Sign in with
Your question

Disconnection problem when trying to do too many things.

Last response: in Networking
November 30, 2011 7:19:28 PM

Hi,
So i've been having a connection problem whenever i'm trying to do too many things at once (for instance using skype and spotify at the same time).
I have a rather new computer that i made myself with a Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter network card (inbuilt on an ASUS P8Z68-V LE motherboard).
We are currently on TalkTalk Broadband, and use a HUAWEI EchoLife HG521 router, However i can't connect directly into it, so i run an ethernet cable to the loft where it connects to a 3Com OfficeConnect Ethernethub 4C, and from there runs down to the room where the router is.
The router isn't actually placed in the master socket, as i wouldn't be able to access the router downstairs with an ethernet cable.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be causing the connection problem?
Would i be better off replacing the router/going wireless?
I play a lot of games so having a stable connection is pretty vital.

If any more info is needed I'd be more than happy to supply it,

Cheers
November 30, 2011 7:39:46 PM

What exactly happens, you said "connection problem", is it slow, does it disconnect from the internet, from the network, error messages, etc...? How long is the cable run?
November 30, 2011 8:09:05 PM

Ah sorry, it disconnects from the internet. But on my computer. The rest of the internet stays on. inorder to get it running again i can simply take out the ethernet in the router and plug it back in and it'll go straight back on.
As for the cable, i'm not too sure how long it is, but it has to run up one floor to the hub, then across and down to another hub. so i'm going to say the wires are fairly long.
November 30, 2011 8:23:16 PM

If the run is about 200+ feet, that could be the issue. Can you try to bring the computer close to the router, and use a short cable to test?

Is the hub a true hub or a switch? If it's a Hub, you should consider replacing it with a switch, hubs are very out-dated technology.
Related resources
!