Atikmpag.sys, already removed and updated drivers, no fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicbox26

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hello,

I recently bought a new PC (Intel Core i3-2120, 3.30 GHz, 4GB Ram, Radeon HD 5450 1GB, Windows 7 32-bit.

When I started up the PC I noticed I was using the integral video card, not the Radeon one, so I looked up the problem and realized I had to download the drivers. I downloaded Catalyst 12.8 for Windows 7 32-bit and installed it all smoothly.

However, when I restarted the PC, after the Windows logo, the screen became black for about ten seconds and then a BSOD came up, the error being "atikmpag.sys".

I went into safe mode, unninstalled the Radeon driver, and it booted up nicely (using the integral video card). I tried to reinstall the driver, same problem, BSOD.

So now I'm stuck. I'm using the integral card (standard vga graphics adapter, or "Ati Atombios", as it shows on the dxiag). I can't update the drivers for the Radeon, so I can't use it. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi do you have the card properly selected in the BIOS?

epicbox26

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I played around in the BIOS, didn't find an option like that other than "Integral Card" which had the "Enabled" Disabled" and "Auto" options. I tried with the three of them, no deal.

Does an unknown device show in Device Manager?

Does the video card require a power connector from the power supply?
Is the fan on the video card spinning or show any signs of life on it physically?

epicbox26

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
On display adapters it's "standard vga graphics adapter", however there's also "Video Controller" in the "other devices" tab, which appears to be outdated.

Only one power connector is being used, and it doesn't connect directly to the video card, so no.

All fans are working

epicbox26

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
It detects as Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe, Windows 7 32-bit and says the best driver for me would be 12-10_vista, 7, etc etc.

I have the CCC 12_8, perhaps the 12_10 makes a change (I downloaded tge 12.8 from the ATI site, it said it was the most updated).

Can't download though here though, 404 error. I'll try to do it manually

EDIT: 12_10 doesn't exist, weird. 12_8 looks like the most updated

You can do it at it says, then try to remove any folders that it might have left behind.

epicbox26

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
36f5fffa60ae0a717ef751db02b32b40.png

No deal, BSOD. I'm in safe mode right now. Driver is installed though, as you can see in the picture

rainbueza

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
hi epicbox26, i experienced that error and fixed it just a couple of miuntes ago. ^_^
after almost 5 hours of searching for solutions, I already firgured the problem. atikmdag.sys and atikmpag.sys are driver related errors. Please be informed that when AMD released a new driver update, it is not necessarily compatible with your current video card.

What I have experienced was this, Im using Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850, and was using AMD Catalyst 12.8, I found out that 12.10 was already released so I updated my CCC to 12.10 from 12.8. I never had problems with 12.8 though. It just a common logic that whenever a new update released, it improves a certain hardware right? but not for AMD vcards ( i dont know for Nvidia though).

After updating to 12.10, I began to experienced atikmdag.sys and atikmpag.sys BSODs. I did everything, updating BIOS, reformat my OS, uninstall (with driver sweeper), and reinstall latest AMD driver (including CCC - which 12.10).

Im already frustrated, then after thinking for a couple of minutes, "if I im not experienced this with my previous driver version, why not uninstall 12.10 version of CCC and revert to 12.8"

so in your case, just go back with your previous driver version. remember to use driver sweeper before reinstalling your old driver.

Hope this helps.

manden22

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Serious guys, I dont think its a driver issue. I have excatly the same problem, with radeon hd5770 and win 7/64. I recently had win 7/64 with 6gb of ram. Installed x64 because it uses the last 2gb of ram. Then i installed the display drivers. Then it came with bsod on boot. No matter what i did. Then i removed 2 gb ram. Could install drivers without crash, but couldnt open pictures or video. Could stream from youtube though.. Then i removed 2gb more. Every thing works. So i am currently playing flight simulator on 2gb ram. Sucks.

Try removing some of your ram blocks, and see if this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.