Sign in with
Your question

IP address, changed by router?

Last response: in Networking
November 30, 2011 11:27:07 PM

I was talking to a friend today and he told me that a router changes the IP address you're given to by the ISP?
So I checked with whatismyip.org and let's say with the router, it showed, 29.28.29.450
Then I took the router out and just used the modem and it showed as 29.28.29.449

If I were to use a different router, would it end with 450 again? Or an entirely different number, because the router is of a different brand?

I'm assuming having a router is good for protection from malware, trojans and what not?

Thanks.

More about : address changed router

December 1, 2011 2:31:56 AM

It depends on how your ISP handles IP addresses. Some use DHCP so every time you disconnect then reconnect you get a new address that happens to be free. Some have smarter DHCP servers like my ISP that remembers your device's mac address (unique identifier assigned to network interfaces) So I would get a different ip address on each device it plugged directly in to my modem, but if I plugged a device back in again it would get the same IP it had before.

But I would recommend using a router, it blocks allot more stuff trying to break in to your network, as well as adds the ability let multiple device connect to the internet at once
m
l
Related resources
!