Need Help! Build an HTPC for my Dad

alitomari

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I'd like to build my dad a htpc for xmas. He has a 65" Panasonic plasma tv. I've done a lot of research but I have some hanging questions. Basically, I'd like to build an htpc that plays 1080p content flawlessly, no matter what the codec. I've read reports that llano chips has the 29/59 bug, but that intel i3's have problems with certain codecs,so I'm very confused as to which one to pick. Or maybe the answer is to get an intel chip with an external gpu. Also I'd like to keep costs as minimal as possible (while still providing flawless playback). Basically what would you recommend for the cpu (maybe additional gpu?), mobo and case? I have all the other parts and I just need to figure those out. Thanks!

Does this bug apply to Trinity?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($31.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $292.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-10 06:18 EST-0500)

alitomari

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Well, I'd like it to be $500 or less, I have windows 7, and an optical drive already. I'd need ram, mobo, case, cpu, hd, wifi adapter, and some kind of wireless controlling device. But ya my biggest question is the cpu/gpu. Like I don't want it to be overkill, but I want to be able to play 1080p 3d, 1080p flawlessly, etc. Like I said I read about amd and intel having various playback issues, so I'm not sure which to go with if I want flawless playback.

alitomari

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not sure, I was hoping someone would know more about the playback issues, thanks for your build suggestion, will your build be able to play 1080p in 3d? And is there a more home -theater -looking case you could recommend? Looks a lot like a regular pc tower, and is it worth getting 1800mhz memory? I've read that memory speeds are important for amd builds?

I tried googling and couldn't find any mention of playback issues with the new AMD Trinity.

The A6 should be able to play back any media. If you're worried and have $500 spend you could get an A10 quite easily.

Recommending cases is moot because I cannot know what you like.

Memory speed is a meaningful consideration for gaming builds on Trinity. For video playback not so much.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Trinity is simply the best option right now for an htpc. The built in gpu can handle any type of 1080 video you throw at it. Since everything is built onto the cpu you have no discrete card to worry about, much less power consumption, less heat to deal with, and most importantly much cheaper.

Since you have 500 to spend if you want you could get the highest a10 trinity and faster memory and have some decent gaming capabilities if you ever felt like a little pc gaming on the tv.

alitomari

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Ok, I'll go with the trinity then, what about the power supply? I was reading reviews and a lot of them are failing, I was looking at other ones, how many watts do you think I'd need with that setup? It'd be the apu, and maybe eventually an ssd along with 2 additional hard drives in raid.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
at full max load the trinity apu htpc's seem to be pulling about 160-170 total system watts. So even if you plan on adding 4 ssd's and 6 hdd and 10 fans as previous poster said 300 watt would still be enough. Honestly you could even get away with 250 watts.

With these really low required watts you dont have to get a huge full size psu. You can buy the SFX sized 300 watt power supplies which opens up more choices in better smaller htpc cases

You should get a mini itx mobo not a micro atx. And the small sfx sized psu. Then you can pick a really small sexy htpc case.