Sign in with
Your question

Which gtx 670 (max 10.00", as cool as possible)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2012 10:58:38 AM

im looking for a gtx 670 for my mini itx build...rather a 2gb card since i only use full hd... i was also looking at a gtx 660 ti, but i think the 670 makes more sense

i only have (max) 10.00 inches space - so a dc2t or a windforce are allready out of the picture

my criterias in that order are

1) as cool as possible under load
2) price
3) performance
4) noise

ive read countless reviews...the evga gtx 670 ftw seems to be an option (there is a signature 2 version - i have no idea what the difference is), or the zotac amp which seems very cool, but also very pricey...

any tips from your side?

(im using the silverstone fortress mini case with a corsair h80 liquid cooling)

ps: im using a 450w psu - i assume this should be enough for a gtx 670, altough the official recommendation says otherwise

More about : gtx 670 max cool

a c 185 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 11:06:45 AM

Crap!Just noticed you said won't fit hmmm... well you might be out of luck for a really quiet one maybe this one i didn't check the specs these are what i have there fairly quiet not silent though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... EDIT-just looked in the box mine came with 10.51" x 4.6" x 1.5"
Related resources
October 21, 2012 11:09:54 AM

noise is surely also a concern, but at the very low end... im siting about 10 feet away from the screen/pc since im using a tv...therefore regarding the mini itx case, heat is the main issue...
October 21, 2012 11:28:11 AM

well i need something that is available everywhere (live in eu) and also are reluctant to use any non major brand card
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 11:49:01 AM

If the EVGA will fit i think it's your best bet then anyway good luck bud.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 12:17:46 PM

I don't think you should even attempt to run a GTX 670 with a 450W PSU. The max load from a couple reviews I've seen is ~320W. That's already 71% of your PSU's max load, more than that on just the 12V rail. Not going to happen. Especially with a water cooler.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 12:24:43 PM

dscudella said:
I don't think you should even attempt to run a GTX 670 with a 450W PSU. The max load from a couple reviews I've seen is ~320W. That's already 71% of your PSU's max load, more than that on just the 12V rail. Not going to happen. Especially with a water cooler.
:ouch:  Shame on me i missed that noway forget all about the 670 until your willing to upgrade that power supply
October 21, 2012 12:51:25 PM

Yeah op forget about a 670 in a mini itx build esp with a 450 psu thats just asking for trouble , as you said you only intend for one screen hd gaming a 660ti will be a perfect fit theres some seriously small cards in this range even then they recommend a 500 what psu you never stated your psu brand though but antec or a seasonic psu always go above there rated wattages without a problem

now picking a card thats not a brand name well only cards i tend to stay away from are zotac PNY , galaxy are a great card maker imo there always trying to innovate you just dont get many reviews about them good luck mate
October 21, 2012 5:02:38 PM

hmmm i searched for this on a looot of forums and the general consensus seems to be that a 450 powersupply is absolutely fine for a gtx 670...?

the psu i am looking at is the silverstone sfx series ST45SF-G (80 gold 450w)
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:10:04 PM

That PSU should work its different to most other 450w ones, its designed to take higher end graphics...37A on the 12V!
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:20:58 PM

As for the card all those suggested are going to perform decently, but in theory no matter how well they cool the chip, they are all kicking out the same amount of heat into the case...

the h100 will help there, but get some nice case fans too.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:28:13 PM

37A * 12v = 444W. That would still only give you 124W leftover for the 12V rail.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:30:17 PM

Plenty of people have done similar builds with that PSU, it is well known to be able to handle it
October 21, 2012 5:47:23 PM

well i could downgrade to a gtx 660 ti... but dont really want if i dont have too...

there is one case cooler at the bottom...and i was planning on using the corsair h80 as a cpu cooler...

what else would you recommend?
a c 99 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:48:27 PM

They said the same thing about a 5770 on a 300 watt unit. Never stopped me or caused any actual problems.

I also have a 2600K @ 4.4 with 5870(just a hair less power then your card of choice) and while i can take UPTO 350ish(OCCT PSU stress test).

Even the most demanding games do not take it above 250-280 at the wall.

ITX boards tend to be much more efficient, My media center(SilverStone SG05, that is literally what the FT03 Mini is based on :)  ) had never broke 180(more realistically just games got to about 140-150 watts) watts(I5 750 undervolted + 5770. Just cause 2 + Prime95. I am sure OCCT can push it harder, but not too much harder).

As long as the parts are picked with care and you are not overlocking(I would recommend not even going over stock voltage or overclocking if you have the performance you want) to the extreme, The 450 watt should play nice with the system.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:57:11 PM

Well, I'm not going to argue with experience and you guys have more than I do. I'm now in the learning chair, teach away :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:57:26 PM

Nemesis7884 said:
well i could downgrade to a gtx 660 ti... but dont really want if i dont have too...

there is one case cooler at the bottom...and i was planning on using the corsair h80 as a cpu cooler...

what else would you recommend?

You are fine with the 670, theres alot more to PSU's than simple power calculations... It will work with a 680 or 7970 too...

Obviously you will be going intel so CPU power consumption is going to be low and most mini itx boards are not set up for overclocking anyway with the exception of boards like the ASUS P8Z77-I...

Its a very capable PSU don't worry..

Edit. yea sorry h100 wont fit
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:01:46 PM

Nemesis7884 said:
im looking for a gtx 670 for my mini itx build...rather a 2gb card since i only use full hd... i was also looking at a gtx 660 ti, but i think the 670 makes more sense

i only have (max) 10.00 inches space - so a dc2t or a windforce are allready out of the picture

my criterias in that order are

1) as cool as possible under load
2) price
3) performance
4) noise

ive read countless reviews...the evga gtx 670 ftw seems to be an option (there is a signature 2 version - i have no idea what the difference is), or the zotac amp which seems very cool, but also very pricey...

any tips from your side?

(im using the silverstone fortress mini case with a corsair h80 liquid cooling)

ps: im using a 450w psu - i assume this should be enough for a gtx 670, altough the official recommendation says otherwise

I love small form factor builds.
What do you wish to accomplish with yours?

To answer your questions:
This EVGA GTX670 is 9.5" long, and should fit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The direct exhaust cooler will be more effective in a constricted case than one of the others with many fans, but nowhere to put the hot air.

There is a overclocked FTW version that is 10.0 " long. You would be well advised to measure carefully there since there is no margin for error.

The card needs two 6 pin pci-e connectors that the silverstone psu has. It has the power to drive those two connectors.

As to the other parts, here are some of my thoughts:
I don't much like all in one water cooling.
They are more expensive, louder and less reliable than a decent air cooler.
In a small case, it is difficult to orient the radiator properly. If you orient it to draw in cool air, the best for cpu cooling, it dumps that heated air into the case which hurts gpu cooling. And... What cpu will you be using, and how strong does it really need to be.

The case is really a M-ATX case, not an ITX case. If you need smallness, look at something like the Lian li PC-Q08.
If you want great cooling and quiet in a M-atx size, I suggest the silverstone TJ-08E
a c 99 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:04:43 PM

geofelt said:
The case is really a M-ATX case, not an ITX case. If you need smallness, look at something like the Lian li PC-Q08.
If you want great cooling and quiet in a M-atx size, I suggest the silverstone TJ-08E

Nah. Its the FT03 Mini :)  (not FT03) Basically turning a SG05 sideways and making it look more FT03 like.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=333
a c 99 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:09:09 PM

I keep an eye on SilverStones cases :) 

I have the SG05(with some modding) and FT03(with much less modding, just to stack SSD's in the single tray and actively cool the hard drives).
October 21, 2012 6:09:49 PM

yeah im looking at the evga ftw which is 10 inches long - in another forum i found a guy who built it into the case and he said it just fit - but as you said - absolutely no leftover...there is also the new signature 2 card from evga (ftw) but i have no idea what the difference is

i could still downgrade to a 660ti in case it doesnt work, this would be beneficial on heat/energy/size and price...performance just takes quite a hit...what would be your recommendation in case? also a evga 660ti ftw? windforce and dc 2 dont fit unfortunatly

im not planning to overclock - thats why the h77 board and the i5 3550 (which i think is a very good buy for the money)

silvertek recommends a watercooling...every thread i found so far used a watercooling in that case so i dont know, i really dont have experience...the scythe mugen b should also fit in properly since its low profile

im also looking for another case fan (better) so open for recommendations

a c 185 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:10:20 PM

Hmmmm... i assumed you had a no name psu since you did not list it my apologies i checked the specs it seems it would be fine.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:12:25 PM

Its not as if a pump and res are going to fit in there anyway...

I think an h80 is pretty much the best solution..
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:26:21 PM

The EVGA signature 2 is also only 9.5" long. it has a overclock similar to the FTW, but the card is more expensive.

If you will be using a 3550 and no overclocking, I see no need at all for a fancy cooler. The stock Intel cooler will do the job. Running at default voltage, the 22nm ivy bridge chips are very cool. If you want,replace the stock cooler with one with a larger fan to reduce noise.

If you value gaming, use the strongest graphics card you can.
October 21, 2012 6:27:46 PM

i could probably use a low profile air cooler...still wondering which is better, most people seem to prefer the air

thx a lot for the review! i was looking all day for something like it
a c 99 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:30:05 PM

Please post your board of choice. Some boards have the cpu socket VERY close the the PCI-E slot and extra care when picking a cooler is needed.

this was soo close, I had to re-drill the bracket for a cooler(Gemini S) to move it over just a bit.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:33:30 PM

I think you were right in the first place Nemesis, no decent air cooler is going to fit in there and the reason for choosing something like the h80 over stock cooling is to prevent as much heat building up in the case
October 21, 2012 6:36:41 PM

well the overall setup as of now is:

case: Silverstone Fortress Mini in Silver
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-Wifi Mini ITX
CPU: i5 3550
Ram: 8gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
hdd/ssd: SSD Samsung Flash 256GB 830-er Serie
gpu: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
optical - none, to expensive and not needed
psu: Silverstone SST-ST45SF-G
cooling: corsair h80
a c 99 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:44:13 PM

With the H80, I think you can kiss the optical drive goodbye as it will require removal of that part of the case.

With your board(Close cpu socket to video card), I think some kind of cooler like that will still be best. You could get an air cooler, just takes a bit more care to pick one.
October 21, 2012 6:50:34 PM

i wont need an optical...all my notebooks and pc's have one, and i have never ever used it in my life...the times of optical drives are gone i guess
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 6:53:17 PM

paddys09 said:
I think you were right in the first place Nemesis, no decent air cooler is going to fit in there and the reason for choosing something like the h80 over stock cooling is to prevent as much heat building up in the case

I disagree. The reason for a H80 is to get better cpu cooling which is not needed when you will not be overclocking.
And, the downside is that the heated radiator air will heat up the interior of the case.
The supplied 140mm intake fan is plenty for both the cpu and gpu. I would not want to replace it with a 120mm radiator.

The limit on cpu cooler height is 82mm.
Check the height on this Zalman unit which is only 60mm high:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-118-...
October 21, 2012 7:01:20 PM

im really unsure about that since the cooling is the most crucial point - here the answer from silverstonetek why they recommend a liquid cooling:

Many Mini-ITX motherboards are currently designed based off of Intel’s reference layout, which means the CPU is likely positioned too close to the PCI Express slot and limits the size of CPU coolers that can be installed. Normally if the same size fan is used, a high-end air cooler is more efficient than liquid cooler. However, Mini-ITX motherboard restrictions usually limit air coolers that use 92mm fan or smaller so liquid coolers would have the advantage in the FT03-MINI as the radiator is installed in the bottom of the case and not limited by the space around CPU area. We can fully recommend using liquid cooler in the FT03-MINI as an alternative, our internal testing also shows liquid coolers to perform better than air coolers within the FT03-MINI.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 7:07:16 PM

Water cooling works slightly differently to air, cant think up a great explanation for it now but its basically the same argument as people saying that it matters which order you cool your components in, basically the heat doesn't dissipate as quickly or evenly as on air..

I would love to be proven wrong, but I reckon he would have lower CPU and case temps with the h80 compared to that zalman cooler and it takes up more space preventing airflow to the top exhaust.

Edit: I would also be worried about it fouling components on the mobo or RAM but cant be sure, we know the h80 works and people give good feedback so why take the risk?
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 7:31:21 PM

Nemesis7884 said:
im really unsure about that since the cooling is the most crucial point - here the answer from silverstonetek why they recommend a liquid cooling:

Many Mini-ITX motherboards are currently designed based off of Intel’s reference layout, which means the CPU is likely positioned too close to the PCI Express slot and limits the size of CPU coolers that can be installed. Normally if the same size fan is used, a high-end air cooler is more efficient than liquid cooler. However, Mini-ITX motherboard restrictions usually limit air coolers that use 92mm fan or smaller so liquid coolers would have the advantage in the FT03-MINI as the radiator is installed in the bottom of the case and not limited by the space around CPU area. We can fully recommend using liquid cooler in the FT03-MINI as an alternative, our internal testing also shows liquid coolers to perform better than air coolers within the FT03-MINI.

Good point.
I did some research, and I found two ITX motherboards that do not place the cpu socket ad close the the pci-e slot.
The best is the ASUS P8Z77-I http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another is the Foxconn H67S which costs a bunch less, but has no wifi if you need that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Regardless, I suggest you first try using the stock cooler and see how you do before spending big bucks on a liquid cooler.

And... Thanks for pointing out the potential conflict with the pcie slot. Looking at a current ITX 1155 motherboard, I can see the problem.
I have been contemplating a build when haswell comes out using ITX and the lian li PC-Q08 case. In the spcr review, they used a Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi lga 775 motherboard which did not have the problem.
Here is a link to the review if you are interested.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/lianli-pcq08
!