact same issue. You're just going to have to deal without crossfire until hybrid crossfire is drastically improved on.

A8-3870k was designed to hybrid crossfire with the 6670 though, why would amd make it cause microstuttering?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 11:44:08 PM

romeodakins said:
A8-3870k was designed to hybrid crossfire with the 6670 though, why would amd make it cause microstuttering?

I think you looking at this completely wrong.

It was designed to hybrid crossfire with the 6670, but they haven't been able to prevent it from microstuttering.

They didn't design it to microstutter, but because they use different memory and a bit different architecture, microstuttering is occurring.
m
l
October 22, 2012 12:29:25 AM

I just found out about limiting fps to fix microstuttering. I downloaded msi burner and used the rivatuner to limit my fps to 30 and now my game runs at 25-30fps but it still looks much smoother than before :) 
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 22, 2012 12:36:27 AM

romeodakins said:
I just found out about limiting fps to fix microstuttering. I downloaded msi burner and used the rivatuner to limit my fps to 30 and now my game runs at 25-30fps but it still looks much smoother than before :) 

With such a low FPS limitation, wouldn't you get better performance by just turning off crossfire? That's some low fps, I personally would be sick in just a few minutes trying to play like that.
m
l
October 22, 2012 12:45:21 AM

bystander said:
With such a low FPS limitation, wouldn't you get better performance by just turning off crossfire? That's some low fps, I personally would be sick in just a few minutes trying to play like that.

When I switch to DX9 and it turns off crossfire my fps is still around 30 so same thing except dx11 has better visuals.
m
l
!