(I apologize in case I'm posting this in the wrong category, I'm a bit unsure if it's the right place or not)
My name's Kevin and I'm planning to buy a new computer within the next 2 - 3 weeks.
I have basic - medium hardware knowledege on how to choose most of the components, however, I'm no expert and there are some things I would like to ask/discuss.
I have more or less a clear picture of what I want to achieve, I just need to fill in some blanks and could use some help with that, as well as help with detecting possible faults in my design (things I might have overlooked or wasn't aware of).
It's not my first computer, but it will be the first one I will build myself. A friend who has build his own computer offered to help as well in the building process in case I run into some problems or have any doubts. The reason I want to build it myself is to learn more about hardware and because it's fun, I'm also very aware of that it's not really cheaper and that it might give a few headaches, but that's ok =).
What I'm gonna use the computer for :
- gaming (offline, lan and online)
- multimedia (I'm gonna use my tv as a monitor - > 42" in size and has 3D with glasses)
- programming (visual studio, sql management server, vmware, and more)
Alright, that was some background information so you understand what kind of computer I want to build.
I have already choosen the following components (not bought yet, just choosen):
- cpu : Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz (Ivy Bridge) - // BX80637I73770K
- RAM : 2 packets of Kingston DDR3 HyperX red 1600MHz 16GB (that means a total of 32GB) - // KHX16C10B1RK2/16X
- gpu : ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 2GB AMP! ® - // ZT-60902-10M
- motherboard : ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional - // Z77 PROFESSIONAL
- hard disk : 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA 6Gbit/s -// ST3000DM001
- ssd disk : SSD 240GB Intel 335 Reseller 2.5" -// SSDSC2CT240A4K5
- blu ray : LG BH10LS38 Blu-Ray/DVD - // BH10LS38.AUAU10B
I've put the art nr next to each one in case there are several models with the same name.
I'm going to have my cpu with the max amount of RAM memory (32GB), 1600 Mhz (maximum of the 2 possibilities ; 1333 and 1600 Mhz), configured in dual channel.
The graphics card has support for dual SLI, which I will not be using now, but maybe in 1 - 2 years.
I choose my motherboard so it has :
- Intel 1155 socket
- sockets for 32GB DDR3
- 2 x PCIe 3 + SLI support ( 2 PCIe 3 in case of SLI which has 2 x 1 graphics card with PCIe 3)
- xmp , just like the memories have (I'm unsure if it's the same version, as the motherboard only supports v1.2 and v1.3)
- support for dual memory channels
- 6 x SATA 6Gbit/s so i can have a ssd and hard disk at that speed, as well as being able to expand afterwards with other hard disk that have that speed.
what I'm still missing :
- heat sink + fan
- power supply
I would like some help with those - providing the other components have no issues. I have no idea on how to pick a power supply, so any suggestions are welcome (and consider i might add more components, so some extra power would be appreciated ). Suggestions for a cool - but not too expensive case and heat sink + fan would also be appreciated.
After the thread being moved, I checked the forum rules, and noticed I should add :
Parts not required: mouse & keyboard / speakers / monitor.
Country of purchase : Sweden
Tv Resolution : 1920 x 1080
SLI : want to have the possibility for 2 - way. However, no SLI when I buy the computer. Possibly after 1 year.
Crossfire : maybe
Overclocking : Not a big fan, so no in the beginning, maybe afterwards.
Preferences : Kingston RAM, GeForece graphics card, intel cpu.
Formfactor : atx
Price range of remaining parts : about 700 USD (less is fine too, even preferred ^^)
Purchase way : Online
No preferred website for shopping - just recommend me some parts and I will find the cheapest place to be it ^^
Additional question: I heard something about i7 needing to be unlocked before it can be used with certain motherboards. Is this necessary with this motherboard?