Looking for cheapest PCI-e 1.0 GPU, in UK

pixering

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I am looking for a GPU with:
-Enough power/speed to run Blender, Photoshop CS6 and Minecraft. Over 256MB memory.
-The ability to run 1080p video and HDMI.
-As cheap as possible (I have seen some under £25).
-No cooling fan (AKA completely silent).

I have PCI-e version 1.0 graphics card slots in my PC.
I have 3GB DDR2 memory (RAM).

My current GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405:
Core clock = 425.0 MHz
Memory clock = 666.0 MHz
Memory size = 64mb
Power supply = 3 pins
OpenGL version = 2.1

Some I've found:
GeForce 210 (512 MB) on ebay
GeForce 210 (512 MB) on amazon
My ebay search (lots of them that look similar)

Solution

All my advice basically applies. The HD6450 512MB, fanless card is likely your best choice. I'm in Canada so can't recommend a link. I bought one cheap for my sister.

HDMI:
I noticed you mention this. Just be aware that an HDMI output on a graphics card can only pass certain audio codecs like Dolby Digital, MP3 etc. The processing is done on the graphics card not the normal sound card.

*If you wish to hook up the HDMI output to an HDTV be aware of two things:
a) You don't use the same VIDEO output as a monitor. You have to use the HDTV section (i.e. 1080p_PAL50 output)

b) You will need to change your "Audio...
CS6 can only take advantage of certain newer cards, and even then it's for a few limited features.

So your CPU is going to handle all the processing anyway.

*If you have 32-bit Windows be careful to limit the amount of VRAM on the graphics card. 32-bit Windows can only address 4GB total and that includes your normal RAM, VRAM and some other minor things.

In other words, if you buy a 1GB graphics card you'll lose a small part of your 3GB of System RAM.

**It really doesn't matter too much on which card you get on the processing side. 512MB is optimal as the maximum VRAM to prevent loss of System RAM (if you have 32-bit Windows). If you have 64-bit Windows simply get an HD6450 1GB card for brand new for cheap since again, the GPU is not going to really contribute much.

I assume you read this if you have a 32-bit OS:
http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs6-32bit.html

and this tweaking guide:
http://techheavy.com/2011/02/speeding-up-photoshop-cs5/

Summary:
- cheaper GPU isn't going to matter
- optimal VRAM for 32-bit Windows is 512MB (with 3GB of Sytem RAM)
- HD6450 or similar card is cheap
- Windows 64-bit get 1GB or more VRAM
- again, CPU is going to do most/all of the processing. VRAM and System RAM are fast scratchpads to prevent hard drive slow buffering.

rambisco

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
http://www.ebuyer.com/265966-asus-ati-6450-1xdvi-1gb-no-fan-low-profile-90-c1cq0f-l0uanayz-eah6450-silent-di-1gd3-lp-

No fan, and beats the GeForce 210. Not sure about performance in blender, etc. though. But if you were fine with a 210, this is better. Tad more expensive though, but I think it's worth it.

Not sure what you mean by "slow" HD Video. If you mean your computer can't play it without stuttering then you need a graphics card like the HD6450 with hardware acceleration, then install K-Lite Codec Pack (FULL) 32-bit and use the included WMP-HC as your video player. The HD6450 can process MPEG2, AVC and VC-1 codecs usually.

Flash video/Youtube etc should also be hardware accelerated.

You'd also want to DISABLE any advanced video in the Catalyst Control Panel as it ruins the video.

Fine if he has 64-bit Windows but he should get a 512MB version if he has 32-bit Windows as it appears. As I say elsewhere he'll lose some of his System RAM if he gets a 1GB card and that's more important than having 1GB vs 512MB of VRAM.

All my advice basically applies. The HD6450 512MB, fanless card is likely your best choice. I'm in Canada so can't recommend a link. I bought one cheap for my sister.

HDMI:
I noticed you mention this. Just be aware that an HDMI output on a graphics card can only pass certain audio codecs like Dolby Digital, MP3 etc. The processing is done on the graphics card not the normal sound card.

*If you wish to hook up the HDMI output to an HDTV be aware of two things:
a) You don't use the same VIDEO output as a monitor. You have to use the HDTV section (i.e. 1080p_PAL50 output)

b) You will need to change your "Audio Device" to "AMD HDMI" instead of your "Realtek" or whatever sound chip or card to pass the audio from the movie out to the HDTV (and back again to use the normal speaker outputs).

Solution

pixering

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

The HDMI would connect to my HDTV (with audio).
So basically, I could only get audio through the HDMI port, unless I change back to the sound card?
Also, I don't understand a). Would it work if I just go to the HDMI input on my HDTV?

There is NO connection between your sound card (or onboard sound) and the graphics card.

The graphics card has a little audio chip that can DECODE certain video codecs and send them out via HDMI to your HDTV.

If you right-click the audio icon in the lower-right of your desktop and choose "playback devices" you can choose between your onboard sound OR your HDMI sound.

So if you hookup your HDMI output to your HDTV you can send it the audio decoded in most videos, but NOT game sounds and some other sounds as your audio card/chip decodes those.

*If all you need is video sounds then you should be okay to do it this way to leave the audio source as "HDMI".

Sorry.
Meant "can DECODE certain audio codecs" (not video)

Hope the above made sense.

*I really don't get the POINT of the HDMI output on an addon graphics card. It only works with certain videos so WHY would many people hook up to an HDTV if they can't process game or other sounds? Strange.

Laptops with HDMI work fine.

There are lots of confused people hooking up their computers to HDTV's to play games and getting no sound. (again, it's possible through the PC input such as DVI for video, plus a 3.5mm input for the onboard sound.)

*SUMMARY
(may wish to PRINT this):
It sounds like your two different HDTV's may be setup like this:

HDTV#1:
Video-> DVI (PC input, acts as computer monitor, can resize games etc)
Audio-> 3.5mm stereo cable

HDTV#2:
Video & Audio->HDMI (normal HDTV input using HDTV mode such as 1080p_PAL50)

Setup:
You'll need to configure both TV's separately in your video card Control Panel. You should have video to both screens at the same time.

Your AUDIO may have to be toggled between "HDMI" and the normal "Realtek" or whatever onboard you have using the method I mention above (audio icon in lower right of desktop).

Other:
- HDMI input may need a bit of rescaling to fit
- color settings MAY be too bright (disable advanced audio and tweak in Video Control Panel)
- *May need to read your manual to confirm maximum screen resolution (usually 1360x768 or 1920x1080 for monitor, or 720p or 1080p for HDMI)
- PAL50 is UK (PAL regions) and NTSC60 is US (NTSC regions)