Sign in with
Your question

295gtx (dual gpu) power concern

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2012 8:22:40 AM

Hello,
My firend has been struggling to power his gpu and has finally bought n huntkey x7 900 watt to prevent his card from blacking out,(previously on generic 600watt) but the huntkey has 5 +12v with only 18 amps on each of them.
Now I'm no psu expert but 18amps sounds way to low for that gpu even if you power it with 2 different rails?the card is still balcking out and he seems to thimk he poped it, I'M thinking he should have bought a card with less rails but higher amps like 2x 32amps or so?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated thanx.
a b Î Nvidia
October 21, 2012 8:31:33 AM

erashco said:
Hello,
My firend has been struggling to power his gpu and has finally bought n huntkey x7 900 watt to prevent his card from blacking out,(previously on generic 600watt) but the huntkey has 5 +12v with only 18 amps on each of them.
Now I'm no psu expert but 18amps sounds way to low for that gpu even if you power it with 2 different rails?the card is still balcking out and he seems to thimk he poped it, I'M thinking he should have bought a card with less rails but higher amps like 2x 32amps or so?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated thanx.

20 amps is the maximum that the ATX specification allows on any single wire at 12 volts (although many simply ignore this). Most PSUs limit wires to 18 amps. Multiple wires of the same voltage are then used to feed a single high current connector. For example, a 6 pin PCIe connector typically has two +12 volt wires (optionally 3) which may come from two or three separate voltage rails. There's little difference between a single rail system that fans out to multiple wires and a multi-rail system that pulls one wire from each rail. This provides good current balance across the entire system.
m
l
October 21, 2012 9:08:18 AM

To OP - you could try getting two 2x6pin to 1x8pin adapters so you will use 4 18A rails for the card.
m
l
!