Sign in with
Your question

The best of best GPUs! Which one to choose?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 2:10:42 PM

Hello all of you hardware hungry members!

I just sold my last gaming desktop, and I'll be buying a new one in the end of November.

Here is my question - What GPU should I choose, when I won't be overclocking and don't want to spend too much?

I've been looking into these 3 cards AMD HD 7950, GTX 660 TI and GTX 660.

I'm more into the GTX 660 because of the attractive price. I mean it's not far behind in performance than the 2 other cards, and it is waaaaaaay cheaper.

Am I totally lost here or what? What would you guys recommend?

More about : gpus choose

October 21, 2012 2:18:27 PM

well, you're not going to OC, so no 7950...

my friend has a 660ti and the specs are identical to a 670 except for the memory controllers and all that, so i'd say to go with that.

the maximum performance is one thing to go by, which is close, but the 660ti will last a lot longer if you want it for 2 years or more.

but if you're at all willing to oc, definitely 7950.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 2:54:06 PM

GTX 670 hands down between those cards if your not planing to overclock crazy then i would recommend a card that is highly factory overclocked out of the box a couple solid choices come to mind MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.The other card that comes to mind.GIGABYTE's GTX 670 Windforce OC is a premium GTX 670 implementation. The card uses the exact same PCB as the NVIDIA reference design GTX 680, paired with GIGABYTE's own cooling solution. GIGABYTE has increased clocks of their card by a large amount to exploit their custom design as much as possible. The reasons behind this trend are multi faceted but likely stem from the fact that it doesn’t cost a dime more than a reference version’s $399 but incorporates several unique elements that really allow it to stand apart. While Gigabyte may not have the highly regarded customer service of EVGA or the localized RMA facilities of MSI, they’re betting an aggressive price will draw people in.And so far seems to be working out very well lol anyway hope this helps and good luck!

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 3:01:32 PM

If you are looking for the best value, it would be the 660gtx or the 7870. They trade blows depending on what games you play. I would look at the benchmarks and choose whichever one is faster at the game you play.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 3:23:35 PM

Well i would agree with maestro0428 to a certain extent if your looking to spend less and still get good results those are great suggestions but noway is the 660 or 7870 better value then a non reference 670 lol the reason why is because it's not a fair match up the 670 will crush both those cards which is not saying much as they are not on a 670 level. With that said, you have to look at how AMD and Nvidia models match up.There is no answer to your question right now all these cards trade blows there is no clear winner!Fanboys will argue this but just know they are kidding them self's these type of members i assume are very lonely people in real life and have nothing better to do then troll forums and sip red/green kool aid all day long which may be annoying but we should actually feel sorry for them and ignore there bias ways!"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
GTX660/7870
GTX660 Ti/R7950
GTX670/R7970
GTX680/ R7970 Ghz
GTX690/ R7990
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 3:43:40 PM

Ofc I would love the GTX 670, the performance was from the start of the launch just mind blowing in every game - and still is!
The only problem is, that it doesn't perform double as good, as the gtx 660, but still comes at double the price.
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 4:36:58 PM

get the gtx660 non ti. its a better value than 660ti and the 670 as well
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 21, 2012 5:31:54 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Ofc I would love the GTX 670, the performance was from the start of the launch just mind blowing in every game - and still is!
The only problem is, that it doesn't perform double as good, as the gtx 660, but still comes at double the price.
Hmmm... i never thought about it that way good point your correct 670 does not out preform a 660 by double the amount
!