Best Graphics card for triple monitors and my situation

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hello, Upfront I apologize if their is already a post over this topic, I just cant for the life of me find a forum with the same decision im looking at. Im currently building my first big build and I have am planning on eventually having three 1080p 24" monitors for gaming mostly and some multitasking and school work.

Currently I have:
Motherboard: Asus P8z77 LK
Power Supply: corsair tx650 (i know itll probably be cutting it close with power doing a sli configeration)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
CPU: Intel I5 3570k

My first question is your guys opinions on the gpu or gpu's I should go with. Im a fan of the galaxy and asus 600 series cards so that is mainly the area I am looking into. However, I dont know alot about the other brands, but i am interested in suggestions.

My first choice was to eventually sli a pair of 660ti's 2gb. My worries were if the 2gb and smaller memory buss would be able to handle it fine.
I also looked at the 3gb versions of the 660 ti's, but their is a significant price jump right now since the 2gb are on sale right now.
Lastly i did look at the 670 2gb and 4gb cards. However, unless it was a huge difference I would prefer not to spend that much. Im a college student so im trying to save up and have been buying the whole build piece by piece.

I also checked out the hd 7950 and 7970, however I feel like since I am running intel and seem to have had alot of friends with great results using nvidia. I really dont know alot about amd cards, but i am interested if they are a better bang for the buck.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions you guys have on this. Im kinda confused at this point honestly because it seems that every thread I read has a very different opinion.

XXStavrosXX

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

I was worried thart might be a problem. would the 3gb help or is it just cause itis ony 192 bit?

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Okay, thats what I wanted to make sure of. Would a single 670 4gb handle tripple monitors? also, the sapphire Vapor x 6gb is in the similar price bracket and so is the 680. would the 6gb be the best option for tripple monitors?
I was also looking at the sapphire toxic. However, it seems like it isnt a whole lot better than the vapor x and its a $100 more?

I appologize for all the stupid questions! I don't really have any experience with amd based cards.
Thank you guys for all the suggestions so far

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
All the cards mentioned will handle triple monitors. How well depends on vram, monitor resolution, game engine and settings. There's alot of debate over whether 6gb is needed, with many saying that 4gb will be sufficient for most games in high to ultra settings (no one has confirmed this as yet afaik) But from my experience (running 2xhd5870 vapour-x) I'm picking that 4gb will be sufficient. However, having said that, if the 6gb card is in spiiting distance (price wise) of the 4gb card why not get the extra vram?
Good luck.

kylemm

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
the gtx 680 is in the same price bracket as the 7970 6gb. Is the 6gb still going to be better due to the larger memory interface. I know in benchmark tests they store pretty much even