[Full build] Wasn't sure where to put this, but, will this work?

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
First of all, I'm completely *** at hardware, never understood it, never had to. Anyway, so, I'm setting up a small(ish) data PC in my household in order to store the mass amounts of files I currently own (Which, just running off my desktop at the moment is topping about 12TB, and growing by about 50GB per day), so, I started looking around and saw a piece of software that seemed as though it'd work, which, is called "UNRAID" (I'm sure you've heard of it... probably, looks popular). I'm considering buying the double licence (I break stuff, scared the pen-drive will break) 'Plus' (Medium) licence package (Which will allow me to have up to 6 drive, which, I'll be upgrading soon to the "Pro" version (Which is the highest, allowing me to have 21 drives)).

Now, on this computer I felt as though I might as well use the fact it's going to be on 24/7 to my advantage, I'm going to be running SABnzbd+ (A usenet automatic downloader, which, uses a fair amount of CPU power when unraring/verifying the files via par2 files), plex (Media broadcasting software, allowing any computer in the house too watch any file off it, which, when using the 'transcode on the fly' option also uses a small amount of CPU power) and a few other (Less CPU intensive) programs. I'm also going to be buying a few IPCCTV cameras to place around my house and save the data directly to this media PC, then delete the footage after a week (Sound like an easy bash/python script, 'if modification date > EPOC time of 1 week, delete the file. this helps). Long story short, I need a decent data PC in my household.

Since this is my first time building hardware, I have no idea if I missed anything, if the items I chose aren't very good, or, simply that they just won't work together. Here's a list of what I've currently chosen out (Not looked for cheaper prices of these products from other sites yet):-

Case(I realize this seems to have bad reviews about it being a low quality case, but, since it's under the return policy for 30 days, I feel as though I might as well take a gamble and see if it's okay. Also, since this is my first time ordering from newegg (I'm from the UK, I'm moving over to the US, which, is why I need to buy all of this stuff) may I ask if newegg are easy to deal with for returns? Can I just call them up and tell them that the case is low quality & "requires 100 lbs of force to close"
CPU
MOBO
RAM (Seems insanely cheap)
PSU (Is 620W big enough? I plan to, one day, upgrade this to 20ish drives)
GPU (Cheapest item I could find, MOBO didn't include on board graphics. I need this just in case networking doesn't work and I can't SSH/TELNET into the box)

Thanks, Nick.

Solution
Only thing I would say is it looks like you're building a server with enthusiast grade kit. Was a proper server board and some Xeons (or Opterons) too expensive ? I just think if you need reliability you might wanna go there.

Not sure about the PSU but as a rough guide this isn't bad....

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

just stick your spec in there.

Everything is compatible with everything else though.

smokincola

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Only thing I would say is it looks like you're building a server with enthusiast grade kit. Was a proper server board and some Xeons (or Opterons) too expensive ? I just think if you need reliability you might wanna go there.

Not sure about the PSU but as a rough guide this isn't bad....

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

just stick your spec in there.

Everything is compatible with everything else though.

Solution

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
For the boards, I can place some more money into it, however, I don't seem the real point. If the only point is that the chance of the MOBO dying fast, then, I think I'll keep to this board, however, if there's a bonus (Such as less chance of data corruption, faster speeds, or other items like that), then, I'll look into it. Could you please explain the differences between my current board & the more expensive boards?

Also, I was a bit generous with that site (E.G. saying I have 20 sata drives, which, I don't, but, I do wish to get to that point some day), and it outputted 849 watts. I think I feel as though I might as well upgrade to a 1000W item, just to be sure, and, because the price difference is pretty small. I'm currently looking at:-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028

It seems to have good reviews, a lot of sata power plugs (Which, will be required) & is [strike]1000W[/strike] 950W. Other than that, I have no idea how to rate a PSU.

choucove

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
That NORCO rackmount chassis looks like it is utilizing a ton of molex power connectors to run the hot-swap hard drive cages. Your normal power supplies are not going to have the number of necessary molex connectors. You will have to look for something specifically designed for that type of configuration, or look at getting a barebones unit that already includes the necessary power supplies. Supermicro has many barebone configurations and even chassis with power supplies installed that might fit your need. I also would recommend looking into a server platform instead of an enthusiast desktop system. The hardware is just built for that kind of environment and usage, it's built for that 24/7 constant run time where most desktop hardware just isn't.

reggie14

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Just beware. unRAID has gone almost two years without a new release. Lime Tech seems to be a one-man show, and that one man is really struggling to complete unRAID v5. The current release version, v4.7, has known bugs that can lead to data loss.

AutomaticCoding

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
This has currently been put on hold due to multiple issues with my ISP, other companies like my ISP & some other virtual world issues. I'll probably continue this in ~ 2 months.

@Reggie14, may I ask what that bug is? And I was considering using the 5.0 beta myself, the 'known bugs' didn't seem too bad, although, obviously there are some non-known bugs.

@Choucove, my desktop is on 24/7, that's desktop hardware? Is there a real difference? I've had my desktop on 24/7 for the last three years.