Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Compiling from Linux Source..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.linux,alt.games.wolfenstein,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux (More info?)

I am trying to compile Return to Castle Wolfenstein from the source code:

cd ~/wolf-sdk/MP/src/unix/
../cons --release

During compile lots of messages scroll of the screen before I have had time to
read them. Is there a log file for these or is there a way of redirecting this
output to a log file ?

I did catch the following messages:

cc1: warning: -malign-loops is obsolete, use -falign-loops
cc1: warning: -malign-jumps is obsolete, use -falign-jumps
cc1: warning: -malign-functions is obsolete, use -falign-functions

Do I need to patch the .cons script, or should I just ignore these ?

cd ~/wolf-sdk/MP/src/unix/release-x86-Linux-/

The compile has created amongst othe things the following files:

../cgame/src/unix/cgame.mp.i386.so
../game/unix/qagame.mp.i386.so
../out/main/cgame.mp.i386.so
../out/main/qagame.mp.i386.so
../out/main/ui.mp.i386.so
../ui/src/unix/ui.mp.i386.so

Is one of these the main game executable or am I something missing ?

I have a Windows retail disk, but I am not sure which files I need from
this and where I have to copy them to.

What do I have to do next ?

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

http://markhobley.yi.org/

Mister_K

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.linux,alt.games.wolfenstein,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux (More info?)

You could always use nohup. This will create an output file called
nohup.out.

# nohup ./cons --release &

& runs the compile in the background
then run a tail on the nohup.out file

# tail -f nohup.out

===========================
= www.oyamaphotogrphy.com =
===========================

Mark Hobley wrote:
> I am trying to compile Return to Castle Wolfenstein from the source code:
>
> cd ~/wolf-sdk/MP/src/unix/
> ./cons --release
>
> During compile lots of messages scroll of the screen before I have had time to
> read them. Is there a log file for these or is there a way of redirecting this
> output to a log file ?
>
> I did catch the following messages:
>
> cc1: warning: -malign-loops is obsolete, use -falign-loops
> cc1: warning: -malign-jumps is obsolete, use -falign-jumps
> cc1: warning: -malign-functions is obsolete, use -falign-functions
>
> Do I need to patch the .cons script, or should I just ignore these ?
>
> cd ~/wolf-sdk/MP/src/unix/release-x86-Linux-/
>
> The compile has created amongst othe things the following files:
>
> ./cgame/src/unix/cgame.mp.i386.so
> ./game/unix/qagame.mp.i386.so
> ./out/main/cgame.mp.i386.so
> ./out/main/qagame.mp.i386.so
> ./out/main/ui.mp.i386.so
> ./ui/src/unix/ui.mp.i386.so
>
> Is one of these the main game executable or am I something missing ?
>
> I have a Windows retail disk, but I am not sure which files I need from
> this and where I have to copy them to.
>
> What do I have to do next ?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.

Archived from groups: alt.games.wolfenstein (More info?)

"Mark Hobley" <markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to compile Return to Castle Wolfenstein from the source code:

Any particular reason why you're not just using the Linux binary?

Dan / [AGW]Spacker

PS. You really don't want to be posting your postal address and phone number
on Usenet :p

Mark Hobley wrote:

> I am trying to compile Return to Castle Wolfenstein from the source code:
>
> cd ~/wolf-sdk/MP/src/unix/
> ./cons --release
>
> During compile lots of messages scroll of the screen before I have had time to
> read them. Is there a log file for these or is there a way of redirecting this
> output to a log file ?

../cons --release > logfile.txt

The > writes what you see to a file called logfile.txt

Spack <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote:

> Any particular reason why you're not just using the Linux binary?

I might make system changes which may not be compatible with the existing
binary.

I need to be able to build all packages from source.

Regards,

Mark.

--

Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

http://markhobley.yi.org/

Archived from groups: alt.comp.linux,alt.games.wolfenstein,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux (More info?)

Did you look at the functions? The may have been depreciated..

--
Todd Honea

In alt.games.wolfenstein Nobody U. Know <nobody@nospam.com> wrote:

> Did you look at the functions? The may have been depreciated..

What would I need to do in this instance ?

I am using the latest source code.

Please advise.

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 422 6580

http://markhobley.yi.org/

Mark Hobley wrote:

> I did catch the following messages:
>
> cc1: warning: -malign-loops is obsolete, use -falign-loops
> cc1: warning: -malign-jumps is obsolete, use -falign-jumps
> cc1: warning: -malign-functions is obsolete, use -falign-functions
>
> Do I need to patch the .cons script, or should I just ignore these ?

Just ignore for now. Well, that's what i would do ;)

> The compile has created amongst othe things the following files:
>
> ./cgame/src/unix/cgame.mp.i386.so
> ./game/unix/qagame.mp.i386.so
> ./out/main/cgame.mp.i386.so
> ./out/main/qagame.mp.i386.so
> ./out/main/ui.mp.i386.so
> ./ui/src/unix/ui.mp.i386.so
>
> Is one of these the main game executable or am I something missing ?

It's been quite a while since i compiled this myself, so i might be
totally wrong here, but IIRC ./out/* is part of the game.

> I have a Windows retail disk, but I am not sure which files I need from
> this and where I have to copy them to.
>
> What do I have to do next ?

From memory:

- Get the Linux executables
- Install
- Read Install README which tells you what other files you need
- Install your "mod", which IIRC reduces to making a subdir and putting
your .so's in there
- Run a server with your modified game files
- Connect to server with modified game files installed on client side
- Watch computer reboot ( :cool: )
- Check http://tinyurl.com/6wmu9 if something doesn't work

hth

Archived from groups: alt.comp.linux,alt.games.wolfenstein,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux (More info?)

You'd have to edit the source code to fix it. I took a quick look and it
appears it is depreciated (it should work, with warnings-which you got).

--
Todd Honea

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:08:09 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

> I am trying to compile Return to Castle Wolfenstein from the source code:
>
> cd ~/wolf-sdk/MP/src/unix/
> ./cons --release
>
> During compile lots of messages scroll of the screen before I have had time to
> read them. Is there a log file for these or is there a way of redirecting this
> output to a log file ?

[snip...]

Try using the script program. This program captures all stdin, stdout and
stderr and redirects them to a file. You session would look like this:

$ script build_log
$ cd ~/wolf-sdk/MP/src/unix/
$ ./cons --release

$ exit

The file `build_log' now contains a copy of everything you entered on
stdin as well as everything that output to either stdout or stderr.

George

Nobody U. Know wrote:
> Did you look at the functions? The may have been depreciated.

(and later)
> I took a quick look and it appears it is depreciated

I'm not usually pedantic, but sometimes I can't hold it back...
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/D/deprecated.html

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
Tragically, as many as 9625 out of every 10,000