Need advice for first PC build

ss9417

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
So, I am thinking of building a rather decent PC for a while now, and have started picking out my parts. Before I list them keep these things in mind:

My Budget is loosely $1500 AUD.

I will be getting all my parts from CPLOnline, so if you want to recommend a part, make sure it is listed there.

For CPUs/GPUs I'm only using Intel/Nvidia tech respectivley. No AMD suggestions please.

I'm not planning on overclocking myself, so I don't need any OC compatible parts.

Parts!
■Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
■CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz LGA1155
■CPU Fan: Coolermaster Hyper T4 CPU Cooler
■GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 Factory Overclocked
■Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
■Ram: Ares Dual Channel 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
■HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
■SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB
■Optical Drive: LG CH12LS28 Blu-ray Combo
■PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750W HCG-750

A few things worth noting
I believe my Motherboard is up to scratch, but I am willing to take new suggestions for it.

To fend off any "RAM is overkill" comments, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH RAM MUAHAHAHAHA AND THE LIKES

I am planning on keeping the HDD strictly for file storage, and to use the SSD as a boot disk. I would have gone for the 60GB counterpart, but this was only $30 more, and I can use it to store some of my heftier games.

With the optical drive, I don't care too much about quality with this one. As long as it works it should be good enough for me, I don't give a toss about speed and the whatnot.

I have no idea what to look for in a PSU, so I just chose this one. Feel free to call overkill, but keep in mind that I might upgrade in future. Also, (Semi)Modular is preferred.

As for Wifi/Bluetooth, I don't need them. I plan to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable, and I don't care much for Wifi cards in the first place.

I already have an OS/Screen/Keyboard/Mouse/Headset

My reason for an aftermarket CPU Fan is that I heard bad things about the stock cooler. I figured I would get it just to be on the safe side.

So that's it. Feel free to point out where things aren't right, I will check back frequently.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice guys, I have updated my motherboard and my SSD.
Is it good to finalize the machine now? Or did I miss something huge?

The build is very good, though some parts are iffy.

That motherboard is very expensive, a ~$130 board like the GA-Z77X-D3H or AsRock Z77 Extreme4 will be sufficient for your needs.

Would upgrade the SSD to an OCZ Vertex 4 or Samsung 830, both are better drives than the 330.

You picked a good PSU and the wattage is about right if you are giving yourself the ability to upgrade the dual cards later on.

The reason why the motherboard you have selected is pricey is because unlike the other models from gigabyte it has thunderbolt which is a pretty new thing to the pc market a very pricey thing if you have no intent on using it the D3H works as well. Although Asrock makes good boards as well the Extreme 4 should be more then enough for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546

I also agree with the SSD comments Manofchalk makes. You would be happier with a Samsung 830 or a Vertex 4 or even a Crucial M4.

The power supply is a good unit some people prefer Corsair or XFX. The power supply you have selected is good. Decent efficiency comes with 4 6+2 PCI-E connections so you don't have to use stupid adapters :p Has a nice aesthetic appeal. If you wanted a higher level of efficiency you could go with something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

In terms of the optical drive I have no complaints with the blu ray drive choice just beware that you will not be able to watch blu rays natively without software Microsoft doesn't natively support it at least on windows 7. Powerdvd is by far I feel the best option.

I also really like the case option you choose its a bit pricey for what it is in my opinion being a mid atx case however the build quality inside a corsair case is immense at least the higher end cases.

And in terms of ram you are spot on where you should be :) overkill talk would start with 16/32gb's and people asking what the hell are you doing :p

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
your spending too much if your not going to oc, i could build a pc that will out do that at stock speeds for at least 200 bucks less but i would use amd cause its cheaper for the performance. still 230 is a lot for a mobo, what does it have that makes you want to pay so much? you can find good ones for 150 or even under 100. personally i wouldnt pay over 1000 for a pc i wouldnt overclock. but i would use it for gaming, what are you going to use this for?
usually you dont need a after market cooler unless you overclock and the factory OC 670 might not be a good idea im not sure about yours but a few people had problems with some of nvidias factory OC cards burning but i dont know their setup and such but i'd still just go with a normal one, a normal one is still like in the top 5 gaming cards

@Chairs: It's because of the thunderbolt. And hes in a different country other than the us so the numbers are different.
Also, the OC version of the 670 is using the windforce 3x cooler and is a silent card with amazing performance. The normal gigabyte 670 doesn't come with the same cooler. I have the card he's posted and its amazing.
Also, given how much hes willing to spend I wouldn't recommend AMD its not the bleeding edge on anything gaming or editing. I started off building with AMD chips back in the day of socket 939 since then its been very hard to go AMD with performance in mind.

ss9417

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Alright, I have changed my parts list a bit, more specifically the Motherboard and SSD.
Is my build ready to finalize? Or have I missed something obvious?

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

ok, i didnt check the card i just know some of their OC cards have overheating problems and you can go with amd with performance in mind, look at the 8350 cheaper than the i5 3570k but plenty better. im going to stick with amd till i win the lottery or something, the price for performance is unbeatable. that being said i dont think there is a game that uses the full power of the i5 2500k so if its for gaming then it doesnt matter, you can get away with a phenom II x4 heck, I max most games with a phenom 8400 and a 9800 GT

yes amd isnt the best at editing but when its half the price as its competitors and just slightly worse and with gaming i disagree, hardware is so far ahead of software and has been for a while like i said i can at least play almost every game with 5+ year old hardware i say almost cause i havent tried all

anyway i would recommend a different mobo and maybe different SSD... oh and MORE RAM haha

Oye! the 8350 is the best that AMD has and with the instability of the company it is just beyond me how anyone could recommend AMD. I'm going to refer to Overclock3d on this one. Want to know why watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7wFKewAbgs
Unless he is editing he doesn't need more then 8 period. And you can't max most modern games with the 9800gt BF3, Metro 2033, Farcry 3, Crysis 2, BAA/BAC, BL2 @1080p.

Manofchalk what do you think do you think he is ready to buy and build his machine. I'm about to pull my hair out on the AMD recommendation at this point given the budget he has.

chairsgotoschool

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

i never recommended amd sheesh dont get so pissed about nothing the 8350 is overall better and single thread not far behind for a cheaper price and i have never had stability problems and my friends havent with their fx processors. i was really pointing out he is spending too much on a pc that isnt super amazing.

and i said most games and you say i cant max the 6 most demanding games out. thats like someone saying their car is faster than most then you jump up and say NO, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lotus

ss9417

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Ok, lemme just step in here and break you two up before things get bad.
I am happy with my build now, and I think I am ready to finalize.
Thanks for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts