cranachan

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
So, I finally got around to building my own computer and it has decided to develop a strange noise. Specs:
- i5 3570k (@ stock and default fan)
- PowerColor 7950 pcs+
- Corsair tx650w v2
- ASRock Z77 extreme 4
- 8Gb Corsair Vengence LP
- 500GB WD blue

I have manually stopped (carefully I might add) both GPU fans and it continues, its not the processor fan as it doesn't happen when I leave prime95 running for a while. The HDD doesnt appear to be making the noise and the PSU has adaqueate access to fresh air from outside the case. It's nothing to do with the speakers or sound as it happens regardless of my headphones in the front or speakers at the back plugged in (or muted, or disconnected completely)

Funny thing is it seems to have a thing for the empire total war loading and menu screen, it starts quietly when the little movie starts and then is at its loudest when at the main menu. Exiting the game stops it instantly. Sometimes it decideds to start in oblivion, medieval 2, rome total war and even non-demanding times such as youtube videos.

Any help would be appreciated.

cranachan

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

It's a high pitched noise that kind of goes up and down in pitch in a random order. Sometimes exiting a program or changing the menu will cause it to go up or down to a new note where it stays.

It's kind of a slipping fan belt noise but much quieter obviously

Sounds like Coil whine. I'm going to find a video on youtube and tell me if it sounds like this. Sometimes this happens with some components because of the stress being placed on the system as power increases or as a component is doing more. I've been told there can be some lasting effects from it as the coil whine comes from something lose around the magnetic wrap around a coil. But nothing that would be immediately damaging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISIRKFETxZA

cranachan

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Yup, that sounds like it. Only I can't get mine by running furmark or prime95. Just random situations such as menus, but not the games themselves.

Any ideas about what to do? Should I RMA the card?

Well what I would do is this. Take off your side panel load up the program that causes it and put your ear to your case and try to narrow it down. For me it would bug the hell out of me I would want to RMA whatever it may be. It can be anything that has a coil psu, gpu, motherboard anything.