lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
Hi again. I believe I am well versed in desktop computers, and I want to know if I "could" build a tablet pc. I want a hobby/project that I can research and work on for a while. I wanted to know if anyone has ever built a tablet pc and what essentials I would need.

I expect it to be thick enough for a very slim optical drive left over from my sister's worn & broken laptop. if I use this optical drive, I may have extra room to spare for a small fan.

I want to use a decent amount of RAM. My desktop has 8 GB RAM, and that is the max. most likely 4 GB low profile.

As for the processor, I need enough power for Windows 8 instead of RT. I plan to watch flash videos, etc. I don't think I need the office apps in RT because I mostly use Google drive. If I go with windows 8, what other mobile support would I miss out on?

The motherboard obviously needs to be small, but I forgot the words to describe micro boards. I do not need cellular capabilities, but I do need wifi, Bluetooth, and usb, any other i/o ports are optional but appreciated.

Is a micro SD card good enough for storage?

What kind of place do I order a custom frame/case from, or what could I use?

I understand that the battery may be drained from RAM and any good processor, so is lithium ion still the high standard?

Power supply is usually part of the motherboard, if not, please inform me.

Please inform me if I have missed anything besides the touch screen. I wonder if I could get a broken tablet off ebay and modify?

I don't care about weight so much unless it interferes with its versatility.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I will find a way. probably take 2 emptied tablets and customize from there, to start. I may take a look into what the windows 8 tablets use to start.
I am excited to learn, and I don't expect it to be just pick and choose, like desktops are.

I expect to need certain equipment for putting it together. I will look at the windows surface (kinda square shape) to see if it could be as simple as doubling the thickness with an extra case to make room.

I want it to be a long term project that I can just do research on at this stage.

just so people know it is rare, but has been done: http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/forums/index.php?/showtopic=7285 http://carbontablet.blogspot.com
unfortunately, he never re-posted any results to confirm or deny.

I want any slim dvd/blu-ray drive because I would like to watch movies on a road trip or use as a real computer instead of an enlarged ipod. that's also why I want to use windows 8 for an os, laptop PC possibility and software availability

Edit: fixed links

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Take into account that most of the mainboards to those tablets are custom formfactors.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I have decided not to do this. I have found a few other projects, and I will wait a while until tablets are more powerful computers or have more interchangeable parts. I would love to build a tablet, but I guess they aren't advanced enough to benefit from customization like laptops are.

I will be working on resolving office & laptop problems, building computers for my family and friends, and getting a job to pay for my own upgrades.

Today, I passed the exam for a Comptia A+ certification, so I can probably get a reasonable job in the computer industry.

I will be saving for the next iPhone, which will probably have more accessories by the time it is released due to the similar physical aspects as the current one.

I will work on building and customizing my own tablet, but that can wait for more part compatibility between different phones and tablets.

G

In a way, you can. However, I had little sucssess when I tried to build mine. If you have got an old laptop lying around, you can flip the screen around and add a touchscreen (easier said than done). A guy built a "PiPad" tablet from a Raspberry Pi tablet , a 10" capacitive touchscreen, and a plywood case. The PiPad is built from a $35 Raspberry Pi microcomputer which includes a 700mhz arm processor, 512MB RAM, HD-Video, and you cann add an SD card with Linux on it. You could always dismantle a laptop, (don't do this with your Macbook) and 35-print a case (if you have a 3d-printer, and I doubt you do). Or for the cheaper option you always could make a case out of Lego. But for the amount of money it will take to build the tablet, you might as well buy a $35 tablet from India!