stealththrash

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Greetings everyone!
I'm willing to get a new gaming PC, and I just found a prebuilt that fits right into my budget, but a friend of mine told me that the components ain't very well chosen
Here are the main specs:

Intel Core I7-3770
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H Motherboard
16 GB DDR3 1333MHZ Kingston/Gskill (4x4GB) memory
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card
Topower Nano 650w Power Supply
Aerocool VS9 Case

He told me that:
.It should have an AMD processor, to get a better performance from the graphics card
.Kingston rams ain't very reliable, it could bottleneck
.The Power Supply "is garbage, it performs as a 500w cooler master one"

Is he right?
If so, I'll end home-building one. What components should I change without rising the prices too much?
I want a PC with those specs, but with fully compatible components. I mean, what AMD processor should be the equivalent to the I7-3770? What brand should I pick for a 16 GB DRR3 memory? The same goes for everything, except for the graphics card (I pretty much love that little thing!)
Here's the link for the PC for more details:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-441429982-pc-intel-core-i7-z77-16gb-hd-1tb-ati-7870-2gb-ddr5-_JM#questionText
Thanks in advance!
Regards!

chugot9218

Honorable
Wrong about the processor, it won't matter what your GPU is, AMD or NVidia, they both play well with AMD and Intel (they have to). The RAM is okay, g.skill or Kingston are both pretty good brands, the 1333mhz is fine for a gaming PC, RAM speed doesn't make that much of a different anyways. 16gb is overkill for gaming but can't hurt, I bought 16gb myself for my gaming rig, makes future compatibility less of an issue. You do not need the i7 for gaming, the i5 is am uch better value. That PSU sounds like it'd be garbage, go with a name brand, Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, etc...

stealththrash

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks a lot Chugot!
I just noticed the seller has a section on it's website to personally build a pc
As you said, the i5-3570K is cheaper than the i7-3770, and they both work at 3.4GHz. So, what's the difference? Why is that i5 cheaper?
I also chose a single 8GB DDR3 1600MHz AMD Ram instead of four Kingstons. Is it going to work at real 1600MHz, or will it bottleneck because of the i5?
And finally, I changed to PSU with a Cooler Master Silent Pro M700W
Will the Aerocool VS9 be enough or would it need another refrigeration sytem?
Thanks!

chugot9218

Honorable
The i7 is capable of hyperthreading, which emulates an additional 4 cores, which is not helpful for gaming, only for programs that take advantage of multiple cores, and even the games that do likely do not use more than 4. It is more for heavy rendering, video editing, that kind of stuff. Basically it's a waste of money for simply gaming. No RAM is going to bottleneck especially with that CPU, I run RAM at 2133mhz, but although the speeds sound like big differences, it really does not offer that much of a difference in performance. Knowing what I do now, I probably would have just gotten some 1600mhz RAM to save some bucks, the 2133mhz is pretty spendy. Also, if you are going with only 8gb get 2 4gb sticks, the RAM will run better if it is taking advantage of dual channel mode.

Coolermaster is also a horrible PSU brand, switch it for one of them I recommended above, you'd probably be safe with a good PSU around 600w.

Your case is not going to make a huge difference, just make sure it looks good and has decent reviews. Things like good cable management are a good thing to find out. Usually the standard cooling included in a case is enough, but I have not heard of that brand so I have no experience.